NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Reason for owning a grey

casper

Would be interesting to find out how many people buy a grey just for the talking factor! I have seen adverts and been on other forums where greys get to say 2 years of age and dont talk much, people decide to get rid of them! This really annoys me and I feel sometimes this is the reason for a lot of re-homes and some of the birds get less attention than they should which could lead to behaviour problems. My Charlie only says a few words and it really wouldnt bother me if he didnt say anymore, I love him for who he is as I do with my other pets. I also dont think people realise what time is involved with looking after a grey properly and respect those people who come on here and do their homework before they purchase a grey. Just my thought for the day!;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest Caroline i don't think many people will put their hands up & admit it was the talking factor that attracted them to acquiring a grey, but I'm sure for some people it was the case.It does seem at times that speaking is a big issues for some owners. I for one never got my greys for their mimicking ability.They have far more to offer , speech was just an added bonus alongside their complex personalities.

Ok, hands up ! At age 13 I was intrigued w/ the breed because of the talking. After thorough research trough life I became attracted to the more reason of owning an African Grey. I feel my reason now is because of its beauty,personality and companionship.Like Tracy said, the speech is a bonus.

I had just recently lost a bird who was a GREAT talker, a gorgeous eclectus. I wanted a bird that did not look like him, so I would not expect it be like him, and I have been interested in greys for a long time. I wanted a bird who would probably do at least some talking because I had grown used to having birdie conversation, but that was not the main thing for me. I was fascinated by the obvious intelligence and sensitivity of these birds. Jenna is a baby and does not talk yet, but I love her sounds and vocalizations, so even if she never talks, I will be happy with her :-)

People who have never owned a Parrot have no idea the time and patience it takes .All I can say is the Grey is the most awesome creature on earth .I would love mine if he never spoke .The beauty of just watching them at play , is so rewarding .They can comunicate without speech . It's like my female dog , she was born naturally docked .The first vet who she saw when she was a puppy said , "oh she won't have a personality" ...I never went back .Well my dog is 8 years old and you should see her wiggle her b hind , it is so cute .So they don't have to talk to express themselves.

People really should take note to all the post about how everyone fusses over their birds .They take a lot of time, and it is aweful to get rid of one because they don't.

Mary

Human talking that parrots do is most of the time, just mimicing. The greatest achievement is when you learn what the parrot is saying all day long in it's language. My parrots don't have to talk to me in the human language cause I know everything they're saying to me all day long and it takes a certain amount of a parrot to person verbal relationship to develop but one day it does happen and human talking isn't important. Each of my birds say a different thing but apply it to the exact same thing such as going to sleep.

1 bangs his bell around. 1 starts to try and lift his water bowl up. 1 gives out a partial wolf whistle. My 2 quakers walk on the bottom of the cage squawking a special squawk that they don't do during the day.

To me, thats the best communication but I can understand that human talking would be important to others.

I got a grey because on their intel and their not so clingy steriotype. I didn't want a really needy bird like a cockatoo or a loud bird like a Macaw or Amazon. I can't lie, I loved the fact that they were the best talkers in the parrot world, but I really didn't care if the grey I got would talk.

Elmo has become quite a talker, with a vocab that seems to get bigger and clearer every week. Right now Elmo's contact call it "I love you", and hearing a pet call that out pulls on every heart string.

The big intrigue for myself was the intelligence of the Grey and being able to use reasoning. Dr. Pepperbergs studies highlighted that greatly and brought it to the public eye more than any other in history.

The communication abilities of course are of great importance in demonstrating the level of understanding these creatures have.

As Dave said, paying careful attention to your Grey's actions, body language and sometimes speech as a whole, tells you precise communications at times. At other times, they are just happily singing, making noises and whistling just because they want to. :-)

Dayo now "Mocks" the Mockingbird morning song due to hearing it every morning for the last Month. I had to do a double check yesterday, to make sure one had not flown into our house. B)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/05/31 15:08

Not I. As a matter of fact my owning a grey was never a thought till a bird club member called me and told me Que's story.

First buyer backed out cause of her scissor beak and she was 6 months old and needed a home soon.

Even when I went to look at the bird I was still thinking no. But when Que made that cooing sound I was in love. {Love-00020118}

I have never gotten any bird expecting it to talk and would tell anyone who ask that wanting a bird for the talking is the the worst reason to get a bird and get a new human friend instead. JMO

Oh yeah, I get people in the store all the time saying they want a talking bird. I flat out tell them that not every bird will talk and that the greys won't even start to talk until they are a year old. Then I ask them why else they want a bird...most of these people have nothing to say to that. After their silence I tell them the novelty of a talking bird is short lived and that parrots live very long lives of 5o+ years. If that doesn't drive them out of the bird department then telling them the cost does. LOL, I had a woman looking at our large flight of Lady Gouldian Finches and start asking me questions about them. I start telling her all about the care and upkeep when she cuts me off by asking me...no lie..."How well do they talk?" Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! I started laughing and then I realized that she was serious. I told her, "No, they don't talk...but the male will sing." Then she turned to the finch wall and asked "Well, which one of these do?" I could not believe my ears!!! I told her that no finches will talk, just parrots. As always when I told her how much the Greys and Macaws cost she walked away. Some people not only should never have pets but should really be taken out of the gene pool too.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2008/06/01 05:15

LOL BMustee - Taking them out of the Gene Pool....:laugh:

I do agree with you. The really sad statement this makes about most humans. Is that they think getting any critter from Goldfish to Parrot is nothing more than purchasing another throw away item.

Goldfish died, oh well....wonder why?

Hamster died, oh well....wonder why?

Guinea Pig died, oh well....wonder why?

Parakeet died, oh well....wonder why?

The BIG problem is. These people have spent zero time giving thought to the purchase of a living being. They just do it on a whim. They do no research into what that species requires in regards climate, diet, cage, light etc.

I don't know how long you will keep your job though. You keep running potential "Sales" out of the store. That is counter productive to making a profit, which is why that store exists and your job. :P

Good for you!!!!

Karma to you.

I know some people who I would like to remove from the gene pool but that is another story...........:whistle:

I would be lying if I said the talking ability didn't have a small factor in why I was drawn to the grey but I wanted a larger parrot than the sun conure and also one that was not quite as loud.:S But their intelligence is what made the decision for me and now that I have her I could not imagine life without her.:kiss:

When people come to visit, they are intrigued by Bella. Several have said they'd want a grey after meeting Bella.

But, that always scares me a bit when they say that. I generally get on my soap box then and explain just how much time/day I spend with her and how much work it takes to keep a parrot healthy and happy.

I also try to explain that Bella isn't just a "pet". She's my feathered companion. She has "synched" up with me the way no other animal ever has, and that is because of the intelligence behind those pretty grey eyes. I've had dogs all my life, and pretty much know how long it takes to train a dog to do this or that. Bella's intelligence is breath taking - you show her something once or twice and she's on it!

So, I try to get people to appreicate that you can't take and animal like that and simply put them in a corner somewhere and tell them to entertain you with "talking". Bella and Jiggy together are a non-stop comic show around here, but that's only one side of them.

I don't know if people understand me.. I hope they do. I'd hate to think someone hastely obtained a grey just because they thought Bella was so "cool".

I am very glad that the largest bird we sell at my store is a conure -- if I had to lay the smackdown on people trying to get talking birds all the time, I'd just walk out one day.

Store directors hate me because I will talk people *out* of buying animals (even fish) all the time -- my sales suck, but somehow my bonus is always ok and my loss stays low, so they can't really get on my case too badly.

I don't work at a pet store and I still have talked at least two couples out of buying a grey! I was looking at a young female grey and overheard people talking about buying her and so I, of course, pipe in and tell them I own one (we all know he really owns me!) Anyway, the first question is, of course, does he talk? So I tell them he does, but explain how he's a secret talker, as many greys are from what I've learned here and from other reading. Then I cheerfully started describing how much work they are, how much mess they create, the money for toys, food, the trouble finding an avian vet. All said with humour, of course, but I got my point across. Just lucky there was no staff around! To be fair I've always found staff who deal with the birds at this particular store are really excellent and really do know their stuff.

I wish there was some way to make every single person who is about to buy a pet bird first read the 'Bill of Rights' posted on this forum. I think it would weed out most impulse buyers with more disposable income than common sense.

btw, I fell in love with Dorian before he ever said a word in front of me. He's a classic closet talker, the opposite of a performing bird, so he'd never say a word when people were in the store. Actually, one of the things I hear him say sometimes is "Does he talk?" because he heard it so often in the store.

Yeah. Also called a very gay lighthearted bird who is shy and is always waiting to come out of the closet but only when the general population will finally accept him or her. Does a lot of talking when alone cause it's practicing what it's gonna say when that lovely coming out party finally arrives.

I'll be honest, I have a grey because I wanted a bird in my home. I missed having them around. I owned a love bird with zero talking ability and if my family's grey didn't need a home I would have another love bird. So I don't own a grey for talking ability but I do enjoy his talking, its a great bonus.

danmcq wrote:

I don't know how long you will keep your job though. You keep running potential "Sales" out of the store. That is counter productive to making a profit, which is why that store exists and your job. :P.

LOL...well, lets hope the store owner never reads this! Hahahaha

I don't sell very many large birds because I talk people out of the thought of getting one or tell them to think about it and do some research online about exactly what "type" of bird would be best for them. I'm much better at selling finches and canaries...they still make the store money because some of them cost $300 a pair and a single Canary is $129.99.

That is too funny, a grey that asks if it talks. I would try to teach a closet talker to say "FABULOUS"! hahaha

My mother and I had parrots when I was a kid. We had one fly in our window...it was a Kakariki...from Australia. The vet said it seemed like it "fell of a truck"...it wasn't tame really and was very sick. I was maybe 10 or 11 and the vet prescribed meds in the form of shots to his chest. My mother couldn't handle it so I did it. His name was Friday because that was the day he found us. He died a few years later and we got a Jenday Conure. I think my mom had to rehome him because we were moving...anyway, I've always been interested in birds. I knew I'd get one as an adult, I just didn't know which kind. I must admit, seeing the AGs on TV performing got me thinking about getting one. I was attracted to AGs and their ability to communicate...not just talk or mimick, but actually communicate. I really lucked out with Harrison because she started talking so early. She not only talks, she communicates. Another thing that attracts me to AGs is how emotional and sensitive they are. However, sometimes it's pain in my butt...but mostly I love her for it. I guess it's the human-like traits in AGs that attracts me.

When I got Tyco I got her because she needed rescuing just like my other birds Tyco only Knew 3or4 words when I got her and she made the most annoying mimmicing sounds like the garbage truck backing up and car horns honking because those are the sounds she heard locked in a dingy dark room with a heavy blanket over her. Now she has a huge vocabulary and its gettin bigger by the day but I got her because she need somebody to love her unconditionally for the rest of her or my life which ever comes first and when I die My daughter will take over giving her the love she needs. Four of my birds are rescues and even though I had to pay for all of them I did so without a second thought because of the situation they where in and I knew I could give them the time, patiants and love that it would take to rehabilitate them. Talking ability had nothing todo with it Luna one of my birds has never spoken a word and I got her when she was 2 and she is now 9yrs old. She is the most sweetest loving bird. and she makes her needs known without saying a word.

Animation1.gif

Dave007 wrote:

Yeah. Also called a very gay lighthearted bird who is shy and is always waiting to come out of the closet but only when the general population will finally accept him or her. Does a lot of talking when alone cause it's practicing what it's gonna say when that lovely coming out party finally arrives.

Oh my! Do you think they're getting into their mom's nighties while in that closet?? Naughty Naughty!!!!!:ohmy:

No, the bird has enough feathers and frills of it's own. I doubt that mom's clothing would be appealing. Probably too worn out and wrinkled plus people would think that he's a drag queen. You wouldn't want that for your little birdy, right? He simply wants to come out of the closet and be a free spirit in all of his/her gay splender. He wants to be accepted. He wants people to think there's nothing odd if he decides to go to a club where most of the people are wearing leathers and spiked collars.