NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What does you Grey's name mean?

spookyhurst

Since there are a couple threads about what to name a new grey, I thought the rest of us could say what our bird's name means.

Nikko (pronounced Nee-ko) is a form of Nicholas, and means "victorious people" in Greek. In Japanese, it means "daylight" or "sunlight".

It's a boy's name, but oh well. Nikko doesn't seem to care :silly:. When we found out Nikko was a girl, my nephew said I should change her name to Nikkorella :sick:.<br><br>Post edited by: spookyhurst, at: 2008/06/06 09:21

Thanks for the pronunciation guide! I would never have guessed that's how you say your birdie's names. They're very pretty! Irish names are tough to figure out. I never knew how to pronounce Seamus until recently, and found I really like that name.

Our bird's name is Obi (pronounced Obie), it's an African name meaning heart or soul. Obi was born the same day my Mom passed away, December 7, 2007. She was our 25th wedding anniversary gift (May 12th).

I felt heart/soul to be very meaningful as hearts are so full of love and when you have true love, you love with the debth of your soul.

We had a difficult start, as this is our first large bird and had to learn how to handle her. We've made so much progress. She is sitting on my hand/arm, allowing me to pet/scratch her head and loves it. She's very affectionate and loves it when you pet her head. She still gets a little nippy, but I can handle it by not pulling back so quickly out of fear. I say a firm "no bite" and she listens every time. We love her so much and she's bringing so much joy and happiness into our lives.

Sioban - WOW, I would never have guessed the pronunciations of all of your names - lol - while reading, I pronounce them in my head exactly has they look - lol - very unique names. By the way, I love your grape face picture!

Dayo - African Yoruba language - meaning "Joy Arrives". Boy has it. :-)

A bonus is, he has a Theme song "The banana boat" song:

Day-o, Day-ay-ay-o

Daylight come and me wan' go home

Day, me say day, me say day, me say day

Me say day, me say day-ay-ay-o

Daylight come and me wan' go home

Hey, Dan - I didn't know Dayo meant "Joy Arrives."

I always just thought he was named for the song...

See, I learn something new every time I come here!

Klaus is named after Klaus Baudelaire, a character in Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events". I often wonder if people see Klaus' name and just think we're a little bit TOO into Christmas! LOL

Here is the meanings of Elmo.

of Latin and Greek origin, and its meaning is "amiable; God's helmet". Variant of Anselm and a short form of Erasmus, the name of a fourth-century bishop-martyr who is patron saint of sailors.

The electrical phenomenon sometimes seen in the rigging of ships at sea is called Saint Elmo's fire.

Also the name of a furry red toddler-monster on the TV series "Sesame Street".

elmo-2.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2008/06/07 04:07

Dorian is from the story by Oscar Wilde called "The Picture of Dorian Grey". I've always loved the story, and the idea behind it, so when my little monkey came with his name, luckily I liked it. I wonder what would happen if I had a portrait painted of him and put it in my attic? Then again, he's already getting away with evil behaviour, so what's the point?:silly: :S<br><br>Post edited by: Acappella, at: 2008/06/07 20:11

Kipusa is Swahili for "pretty girl". We call her Kip for short and sometimes Ruby for the pretty red tail and just to confuse her! She says her name all the time "Kip", "Kipusa", "Good girl Kip", "Whats your name?....Kip!".

What wonderful names! Wonderful thread idea Spooky, it was a pleasure reading all the names and their meanings :)

I was initially going to name Bella - Tashi. Tashi means good luck in Tibetan (my conure's name is Jigme which is also Tibetan and means Fearless, and anyone who knows Jiggy knows that is the perfect name! His nick name is Alexander - his motto - attack it no matter how big it is, or what ever it is!!)

When I met Bella, the only thing I could think was "beauty".. she was SO regal, and beautiful and the name that kept coming to mind was Bella - Latin for Beauty.

If there were a name Rascal-Beauty that would be the best fit. But at that time I had no idea what a rascal she'd turn out to be!