NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Joey needs his claws cut

remedy

hello every one my 2 year old grey needs his claws cut ive had him less than a week and he is very nervous. he is very slowly geting used to me but we are no where near the phisical touching bond yet and if i try to put him in a cat box he will go mental and i do not want any set backs because we are only just connecting,

do you think i should wait alot longer, until he will be ok to get in the cat box?

Hello remedy,

I am not certain why his nails needs cutting. Are they really too long or just sharp?

Waiting would be the best path at this time. If you do not have cement or similar type perches in his cage, you should purchase them and install. They will get and keep the nails in check. :-)

Dan is right, the claws may just be a little sharp but they need a certain amount to be able to climb and play, I end up with a few scratches on me all the time from Josey's nails but they are not too long. You need a few of those cement perches strategically placed in the cage for maximum usage to keep the talons in check.

Greetings remedy,

The claws should not be cut unless they are too long and most birds do not ever need them cut. In general you can tell if the nail is truly too long by observing the bird when standing on a flat surface (like a table). If when standing on a flat surface the front foot pad touches the table then the nails ar not too long. If the foot pad is lifted off the table then there may be a length issue.

As others have suggested, nail sharpness can be mitigated by providing cement and special rough perches as an option in the cage to help dull the tips. However, do not mistake "sharp" nails for nails needing a trim. The nails are supposed to be pretty sharp and a certain length so the birds can properly grip perches and climb around. Certainly do not go for nail trimming just to make the bird more comfortable for you to hold. Trimming when not necessary can make the bird unstable, distrustful and insecure. I would hold off and investigate the need more, particularly since it sounds like this is a new bird for you that you are trying to bond with.

When my vet used a dremel to trim Kumiko's they were so rounded on the tips that he had a very difficult time staying on his perches. Since then, I've been observing him chewing on his nails to sharpen them again. He succeeded thankfully. :) Now, all I do is take a pair of cat nail clippers and take just the razor sharp tips off (to save my hands and arms from very nasty scratches.) :pinch:

• 7 months later...

Baxters nails were very sharp when I brought him home to the point they made me bleed alot and it was very painful:( . I called the pet store where they clipped nails and they recommend that I wait a month untill he was settled in good and then bring him in. I waited the month and I took him and life was so much better for me and I think he liked it too. After the nail trim, his temperment even seemed to relax more but I am not sure why but he just seemed less nippy and more even tempered. It was a joy to have him on my hand after that. Now I do have his nails trimmed or atleast the sharp points taken down about every 3 or 4 months or when ever it gets too painful for him to step up on my hand. I also have some of the perches that the others mentioned above and I think they help keep them ground down a bit, too.

I can certainly sympathize with you. When I got winston he had very sharp nails and he tore my arms up. I just put up with it for the sake of the relationship. When I finally took him in it was a good experience for both of us.

I have a cement perch but he will have nothing to do with it. It might as well be a snake in his cage the way he acts towards it.