NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Extrordinary Animals

Christina

Thank you for posting the link Christina. I really found it interesting. I was a bit shocked at how badly Alex had plucked himself and it looks like Griffin is pretty rough on his feathers too. I wonder what that is all about.

That is a great video. I agree, it is concerning that Alex was so badly plucked and Griffin appears to have similar issues going on. It may just be that they were/are "pluckers", but makes you question whether something about the way they have been kept is contributing.

I too enjoyed the video and Spooky may have hit the nail on the head about the dry air in Arizona, I can see where the plucking may have been more likely there with the dry air, but then I am of the opinion that some greys are going to be pluckers no matter what.

Thanks for sharing that link with us Christina.:P

I'm also wondering if Dr. Pepperberg's evaluations are too limiting. Just focusing on speech in my mind doesn't really demonstrate the full range of the grey's intelligence. I mean, if you look at one of the other threads, there are several stories on there about different greys who not only demonstrate language comprehension and speaking capabilities, but also demonstrate caring, expressing their desires, an understanding of their surroundings etc.. I can't imagine those birds in that lab have many opportunities to express their full personalities if all that is ever focused on is their speaking ability.

I also found that dark, grey lab too depressing for a grey... I wish Dr. Pepperberg would either show that Griffin has a full life or if he doesn't that she considers letting him have one.

I have also been concerned about the birds in Dr. Pepperberg's study group. According to her book "The Alex Studies" these birds are kept in the lab 24/7 with no opportunity to just be themselves and have fun or socializing of their own. It's no wonder they learn what they do, they have little choice. :(

I've read that when Alex would get bored, he would start giving the wrong answers on purpose. They knew it was on purpose because he would consistently list off everything but the correct answer.

Here's a story about how Alex would behave when frustrated:

Thus we are trying to get him to sound out refrigerator letters, the same way one would train children on phonics. We were doing demos at the Media Lab for our corporate sponsors; we had a very small amount of time scheduled and the visitors wanted to see Alex work. So we put a number of differently colored letters on the tray that we use, put the tray in front of Alex, and asked, "Alex, what sound is blue?" He answers, "Ssss." It was an "s", so we say "Good birdie" and he replies, "Want a nut."

Well, I don't want him sitting there using our limited amount of time to eat a nut, so I tell him to wait, and I ask, "What sound is green?" Alex answers, "Ssshh." He's right, it's "sh," and we go through the routine again: "Good parrot." "Want a nut." "Alex, wait. What sound is orange?" "ch." "Good bird!" "Want a nut." We're going on and on and Alex is clearly getting more and more frustrated. He finally gets very slitty-eyed and he looks at me and states, "Want a nut. Nnn, uh, tuh."

• 1 year later...