NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Getting a very young bird?

shanlung

http://parrothouse.com/congotimineh.html

Above is a very interesting article to read.

Especially for those who are thinking of getting a very young not weaned bird (any kind of bird) in hope of bonding with.

That is not even necessary as Tinkerbell was already past weaning when she came to me. Yingshiong was about 3 years old when he was captured from the wild and came to me when he was 5 years old. Yet you can see how they bonded with me.

Getting birds young, or even getting 'hand-fed' birds might even work against you in the long run.<br><br>Post edited by: shanlung, at: 2008/05/30 19:30

This is a must read for grey owners it makes perfect sense that this is why Grey become phobic and pluck I think that we must learn from this so that we have less Congo's that become phobic. It can be done we just have to allow the birds to grow and mature as they would in the wild and if that is not until they reach close to a year old then they should stay with the breader til then or at least acouple extra months after they are fully weaned just to make sure they are old enough and mature enough to be put into a flock situation or new grey owners if gettin them after they are weaned should keep that baby by itself and very gradually introduce it to the rest of the flock so they then become the sole parent until its old enough to become and be able to decide for its self if something is okay or not okay

in other words we must learn not to rush our Grey into becoming full flock members as soon as we bring them home we must be patiant and go very slow with them. and not be intrdusing them to to many things to fast. That way they will be able to build confidence slowly and more naturally

Nice_to_Chat_Patricia-1.jpg

Pchela,

That article was not actually written on young birds

but on a totally different issue altogether.

I read that sometime back. But when I re-read that

last night in a new light after my wife (who took most of the photos of Tink and me) replied to my forwarding of that to her. (she in Singapore and I in Dubai).

I seen all too often little chicks , some with eyes still closed, offered for sale. Because there is such a demand. And too often we read of 'hand fed' parrots offered for sale. Because of the perceptions that they make better 'pets'. And as I pointed out, young or old make good companions. Companionship is a relationship between you and he/she. Not just because you raised them from young.

There is no fault with you handfeeding your CAG.

The more you know, the more you will be prepared

and the better the chances of you living a good

rewarding life with your grey. The most important part is that you must not try 'Alphaship', and you give your baby all the respect and consideration due to any other sentient being.

And I know you will have a good and rewarding life with your grey.

Shanlung

shanlung wrote:

The more you know, the more you will be prepared

and the better the chances of you living a good

rewarding life with your Grey. The most important part is that you must not try 'Alphaship', and you give your baby all the respect and consideration due to any other sentient being.

Shanlung

I agree with you on this 100% Shanlung. Many people can only relate raising and interacting with a Dog from Puppy to Adult. Birds of any type are completely self sufficient and have no "Pack pecking order".

Any time we bring a critter in to our homes. We have the responsibility to study and understand (Hopefully beforehand) that critter, it's natural characteristics and expect it to act nothing less than it's species specific traits, strengths, weaknesses etc.

Granted, taking it from it's wild and natural habitat, breeding them and then trying to domesticate them from chick up, changes many things. But, it does not change the foundational driving instincts, physical or mental attributes they come pre-programmed with.

Each Grey or any other Parrot for that matter, is an individual, while retaining the general and prevalent physical and mental characteristics of it's species specific traits. It will develop it's own, view, style and level of relationship it decides to build with each and every individual it interacts with from birth to death.

The first actions and steps any owner takes with their Grey's are the foundations upon how it will decide which relationship level he/she and that owner will have. It has nothing to do with what the owner wants. However, the owner can guide that relationship from the beginning, if they have studied, remain observant and respond appropriately to the minute by minute reactions from that Grey from the moment they meet them and continue doing so through out their life as that relationship continues and grows.

I view plucking and self destructive behavior as nothing more than a reaction to 1) boredom 2) nervous behavior out of fear or frustration 3) insufficient emotional/physical interaction 4) A call for help from their "Cell" (Cage) 5) A continuance of a behavior once started, that has now become just a "Habit" (Like Nail Biting)that keeps them amused. I believe this is true in most cases if no underlying health problem exists.

I do not think, that plucking or other phobias, are a result of hand-feeding to the weaned point and then letting the new owners take the Grey home before they are a year old.

On the other hand, I do not believe that taking the un-weaned baby home thinking that by finishing the weaning process, the new owner will have a "Closer" bond with their bird. It is dangerous, when performed by an unexperienced person and does nothing towards guaranteeing that bird will love them deeply for it.

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words Shanlung! I researched a ton before I got my bird and am still researching so I hope I do okay. My only concern right now is that with me being the handfeeder, he might switch loyalties when he reaches the age that he would leave the family unit in the wild. We'll see I guess.

Dan,

What you wrote is almost what is in my mind, except that your grammar is better than mine.

"On the other hand, I do not believe that taking the un-weaned baby home thinking that by finishing the weaning process, the new owner will have a "Closer" bond with their bird. It is dangerous, when performed by an unexperienced person and does nothing towards guaranteeing that bird will love them deeply for it. "

What you said above is the real key. Physical needs is just one facet of the relationship. The emotional needs of the beastie all too often have been ignored. And then they go on and wonder why their beastie has an 'attitude'.

Pchela,

Let there be no end to the research that you are doing. Its time to worry when you think you know it all and need not learn more.

Enjoy your time with your babe and do not worry too much.

Earthquake , or typhoon, or global warming might hit you way before he switches loyalties.

Shanlung

Thanks Shanlung for posting that link for a very good read and you and Dan share some good and similar thinking on these matters.;)

"""Let there be no end to the research that you are doing. Its time to worry when you think you know it all and need not learn more."""

So very true!!!:)