NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A question of sex - did you take the test?

kukushka

Hello all. I'm very curious to find out how many of you have had your Greys DNA tested to find out the sex. I didn't even know this could be done until recently. Everyone seems completely sure of the gender of their bird, so did you find out for sure or do you just assume? I have just put a deposit down on a beautiful Grey and I have no idea of its gender. It will have to be an 'it' for now. I need to think of some good gender-neutral names for the time being!

So, did you take the test?

No neither of mine have been DNA'd. I decided Liath was a she, and the breeder thought Oisin was a he. I am pretty sure they are different sexes, but whether we have them the right way round or not I have no idea :whistle:

A neighbor of mine has two love birds, Fred and Ethel with Fred being the girl and Ethel the boy, and you know what, they never complained once.

It's what "you" are comfortable with calling your bird, because your sweety could care less as long as he/she is loved to pieces. :P

I had Obi DNA sexed by sending a feather to a lab for under $20. The breeder thought she was a boy and we thought she was a boy. We were going to be happy either way because the sex really didn't matter to us, but it was fun finding out.

I have never had Lyric tested and I guess it doesn't really matter to me what sex he/she is. He always seemed like a he to me, so that's what I called him but even if Lyric is a girl, I don't think she would care that I call her a pretty boy! I guess it is a completely personal choice on whether or not to have it done.

there is a way to tell if its male or female but you will have to wait until it has its firs molt or it doesn't work the site I pasted on here will show you how

http://exoticpetvet.net/avian/appgreys.html you may have to type this onto your browser but it should work

Canadian_Girl.jpg

Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2008/05/29 22:37<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2008/05/29 22:43

I have just had my second grey tested who I thought was a girl, just got the results yesterday and she is a he! Makes no difference though but we decided to have this done when he went for his check up at the vets, I got the vet to do the nasty deed of plucking the feathers out then sent them off myself. Cost about £14.00 and took 5 days for the result.;)

A question of sex - did you take the test?

I was never sexed. My thingy said it all. I didn't have a DNA test nor did I have to molt. Johnson saved us lots of money.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/05/29 23:57