NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Baby or Adult? Timneh or Congo?

Pchela

Hi. It's my first post. I have a Senegal Parrot named Hoban Washburne and am now actively seeking a Grey. I'm hooked. I have to have one! I have scheduled 2 meetings to meet adult birds who need new homes and am going to a bird mart on Saturday. A bird rescue 3 hours away have a Timneh and a Hahns Macaw that have to go together. Both are pluckers. I don't know if I'm ready for that yet but I would love to take them and give them a loving home. There are also some adorable baby Congos available (probably not for long) at a local store. So, can I get some opinion? I've haven't had my Sennie very long so am by no means an experienced bird caretaker but I have done tons of research. Problem is there are so many differing opinions on the net regarding adopting or buying and regarding the Timneh or the Congo Grey. So, I'd love it if anybody could offer me advice based on first hand experience before I go meeting birds. Thanks guys!

an adult could be easy becouse it may be over the "teenage" year, there they get more nippy! my first and only grey is a re- home plucker, and I wouldn't change that for the world, but I would not recommed get a pluckers! Timneh V. Congo! Timneh are a bit smaller and less likly to be a one person bird and I heard more playful!

Baby have that cute factor I know, but that doesn't mean you get a better bird if it a baby when yo get it.

Just look around and let the bird pick you!

P.s.This O/T but what is your senegal parrot like?

Hi Pchela and welcome!

Timneh/Congo are both great. Some size and coloration differences but most personality diff's are really just that...just like you and me we are all different. Its not so much Congo vs Timneh as it is inherent individual personalities and the environment that shapes/affects personality. I dont think you can go wrong with either. both can be good talkers, but you never know even with that from bird to bird.

Rescue is a really great thing to do, but getting a bird with "baggage" can be more challenging. If you are up to it though it can be extremely rewarding and certainly there are many adult birds that need good homes. What is your living situation? what I mean is how much time does your daily routine allow for you to spend with the birds? More needy birds will likely need more time.

Personally I would get a 4-8 month old Timneh or a 8-12 month old Congo. The species do mature at a little different rate and you can reduce the chances of them switching "favorite" people of you stick to those age ranges...though even with that there is no guarantee. Male babies are much more likely to switch favorite people from care taker to another simply as part of the mate seeking they go through as they mature. Females are much less likely to do this regardless of when you get them. So for me, I would go with a young bird so I have a better shape of training it, molding it and picking a breeder/hand feeder that I feel will socialize the animal well. these things can make a lot of difference in the overall personality of the animal.

However, some people are really up to the challenge of rehoming a bird in need and the reward of really giving a needy little one a good home and a new beginning. My next bird will be a re-home for sure, when its time for that! Not sure if any of that helps. I am sure others will weigh in.

Keep us posted on your decision and feel free to ask away! B)

If you love the greys then it is not going to matter whether you get a Tag or a Cag, they are both super birds just a little difference in coloring and size but not by much.

Since you have never had a grey before and have only had your senegal for a short time I would advise you to go with a baby grey. Rescues and rehomed birds usually come with baggage that you may not be able to deal with.

That being said we do have some members here who have rescued and rehomed greys that turned out to be wonderful companions and you will hear from some of them in the next few days.

In the meantime why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little more about yourself.

Thank you both for your replies! I am hoping that one of the birds I meet just clicks with me and I won't have to agonize over a decision. I guess we'll see what happens. As for the pluckers, you're probably right. It's probably too much for a beginner like me. Especially with two of them.

My Senegal is really great. He's just 6 months old and has only been with us two weeks. He is now doing his step ups about half of the time. He didn't know the command at all when we brought him home. He loves to take showers with me and said his first word yesterday. (he of course said it to my daughter and I didn't hear it, and he has yet to repeat) The word was "pretty" which he certainly is. Our only problem with him is he can bite a bit hard sometimes but I've read that this is a baby bird thing that he may grow out of.

Sometimes it just works that way, the bird will pick you and not vice versa.

Your senegal is a lovely little fellow from the pic in your profile but continue to work on the step up command. When he bites too hard tell him "no bite" and put him back on the perch or in his cage and turn your back and leave him for 10 to 15 minutes and then go back and try again. He will soon learn biting will not be tolerated.

Ah! Thank you for the biting advice. I have of course researched this but every thing I read online seems to contradict everything else I read online. I will try this technique!

BTW- the picture of Hoban does not do him justice. He is much brighter... my digital camera broke though so for now I only have crappy phone pics. Hope to remedy that soon.

Hi Melisa, The other members have given good advice.

A CAG or a TAG is just a personal choice,i have both & they are equal in my books apart from the obvious size & colour.

If you do not have the experience i would advise you to leave the Timneh and Hahns Macaw who are plucker's, as hard as it may be, it will involve an awful lot of time & dedication to take them both on.

I have had both rescue greys & re homes. Rescue is very rewarding if you have the time & patience to dedicate, but they do come with baggage, it may be an emotional roller coaster, so think hard about rescues.

Re homes are a good choice, it may be an owner has passed away etc.. but if you have the history of the bird you know what you are letting yourself in for.

finally babies, if you want to start from the beginning & share the journey of your baby growing up etc.. then of course this is the way.Whatever you decide you will need plenty of time,patience, & commitment to your chosen bird.I wish you well in your choice & we will be here for back up & support ;)

One thing I have not seen mentioned here yet. Is that I hope you are not thinking they will all be one flock having a ball together.

A cage for each will also be required, so space may be an issue also.

Having multiple Parrots also changes the entire environment and increases your responsibilities in ensuring each Parrot is safe from attacks and that time with you for attention and maintenance is kept fairy equal.

Some may get along with each other, barely tolerate each other or attack and mame. You just never know.

With that being said, a young Grey would probably be the best fit at this time if you are certain your really ready to take on more work, learning and responsibility.

A rescue, would not be advised at this point in your new world of Parrots. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/04/17 14:00

Hi Melisa, welcome! I understand your concern, 3 weeks ago we met a hostile, terrified, 10 year old Congo. I was looking at a baby conure, figured that was a good "step-up" from the cockatiels we'd had up to then. Then Dorian showed up on Craigslist, so we went and met her. We had NO CLUE what we were getting ourselves in to, but, in less than three weeks she has gone from lunging at us if we even paused by her cage to taking treats from our fingers gently and letting us play with her and occasionally even touching her.

If I knew then what I know now I probably wouldn't have even considered a re-homed grey, however, I also wouldn't trade Dorian for all the babies in the world.

My next grey, hopefully next spring, will be a baby. And Dorian will have a lifelong home with us.

I can't make a suggestion to you of which to get, but I do wish you luck finding YOUR new fid.

I live in an apartment so space is an issue. Of course, I know they each need their own cage and it probably is too much for us to take two right now... I just see the pictures of the Hahns and Grey pluckers and my heart goes out to them! I want to rescue them you know? But your advice is excellent. I probably can only handle one more at this time. When we get a house, that's a different story. I love my Sennie and want more, but diving right in is probably not the way to go. I think a young or baby Grey is probably the way I should go for now.

I agree you should go with a baby or very young grey at this time. I know how you feel about the two you saw, you just want to give them a good home and the love and attention they so need but you have to be practical too, maybe later you can tackle something like that.

Guest Skuffy

The Shelter with the Ugliest Bird

0841022645_Naked-Bird.jpg

Oscar is a female cockatoo who lives in the Broward County Humane Society shelter in Florida. She came to them from the Wildlife Care Center who was no longer able to care for her after she contracted a viral infection called beak and feather disease. Apparently it's highly contagious to other birds and they couldn't risk infecting their other charges.

So here came Oscar. Feather-less with just the poof of white on her head. Basically looking like a walking plucked-chicken. No one expected her to live beyond six more months. (It's actually a fatal disease for most birds who contract it and usually they don't live much beyond a few months after getting it.)

The Energizer Bunny Ain't Got Nothing on Oscar

Yet, in a testament to the power of TLC, Oscar kept on going well past the six month expiration date set for her. Ten years later the feather-less cockatoo is not only alive but thriving. Albeit still feather-lessly

Beauty is Only Feather Deep

Oscar is definitely not the most attractive-looking bird, but what she lacks in eye candy she makes up for in heart and personality. On the news clip I saw they captured Oscar's love for comedy and her quirky sense of humor. Also, they showed how she loves to talk and does a heck of a Mick Jagger impersonation.

It was hard not to be enchanted by, and dare I say fall a little bit in love with, the feather-less underdog who's beaten insurmountable odds to be the star of the Broward County Humane Society. She's definitely flapped into the hearts of all who come to know her and has nested there for life.

• 3 months later...