NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Starting a new fishtank

BMustee

I've had FW fish tanks sense I was a kid and I have been without one for about 5 years now. I just moved all the furniture in my room around (Elmo did fine) and I now have room for one. I also moved Elmo away from the window so I would like to give him something new to look at as well. I would like to have a huge tank but I'm just going to set up a 20gl for now.

Here is what I'm going to put in it...

Panda Cory

pandacory.jpg

YoYo Loach

botia1.jpg

And Sunset Wag Platy

sunsetwagplaty.jpg

Wag7.jpg

I've been cleaning them sense I was like 4 so it's not big deal for me...and I used to have a 75gl so a 20 is a pease of cake!

It's going to look soooooo nice! I'm going to have white sand and natural looking decor in it. I'll be getting the tank tomorrow and I'll post pics as soon as I have it all set up.

Thanks Toni, I have worked the whole tank around the Panda Cory...I love them and had them all growing up. I didn't think I would be able to do the Sunset Wags because when I went into Petsmart to look at their fish and saw them the tag said they needed added salt. I talked to some fish people online and they all said they didn't really need it and they would do great in a loach tank.

I'll take pics of the whole process during setup and post them...I can't WAIT!!!

Cool tank Berna. Those Sunsets are pretty and easy to care for.

It will also provide entertainment for Elmo while your at work. You may want to pick up a goggle/snorkel set for him though, in case he decides to pay a visit to the tank. ;-) B)

danmcq wrote:

You may want to pick up a goggle/snorkel set for him though, in case he decides to pay a visit to the tank. ;-) B)

{Feel-good-0002006E} I made sure the hood was a good fit because that sounds like something Elmo would do!:woohoo: :silly: :pinch:

From what all a read the Sunsets should do really well...everyone says be careful or they will "over run" the tank, but I can always sell them to the store (we don't have them there). I'm used to having all loaches or Oscars so having the livebearers will be new.

Here are a few shots from the setup...

009.jpg

010-2.jpg

Elmo checking out the new diggs...

012-4.jpg

And Elmo finding out I have the camera...

013-3.jpg

White sand. It's the first time I've used sand before but I've been talking the fish guy Franks ear off on how to maintain it and from what he has told me it's really not that different than gravel...you just have to clean the bottom a little different.

The sand is better for the loaches and corys too...it won't damage their whiskers like the gravel can.

Hahahaha...he does look like he is looking for something!

If my water is in good shape by the time I go into work I'm going to get a couple cory to start with...don't want to get a bunch and have the water condition crash and kill them all. I'm going to get some more plants and a background too.

I asked Frank and he said sand with koi would be fine. Just be sure to keep the filter high in the tank (like I have it in the pics) bacause goldfish like to stir up the bottom and the sand will burn out the motor.

I just got the 6 Sunset Wag Platy fish I wanted. They look sooooo nice.

006-1.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2008/06/28 04:58

Thanx for asking Berna.I think once Im able to go down the family room I will do that.It looks very nice.

Are you going to put a back drop behind it? I have this cool wavy blue retro back drop.It gives it a water look almost.I found it in my pet store when I started mine back up.

Yeah...I did't have time yesterday to get one but I'll be getting it today. I'm thinging of getting one with a planted rock scene on it. I'm going to hold off till Monday or tuesday before I get the cory becuse I want to be sure the water has stablized first.

I have a couple yoyo loaches in my 30 gallon tank. I love them. So much fun to watch and they keep the snails out of the tank. Since it is planted it is a great help.

I just love my fish tanks so relaxing but none of my birds are interested in them at all.:laugh:

Koi? in that tank. Not near big enough for those. They need ponds and around 300 gallons each.

I love the look of sand in a tank but not the best to grow plants in and it can get in the filters and ruin them.

So I have plant substrate in my planted tanks and just plain small rocks in my goldfish tank.

Your tank looks great. But with all them platy in there don't think you have room for the other fish you wanted unfortantly 20 gallons is not a lot of space for fish.

My 20 gallon only has my 5 white cloud mountain minnows and one betta. And I am maxed out.<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2008/06/30 12:26

Tari wrote:

Koi? in that tank. Not near big enough for those. They need ponds and around 300 gallons each.

I love the look of sand in a tank but not the best to grow plants in and it can get in the filters and ruin them.

So I have plant substrate in my planted tanks and just plain small rocks in my goldfish tank.

Your tank looks great. But with all them platy in there don't think you have room for the other fish you wanted unfortantly 20 gallons is not a lot of space for fish.

My 20 gallon only has my 5 white cloud mountain minnows and one betta. And I am maxed out.<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2008/06/30 12:26

I don't have koi nor do I want them...not to knock them but I don't like any goldfish.

I only have 6 platy, I'm still going to get the cory but I am rethinking the yoyo. The cory are smaller than the platy and stay at the bottom...there is still room for them.

It has nothing to do with where they stay. lol It has to do with their waste. 6 platy when full grown well be 3 inches each at least so that is 18 inches and that tank should only have about 20 inches. One cory might be ok but I would think about taking one platy back so you can have two and if the platy produce babies your in trouble. lol

Good luck.

PS just so you know I am not just saying this off the top of my head or to hurt you in any way. Most pet store people have not luce about pets at all.

I have been keeping fish tanks for over 20 years now and I use to over stock. I learned the hard way many years ago not to do that I tend to understock now less work and less deaths.<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2008/07/01 13:05