NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Reason for owning a grey

casper

I wanted a grey after surfing youtube for videos on lorikeets, and ended up looking at ones on greys. What clinched it for me was Alex and Dr Pepperberg.

I was amazed at their intelligence (admit it, "birdbrain" IS an insult), and the companionship they provided.

Admittedly the ability to talk and mimic was also appealing, but I did a lot of research before committing myself to getting a CAG. Neither of my lorikeets talk, and Cleo is far too young to tell. Regardless, all my flock are here to stay, whether they talk or not. I love chilling out with Cleo in the evenings when we both watch tv. I can't read when she is out though 'coz she is hellbent on destroying the book!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rescued an Orange Winged Amazon by the name of Gizmo last May, she is five and im her fourth home already. Gizmo had a torrid time in one home. She has come on leaps and bounds. Gizmo doesnt speak but makes great noises and i love her so much.

I got Dusty my baby grey in December, she is nearly eight months old and adorable. I decided to get a handreared bird and only had one thought a GREY. It was more due to stuff i had read about them being great companions. She says a few words already and comes out with something different every day by means of noise.

Already ive encountered a very intelligent bird who is curious, playful and has her own way of telling you how she feels. The eyes/facial expressions crack me up they are so true. Im not saying my ammie Gimzo isnt clever, the past hides that i think and she is more clever than she makes out. Dusty has brought Gizmo right out of her shell. There are down sides like the noise level of the baby grey copying the mature ammie, but hopefully Dusty will grow out of that xx

Here is a pic i made a couple of months ago, they are just getting this close again lol

355923950_585456.gif