NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Free-flighted Carly -- photos

carlylu

Doesn't she look like she is enjoying herself so much, you have a wonderful relationship with Carly but it does make me feel a little uneasy seeing her flighted like that and not on a leash, but then you know what you are doing and I don't.

Thanks so much Raz for sharing these pictures with us, she looks really nice out there.B)

What a wonderful site you have CarlyLu!!

Great photos, information and "How To's". There is quite a bit of free flight training articles. Good reading and if not for free flight outdoors, it is great stuff to training indoors and recalling. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
wow your really brave letting her fly outside without a harness

It is nothing to do with bravery, believe me. If I had any fears that she would fly away I would not do this at all. It's all about lots and lots of training, preparation, and practice. If it was a matter of bravely facing fears of a flyoff, that would be a sure sign that the training is not in place as good as it should be. And it's not a casual type of training either -- it's borderline obsession! That's why I would never recommend it for everyone.

This is from Sid Price's training blog:

...Free flying a bird is a huge responsibility. It requires a dedication of time, certainly in the early training, that I believe few companion parrot owners have if they are being honest with themselves. It is certainly not something that anyone should undertake lightly and without a solid understanding of the behavioral principles involved in the required training.
http://avianambassadors.com/BirdTraining

But even with an outdoor flighted bird, you know what my biggest fear with her is? That she will suddenly fall ill like so many captive birds do.

I just don't want anyone to think it's about bravery -- then someone will come along who IS brave (and/or foolish), decide to try it without the proper training, and be at huge risk of losing a bird.<br><br>Post edited by: carlylu, at: 2008/06/16 20:33