NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Thunderstorms

Nychsa

Greetings everyone,

It appears Florida has thunderstorms every afternoon in summer! I'm not really sure how this is affecting my parrots and I worry a bit about them.

When ever a storm starts up, they both begin to chatter away. Jiggy makes his typical conure noises but at the top of his lungs! Bella starts cycling through all her words and sounds that she knows and at the top of her lungs too. I don't think they're anxious or scared, but I'm not sure why they start this really loud chatter when a storm starts.

I've searched the web trying to get some data on parrots and thunderstorms, but to no avail. If anyone has any insights, that would be great.

Cheers!

Terri

They're more afraid of lightning. Put a cover on them when that happens. Thunderstorms really don't frighten them. They will make a parrot sound off really loud though. Sometimes they do that with music too, trying to out do the sounds. There's a lot of thunder storms when they come from and long periods of drought. They just perch on the canapies of the trees until the storms pass<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/07/08 23:00

Even if they aren't afraid, I'd say they were anxious. High wind is a serious threat to wild birds, separating flock members, and injuring or killing some. They have good reason to be anxious. Luckily the indoor parrots have less to be concerned about. :)

All - thank you for all the responses :)

Dave, the blinds are usually down far enough so they won't see the lightening. They've never been covered, so I'd be concerned about how they'd react to being covered!

Tracy,Zpydr, M2, I think you all are hitting on a common theme, namely a reaction to bad weather and a desire to keep the flock together?

Well, if Bella and Jiggy consider the Greyhounds as part of their pack, they sure chase them out of the room with that racket!!!:P

I don't have a clue about storms but if the shower or washer or anything loud is on poppy will instantly start to chatter, i think it has something to do with in the jungle, if its noisy that means there is no predators around etc etc.

please correct me if i am wrong :D

So far as I can tell Josey is not afraid of thunderstorms and we have had a few good ones lately, I think if I don't show any reaction or fear to them then she won't either, you know how easily they can pick up on those feelings of ours.:whistle:

My hubby is a turkey hunter and he says that when it thunders a tom turkey will gobble back to it like it is answering the call.:blink:

I live in Virginia and inland so we very seldom have any hurricanes but we do get some heavy rain and winds off one now and then when they come close enough but if there was any danger I would put her in her travel cage ready to get out if necessary.

Poppy, I just moved here, but the plan I have is if a hurricane comes and we need to leave, I have two travel cages that they can stay in for up to a week. I'd use those for the birds in the event of an evacuation.