NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Coffee

Guest Ans

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bernie always seems very kean on whats in my cup, lol norm a nice cup of tea, so instead of me giving him some of mine, i make his own little cup up with a little warmed water in it,and he loves it! and feels he isnt getting left out ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest Lidia

Ans,

Caffeine is a big no-no for parrots. Fruit teas, like rooibos are fine. Stick with the caffeine-free stuff.

As to milk: raw and even pasteurised milk should not be offered because it contains coliform bacteria. Furthermore, many caged birds are sensitive to milk sugar, which is present in milk but not in cultured milk, so you can give small amounts of yoghurt or cheese quite safely.

"Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine. Caffeine & theobromine belong to a chemical class of alkaloids called methylated xanthines. These are found in coals, coffee, tea & in chocolate. As a class of drugs, Methylated xanthines cause central nervous system (CNS) stimulation, diuresis (flushing of fluids through the body), cardiac (heart) muscle stimulation, & smooth muscle stimulation.

Methylxanthines are absorbed very quickly & easily from the oral cavity & intestinal tract. The liver is needed to metabolize these chemicals, & the waste products are excreted in the urine. These chemicals primarily affect the CNS & kidneys. These chemicals cause increased motor activity & also result in tachycardia (too fast a heart beat.) Because of the increased motor activity, seizures may occur. The kidneys may be affected causing diuresis & very high urine output. This may lead to dehydration. Respirations may become too rapid, & hyperthermia (too high a body temperature) may occur, resulting in death. There is NO antidote for these drugs. We may only treat symptoms with supportive care & drugs to decrease their severity.

Toxic dosages for birds are not well established. In dogs the toxic dose is approximately 200 mg/kg of body weight. In cats the lethal dosage is only 80 to 150 mg/kg of body weight. (higer metabolism means that less is needed to cause toxic effects.) A cup of coffee may contain 35 to 85 mg. A 12 ounce bottle of cola contains approx 50 mg. Now these levels would mean that a 1 kg (2.2kg) cat would need to drink1 1/2 to 3 colas for death to occur. However, since a bird has a much higher metablolism than a cat, & a much smaller body size than a cat, we can safely say that it would take a much smaller dose for toxic effects & possibly death to occur.

Since we are unsure of the toxic dosages in birds, one definitely should avoid ALL caffeine & chocolate consumption for pet birds. (theobromeine & caffeine are both found in chocolate-- this means that chocolate packs a double whammy!) I reccommend that these substances be avoided in ALL pet species."

(http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/caffeine.htm)

Guest islandgirltexas

YES..GREAT POST. WHAT IS FUNNY IS THAT IN THE JUNGLE THEY EAT THE COCOA BEAN..BUT THAT IS IN ITS NATURAL STATE. SOMETHING CHANGES WHEN WE PROCESS IT. SO DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM AT ALL!!

DID YA'LL KNOW THAT THE CASHEW IS A SEED, NOT A NUT? AND IT ALSO IS TOXIC UNTIL ROASTED. IT HAS A WONDERFUL FRUIT YOU DO NOT SEE HERE. WE USED TO ROAST THE SEEDS OVER AN OPEN FIRE IN PANAMA AS IT ALSO PUTS OFF A POISONOUS GAS. BUT ONCE THEY ARE DONE..THEY SPLIT OPEN AND YOU HAVE YOUR ROASTED CASHEW. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE SO EXPENSIVE TOO. IN THE WILD..THE PARROTS EAT THE FRUIT ONLY..NOT THE SEED(CASHEW)...BUT WE FIND THE CASHEW PROCESSED IN PARROT MIX..AMAZING HOW THINGS CHANGE.

THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON YOU... TEXASF_11-3f1ed20b688674ef06166bc106eebcd6.GIF

TEXASF_11-3f1ed20b688674ef06166bc106eebcd6.GIF

Guest islandgirltexas

Bekkie wrote:

Hey guys now you tell me, I've been feeding my indian ringnecks tea for over a year now, and started to give Bekkie some as well, so I guess I have to stop before it's too late

HERE'S YOUR SIGN...LOL!!!

THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON YOU!! TEXASF_11-484a2d6e00b493196446aa49a187143c.GIF

TEXASF_11-484a2d6e00b493196446aa49a187143c.GIF

Guest Lidia

Me too, Joshua always has a sip from my breakfast cup of tea. But just one sip. Mind you, he sometimes turns the 'sip' into a long 'sluuuuuuurp'.

Everything in moderation is okay, I guess, except for really toxic substances: petrol, cyanide, etc).

Guest briansmum

i tried the warm water trick, it didn't work. brian loves to stick his tongue in my morning cup of tea, i dont let him drink it, but i dont have strong tea so i can't see how dipping his tongue in it just so he can taste the warm sweetness would hurt.

Guest islandgirltexas

TRY CAFFEINE FREE TEA AND COFFEE JUST FOR HIM. REAL FRUIT JUICE IS GOOD TOO..THEY LOVE IT. THEN HE THINKS HE IS GETTING SOMETHING GOOD. AND HE IS..HAHAHA bike14-9be058821c056442df91b38befab0e1e.jpg

THOSE CAFFEINE FREE FLAVORED PUT YOU TO BED TEAS HE MIGHT REALLY LIKE...PEACH OR APPLE CINNAMON..ETC<br><br>Post edited by: islandgirltexas, at: 2007/07/02 19:38

bike14-9be058821c056442df91b38befab0e1e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

coffee and chocolate salt advacado pears and apples are extremely dangerous to all parrots. mine trys to pinch my tea and coffee hes got no chance of having it ever !!!! best thing to do is squeeze fresh orange juice and give them or something that not concerntrated.buddy loves apple juice but he cant have it cos its concerntrated so he decided to take a like to my flavoured water but he aint having that neither. its called volvic revive here in the uk that has got 1.5g = 2% of sugar in ever 500ml and salt trace of 1% .he likes it but wether he can have it i dont really know .