NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice - A new baby or adopt an adult?

kukushka

Hello everyone, I'm totally new to this whole parrot-keeping thing. Kept Budgies and other animals before so I'm experienced in animal keeping but I could really do with some advice. I have been doing a lot of research recently with a view to purchasing an African Grey, but I'm not sure whether I should buy a youngster from a breeder or dealer, or whether I should adopt an older bird from someone else. There are always Greys advertised in my local paper looking for new homes (I assume people didn't realise what they were getting in to!) and I like the idea of giving an unwanted pet a second chance. But will an older bird be completely boded with its current owner and totally hate my guts forever? What are the chances that an older bird will bond with a new owner?

I'd really appreciate you guys' input!

Cheers.

Well there is pro's & con's for both, whatever your decsion you will need, time & commitment to either a baby or an older grey.

An adult parrot in a new home can become very bonded to its new family. On the other hand, an adult bird with social problems may never become affectionate and may never even like its new guardians, but that has less to do with age than it does with how the parrot was raised and treated by its previous humans.

There's no reason why you shouldn't welcome an older bird into your home. Yes, its personality is pretty much formed by the time the bird is well into its adulthood, but if you can accept the bird for who it is as an individual, then you may find a good friend, even if you had nothing to do with its upbringing.

Baby parrots are sweet and practically beg you to take them home.You can share the journey of your baby growing up, you can train your baby etc..you can socialize it with all family members,it really is up to you & what your expectations of either a baby or an older bird are.If it boils down to a bonding issue for you then a baby may well be the way to go but even then at some point in it's life a grey may pick a family member to bond with & there is nothing you can do about it.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll need to think about what exactly I'm looking for in my pet. Just good company I think. I don't mind having a bird that's a bit set in its ways. You should see my cat! She's ancient and grumpy and is only interested in sleep and food, but I love her all the same.

Hello Kukushka,

welcome to the group . I have never had a baby Grey , I have had two rehomed Greys . One TAG who passed away and now a three year old CAG . Both bonded with us , however they both came with some baggage . The TAG, was a darling bird who had been left alone in a room locked up , so we always had problems getting him back into his cage .LOL...He was very sweet and I miss him and always will . The Congo , that we have now is three and talks up a storm . He keeps us laughing all the time. He has some issues that we are working on and it just takes time . I also have a one year old female Alexandrine whom we have had since she was three months old . She is adorable and has no baggage , she is a model bird , now that she is over the first few weeks of being in a new home . I think it depends on the individual , however I always want the whatever that no one else wants . They all need time , devotion , love , and lots of attention . I am sure any Grey will love you , because of the love you give . The more you give , the more they give back .There are a lot of wonderful Greys out there who need another chance, people sometimes give up because the bird doesnt act like they want it to , or like you said didnt know what they were getting into.It is a life long relationship, like with a 5 year old child .... We do have to remember they are wild . It is an honor to have one in our homes . I love them and think they are the greatest .

Can't wait to hear more from you on your decision .

Kind Regards ,

Mary<br><br>Post edited by: bettyboop, at: 2008/05/28 01:41

Thanks again. I'm a bit nervous about getting my first parrot because I know what a big commitment it is, so I want to try and make the most informed decision. I thought maybe my lack of experience would suit training up a younger bird, although my preference is always to give homes to unwanted pets. I have to admit I've sort of fallen in love with a Grey at a local dealership. I went in just to have a chat with the owners and I met this parrot and I totally wasn't expecting to fall in love with it. I was reading about what people said, how the parrot chooses you, and I felt so chuffed that it let me scratch it on the head. I even enjoyed being bitten! (Kushka you weirdo). I felt like maybe this is the one for me. But I SWORE to myself I wouldn't get one until later this summer. I guess it's like having kids; there's no planning for it!

Hi there, I just adopted my grey May 10th. I stumbled across her in a pet store where she was surrendered.

Sammie definitely came with baggage but she did the same and stepped up for me, let me in her cage, let me give her scratches, etc. I dont know if this is what is called the honeymoon period or what, but she has had her moods and issues which are all discussed in this forum if you would like to check it out. I have found ways around them with the help of this forum which is a great place with lots of grey owners who will help you out with which ever way you choose.

I'm so glad I adopted Sammie rather than getting a baby. She is wonderful even with her issues. We are still getting to know each other and she is doing great with the kids. Good luck

I adopted Nikko when she was 4 years old (she's now 7). The rescue gave me a letter from her original owner, and she said she was worried because Nikko was very bonded to her. It didn't make a difference, because she bonded to the family well. She favors my mom the most, but the whole family, as well as friends, can handle her.

I find that older birds do best when they pick their next owner. I have had a bunch of "second hand" parrots in the store and I actually liked them more than the babies. One example was a 5 year-old B&G macaw that was cage bound. We clicked right off the bat, but she hated some of the other girls. She would perch on my shoulder and gurg up food for me...nasty but sweet.:laugh: :sick: :P . She clicked with a couple that came in one day and she is now in a loving forever home. I have tons of stories just like that with so many birds, that I believe if you don't mind not getting a cute little baby that you SHOULD look into an older, second hand bird. Ask the owner if you could come over and meet the bird first before you buy/adopt it. If it doesn't seem like a good fit than keep looking, but if you hit it off it could be a keeper. I got a baby grey because the local rescue didn't have any and the owner called her breeder friend that takes in her unadoptable birds and had him call me...the rest is history.;)

I rescued a Grey Congo last october she is every thing to me. I wouldn't trade her for any baby she turned 5 in February. When I met Tyco she was in pretty bad shape her flight feathers were completly barbered on one sidr which made her very unbalanced she would fall so haed on her keel that I thought she would slit the skin. I took her to the vet and got her other wing clipped so they matched and she hasn't barbered since. She chose me as hers/ when I walk in and met her for the first time and she saw me she started pacing back and forth streatching her neck towards me as far as she could when I opened the cage she litrly jumped on to my arm she let me rub her beak and kiss her beak. the person that had her at the time could not believe her eye she said that she didn't dare let the bird out becaus when she did the bird would fly at her and attack her and bite her all over her face hands where ever the bird can get her beak on. I felt so bad for the bird because this poor bird was locked in a small cage not big enough for my Conure and I didn't have any money to buy her. the woman was a crack head and wanted 800. for the bird. she kept the bird in a back room with a dirty filthy blanket over her the cage had so much poop on it the water was filthy and she had no toys and just a few seeds to eat. I left and came back the next day the same thing happen Tyco definatly wanted to come home with me I told the woman all I could come up with was 300. and would she take that as a down payment and I would be back in two days to give her the rest she said fine basicly because she new the bird really wanted to be with me. I went back in a couple days but I was still 100. dollars short she took it and I brought Tyco home. Ive always been able to kiss her beal and touch her beak but until lately thats about it. Its taken 8 months but Tyco is finally letting me give her the odd scratch on her head she will now step up onto me when ever I ask her too. and Talk when I first got her she could say a couple thing but mostly just sound effects that she heard outside like the beep beep of the garbage truck backing up and dogs barking. when I got her it was like someone took the blind fold off she is like a little spounge learning about her world she nows so many things now its incredible she asks for thing by name she can count to 3 and knows 4 different colours she tells the dogs no barking go lay down. and just latley her confidence level has gone up a trillion percent she isn't afraid of much anymore as long as I assure her that its safe and it won't hurt her she excepts it. She has now bonded to me and trustme so much that she takes my word for it. Adopting an older bird can be very rewarding. but you must have patient and don't push that bird to do any thing it doesn't feel comfortable doing let him or her choose what is exceptable and the best way to adopt an older bird is to let it pick you a baby bird also for that matter. I hope this helps you to under stand what you might be in for and the length of time it may take to earn the trust of an older bird. Tyco cam with a lot of baggae I'm her fourth and last owner so she had real trust issues I'm actually suprised that she came around so quickly. Its taken lots of love and patients though

Animation1.gif

It's great to see that so many people have taken in adult greys :)! If someone in AZ is looking to adopt, Tucson Avian Rescue & Adoption's website says they will be getting one in soon.

Also, if you don't feel you can take on a bird with a bunch of baggage, don't let that scare you away from adopting. There are usually bird's available who have no issues (like Nikko), but whose owner has to give them up for some reason or another. There are even occasions where there are birds under a year old available. Whenever I see one on the adoption list, I think, "Why would a person surrender an expensive bird less than a year after they got it?" They must have had some serious life changes.

Spooky hurst, I'm glad you pointed that out. Sammie's owner died of a heart attack and then her kids took the bird, who then put sammie in a small cage and messed up her feathers and made her paranoid of water bottles,ultimately surrendering her to a pet store, so the story goes. Sammies original owner however socialized her very well. She stepped right up for me and let me in her cage and give her scratches, along with both of my kids from the get go...

i'm a big fan of animal rescue. my merlin who is a prodigy, a joy and a wonder, is a gift from heaven. and talk about baggage! ha ha ha ha ha don't we humans have OUR quirks that our kritters need to sort out? that road goes both ways that's for sure.

but life at the monkey house is truly sweet with our little group of kritters. each one is loved and accepted and they love and accept us as well.

If you have the time and the personality to take in a 'second hand' bird then I would encourage you to do it. Like others said, one of them may be out there just waiting for you specifically. Dorian definately choose me as his buddy long before his owners even decided to sell him. Phone the people advertising an adult parrot and ask if you can come over to meet it without committing to buy. Getting a bird with so-called issues is frustrating at time for sure, but it's also so rewarding to know that because of you an animal that could have had a tragic and lonely life will instead be loved and nurtured.

I ordered a book recommended here called 'The Second Hand Parrot' When I read it I'll post and let everyone know what it's like.

Thanks everybody. A lot of the books I have read gave the impression that once a Grey is bonded to a person then it is pretty much like that forever and not rehomable. I knew this couldn't be true so I wanted to hear from people that actually know, so I really appreciate your feedback.

I have a confession to make: I went to the dealership today and put a deposit down on the Grey I fell in love with. What have I done?!?! I take it home next week. Only a week to make a considered cage purchase! I feel like I'm due to give birth in a week and I only just realized I have to buy a crib and clothes and bottles and stuff. Gah I'll never be ready in time! My sister is going to KILL me! She doesn't even know a parrot is entering the household soon!

Don't worry it will all work out start looking in the classifieds for near new large parrot cages if you cannot afford a new one put an ad on line that you need one I did this and got 2 of the most beatiful cages for my birds I just disenfected and the birds don't know the difference and they don't seem to care if the do know the difference

Animation1.gif

so are you bringing home a youngun? or a re-homed adult?

i have found many times rescue org's have an overload of cages you might be able to find a good one reasonably priced.

how exciting for you! yes i remember it well all the anxiety i felt before young merly came home. but that is part of the fun too i will admit.

charge up the camera!

and pop over to farm and fleet and pick up an air cleaner while you're at it...

-s<br><br>Post edited by: sandra902, at: 2008/05/30 01:48

Thats very true I got Tyco's cage from a bird rescue Its huge 40 inches wide 36 inches deep 64 in high and It has a Playtop its a very high quality cage well made

worth around 1200 to 1500 dollars I paid 100. dollars for it andit like brand new not a chew mark or a scratch on it.they were selling it because it doesn't disassemble and they are in the prosess of looking for a new facility and the cage was just to big to move from foster home to foster home. and the best part about it is the money goes to other birds that need help finding new homes or rescueing. so I would definatly phone around to the rescues to see if they have any cages for sale. This is the cage I got for Tyco HPIM1004.jpg

Goodmorning_Patricia-1.jpg

How exciting , you chose the one you saw . I know he/she will be very happy living with you . You will be amazed how quickly all falls into place . It takes a little time to get everything squared away , but not long . We are all here to help.I am so happy for you , congrats.....

Mary

Thank you! I have managed to secure a cage for £100 that is worth about £300. The shop I'm getting my bird from had it in the basement and it's only been used once. I am very chuffed. Now I just have to go to a DIY store and buy some things to make perches from. What a bust weekend I'm going to have!

Please dont use the wooden dowels from the DIY shop they really dont benefit a greys feet.Try to get a natural tree perch alongside a cement perch, sandy perch or therapeutic perch.These will exercise your greys feet & at the same time keep the nails filed down ;)

kukushka,

Trust your heart.

Be she/he be baby or adult, and you feel

she/he is the one for you, you will know.

Be understanding with them at all times. You will

be rewarded with more than you expect.

There is another thread I started.

http://http://www.greyforums.net/forums/african-grey/79118-getting-a-very-young-bird.html#79179

Do not

be afraid to read that. After all, that adult

that you may get was that baby earlier on.

The more you know about them the more

you will be prepared to live a good life with

them

Shanlung