NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is an African Grey right for my family?

AmanderaaLynn

Please, please help me, for those of you that already have African Greys. I understand that I need to do my research on them before I get one, thats what Im here for. But, I need to know that I will be able to cope with having a bird like this and all the responsibilities that come with it. I am only 14 at the moment, and so I need my parents permission to allow a bird into the household. :dry: We have someone to take care of it while we are away, that would be my grandma, but my parents aren't too keen on the idea. They are afraid it will be too much work for me on my own. Do African Greys commonly get attached to one person only? How often do they need to clean the cage? I have a cat and a dog, too. Are they very noisy? Someone please answer my questions, i only want to learn.

-Amanda

i'm afraid that unfortunately, a grey wouldn't be the right bird for you. As a matter of fact, for many people, an african grey isn't a good *first bird*. They aren't loud but that would be the least of your problems. A person has to devote a lot of time into having a grey. Yes, greys are known to be one person birds and that has to be dealt with immediately and it would have to involve your whole family on a constant basis. Grandma would have to be an experienced bird person in order to deal with a grey.

Listen dear, you're only 14 yrs old. You've got high school ahead of you. You have boys in your future, college etc etc. Try to enjoy your youth while you're still able to. I can say other things here but they wouldn't apply to your situation. Even after you doing research, I can already tell you that at this time in your life, you're not ready for a grey or other similiar sized parrot. If you really wanna parrot, start off with a small sized parrot that can live in a cage 24 hours a day. A grey needs to be out of their cage for a good part of the day. The cage has to be big and it's a hard job to clean. When a grey bites, it can hurt for many days and sometimes they even put holes in a person's skin so a person can bleed alot. And, do you wanna know something? The person can't even scold the bird because if they do, the bird will bite them again and again. Everyone here has been bitten seriously by their grey and sometimes, that person winds up crying. The most important thing you should know is that a parrot is a wild animal and will always be a wild animal no matter where it lives and how long it lives there. Dogs and cats are different cause they're domestic animals.

I'm sorry to say but I do not think it is a good idea. Greys can live to be 50, so you could have it till your in your 60's. Plus, if you go off to college they don't allow pets on almost all campuses. I'm sure your thinking "well, someone could keep it while I'm gone at school..." but that could send a grey into mutilation from the separation. Even if your family went on just a short vacation your grey could start plucking...would you still want him if he looked like a plucked chicken? Also, I spend at LEAST 3 hours a day with my grey...are you willing to give up that much time a day every day? That means you can't leave for school first thing in the morning and then go over to a friends house right after school and not come home till 8 o'clock at night. Greys can very much be one person birds, and the person that buys the bird are not always the "chosen" person. If your grey liked your mom or dad better than you would you really want to still spend all the time cleaning up after him and cooking meals for him and only get a nasty bite in return? From what you said with your parents not to keen on having him it sounds like if he wants to be with them then they won't want to take over ownership of him. Also, you can't work at your age...are your parents willing to buy pellots, seed, fresh fruit and veggies every week? Toys are not cheap...they are around $15.00 a pop and greys go through toys like they grew on trees...are you going to be able to spend at least $30.00 a month on toys alone? Lets talk about vet bills...a well bird checkup can be anywhere between $150-$300 and need to be done by an Avian Vet...not just the vet down the street you would take a dog or cat too. If there is an emergency would your parents be willing to pick up the tab for that? A woman I know has a parrot with an infection that doesn't want to clear up and she has spent $4,000 so far on treatment and he is still not cured yet. At your age you would never be able to pay for extensive treatment like that. Greys are extreamly smart, sensitive birds that have needs very much like a small child, and at 14 I really don't think you are ready to take on such a huge responsibility. I wanted a parrot sense I was a little kid and I did not get my first birds till I was 18. I started with finches and learned a lot from having them and now I have a flock of 14. You should maybe look into getting a pair of Zebras...they are a GREAT first bird and once you master them your could work up to the more exotic finches like the Owls, Stars or Gouldians. If you HAVE to have a parrot, maybe a Cockatiel would fit better. They can talk, learn tricks, and are very loving if you get a hand fed baby. I know this is not what you wanted to hear but it is what would be best for the grey and you to wait till your at least in your 20's and you know what your life is going to have in store for you. I'm now 23 and I have had my grey now for over a year and I'm very happy I waited till I did to get him.

Amanda, welcome here :) You do good to ask around before committing yourself to something like this. I hope the answers given here help you in deciding. There are many other lovely birds as well who don't require the amount of attention and dedication an African Grey does, have you looked around a bit? :)

I'm inclined to recommend a smaller parrot to someone so young. If you like the idea of a big personality, then a parrotlet would be a very good "first bird" for a young lady such as yourself. They are feisty, adorable, and are very good at entertaining themselves when you are too busy. As you are entering into your middle teens, you will be getting busier with school and socializing with friends. Then there's college, as mentioned above. If you have a parrotlet, it will be much easier to get a caregiver to take care of your bird while you are away. Good luck with your research. ;)<br><br>Post edited by: M2MM, at: 2008/06/29 09:56

Hello Amanda,

First, I commend you for taking the initiative to research and ask questions regarding the up-keep of a Grey. Most your age do not give such import matters a thought at all.

The others have given excellent responses, though they may seem a little unfair at the moment. I think in a few years you will look back and realize the wisdom in their words.

Once you are out on your own and have the resources, time and home to accommodate one of these magnificent creatures. If you still have that hole in your heart that wants a Grey. Then is the right time to get one.

Cheers to you and I wish you well. :-)

You're showing a geat deal of maturity by doing your research and not making an impluse decision. Many greys end up not being cared for properly and needing to be rescued because their owners (usually fully mature so-called adults) didn't know what kind of commitment they were getting in to, and lots of us have re-holmed birds who need extra love and care because of it. By waiting until you are older myabe one of these special greys will find it's way into your life. By all means, look in to some of the smaller breeds of birds that the others have mentioned. Just make sure you have a place where it can live and be part of your family, and where it won't feel threatened by your cat, who might look at a smaller bird as a free lunch:P

Amanda I am glad you asked us this question and of course you are getting the responses you would prefer not to have but the others have spoken the truth.

You are still very young yet, you have your high school years and maybe college ahead of you, enjoy those times, they will create many happy memories that will never be replaced. You will be involved in many other activities and making new friends. After you finish schooling and settle down in a new job with a place of your own, then will be the time for the decision to make for this lifetime committment to owning a grey.

I know this is something you have been wanting but you would do such a diservice to a grey if you plunge in too soon, so many end up in rescues and need rehomed because people didn't fully think it thru. Believe me you will be happier for it and that grey you do eventually get will be so much the better for it too.

Everyone who has spoken before me has hit the nail on the head. I JUST got my first Grey two days ago, and he is a handful! And I am 20... I've found that having an African Grey is exactly like having a child..are you ready to have a child? I'm glad that you posted this before you went and got one, thank you.

Greys are very demanding. At your age I'd suggest parakeet, a cockatiel, or even one of the smaller conures. (The green-cheek conures come to mind, as they are fairly calm and quieter than their cousins).

A customer bought our green-cheek for her 12 year old daughter about a year ago, and sometimes she brings it in on her shoulder :).

I am like you, i jumped in at the deep end, i had two love birds but they were no fun. ( mainly because they were abused as chicks and had no trust)

So i did a load of research and got one (CAG). It made sense at the time and i don't regret getting her, its just i would advise you to look at other people who have parrots, if its possible, and see if you think its suits you.

A parrot is a family bird and will see you and your family as members of the flock, so if you cannot persuade your parents to let you have one then there is no point, especially if all of you are not going to look after it!

I see my bird as a baby, you have to feed it clean it, clean the cage and the floor about 3-4 times a day, talk to it, amuse it, don't let it become aggressive (this is one of the main reasons it isnt good for a first bird, you don't know how to control it. Of course you can read books to learn more about how to control your birds behavior, but you wont truly get a sense of how to keep it until you have one.

They take

TIME

MONEY

LOVE

not nessacerily in that order!

:lol:

So i would advise you get something like love birds but make sure they are young or taim and come to your hand and stuff other wise its a long struggle to regain there trust.

LOVE BIRDS RULE ;)

Good advice poppyparrot! I definitely agree, that Greys are NOT a good choice as a first bird. The smaller, feisty little parrots are better for training up their "owners." :laugh: After all, we are their pets, really.

BMustee has me a little worried after this comment..."I'm sure your thinking" well,someone could keep it while I'm gone to school..

Well being gone to school does not worry me(been out a while). However, going to work everyday, Monday - Friday,40 hours a week does. My husband and I do not get home until 5:30 pm, after that we can give our grey(once we get it, 2 more months to go)plenty attention. It never crossed my mind for anyone to keep it during the day. I figured our grey would stay in the cage. Does anyone else have this problem, working all day? Is my thinking on the right track?

Going off to school is much different then going to work. I was working 2 jobs for months, working 60 hours a week, but I came home between jobs and on lunch breaks and Elmo was still out of his cage for 4+ hours a day. If you go off to school, you could be hours away from home and may only be able to come home on the weekends at best. If she really wants a grey now then she would have to have thought about the "what ifs" in the future and a 14 year old girl with her mind made up on wanting a parrot would think something to the effect of "someone could take care of it for me"...and being a 14 year old girl myself not that long ago I remember being the same way. So why you would be worried about me making a valid comment is beyond me.

A Grey is not a good first bird. The reason a grey is not a good first bird is because they are emotionally very demanding. My Grey goes from being the cutest bird in the world to a dragon in a matter of seconds. He can be hard to read by other people and has a tendency to bite first and ask questions later. He is a brat and he was cage aggressive and unsocial in his previous home. They take a large amount of patience and knowledge. Winston is no longer cage aggressive and is very social with everyone.

I was just a teenager when my mom got Winston and I had a lovebird at the time. We also had a pheasant farm and I took in many unwanted parrots and pheasants and rehomed them. I have a ton of experience with birds of all types. I suggest that you get involved in a bird club and get to know some people willing to show you how to care for birds.

You are smart to do research first.

I have 2 dogs, a cat, a bird and 2 horses. The horses are the most demanding of my pets. I have been out of school for 6 months but I had a full time job and full time school. I keep my horses boarded and I drove out to care for them everyday and I maintained a 4.0 at school. If you want to do something bad enough you can make it work for you and your pets.

BMustee, your last reply, little harsh, you think??? sorry to upset you over your valid comment. I thought you made a good point. Me worried about school or the 14 year old..no..that was not my point. What I am worried about and never thought about was someone watching my grey all day while I am at work. My work is to far for me to come home on lunch or breaks,same for my husband. That means we would not be able to give our grey any attention until the afternoon. I was wondering if anyone else had this same problem as we do, not playing with their bird until the evening. I figured no one needed to watch the bird during the day, I thought the cage would be fine. Is it better for someone to watch it? Will this be enough attention for a grey? Does anyone else have this promblem, If so, how do they handle it? That's my question's and what I was worried about, not you making this comment. You brought up a good point, one I have not thought of.

I'm just very, very stressed right now...I just lost a baby CAG. Sorry if it seemed I was being harsh.

Working normal hours is fine for a grey. I think it is actually good for them. They know that you leave but you do come back home and they learn how to keep themselves occupied. Now that I only work one job again I don't come home during the day but Elmo has learned my hours and from what my stepmom has told me if I'm running late Elmo will start calling for me. A lot of people with plucking greys are people that are home for most of the day and then all of a sudden have to start leaving. Never learning that when you leave you always come back can start separation anxiety. One lady on this forum had a grey that if she even went to the store for an hour it would start plucking because for the longest time she was always home. I never have anyone watch Elmo for me, and I actually don't want any of my family too. I don't want to worry if he was let out and got into something while I was gone or given something he shouldn't have...my family isn't bird people. If I go on a trip I'll have one of the girls from the store watch him for me...at least I know they know wht they are going:laugh:.

Hello Codysmom,

As Bmustee correctly said, working a normal job and your Grey being home alone is not a problem.

We both work 40+ hours a week also. In fact, I work in San Jose all week and drive home on Friday afternoons, most the time. My wife leaves at 630 in the morning and does not get home until around 430 in the afternoon. Dayo, of course is like a child bouncing up and down in gleeful joy at the front door as mom/dad arrives.

The important thing here is consistency. They know the home schedule and in fact seem to almost demand a good schedule for everything. They even seem to know it's a weekend and that your home for 2 days for some full-time attention and day long out of cage time too.

You'll be fine and your no different than most of us Grey and other Parrot owners. After all, someone has to go work, make money and lavish them with GreYt toys, exotic foods, big-bigger-biggest cages and playstands!! :laugh:

Thank you... Thank you ....This is the info I was looking for:) ..You both have answered my questions in your replies. I have not read about anyone going to work and if there were any issues..sounds like to me it will work out fine,if not, I will worry about it then. As of now, me staying home is not an option. So I have to go to work to buy all those bird toys..I just can't stop buying them..Now I am on the hunt for a playstand.(I may make one..will see) Thanks again for the info!!

BMustee sorry to hear about CAG...I can see were you would be stressed:(