cobimoore

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

regarding what raehamilton wrote...

I've been a sign language interpreter for many years so I've used the relay service a lot. The relay service is used for deaf/hard of hearing people to talk to hearing people. One thing that you said...the relay operator said "are you familiar with this service"...they say this to every hearing call receiver because if you're not familiar with what to say when you're finished with a resoponse("GA"or"go ahead"-so the other person knows it's their turn to talk) or when you're finished with the call (SK-stop keying)...then the operator will explain it all to you before beginning the conversation. So, I would imagine that part was real...and the part he emailed sounds like what a deaf person sounds like when they try to write English. Usually their first language is ASL which is English words but not always in English word order. I'm not really sure why it sounds like a scam to you guys...I just don't see it...but I'm not experienced with this stuff at all so...???

Heather - This is a major scam opperation, esp. for overseas people. The relay service covers the accent and gives a GREAT way to get people to give them the benefit of the doubt, being deaf and all. Anytime a "shipper" and western union is mentioned it is a scam...no ifs ands or buts. They send you a check well over what you are selling your goods for and then tell you to W.U the money to the third party. What they want is for you to send the money before the check clears because the check is a fake so by the time your bank knows the check is fake you have sent off the money and you are left with ether a nice chunk out of your account or you owe the money to the bank.

wow! I had a virus on my computer and ive been away for a week and just saw this. Geeze scammers are everywhere. Even in this. I tell you i shouldnt be suprised anymore with people letting each other down but it still makes me shake my head. Im glad no one fell for that either and agree that should be left to show the ignorance and spineless nature of some people. Isnt there some how you can block that user so they cant write anymore garbage? Do they have no possible way to get a real job? They'd only wished they could afford an amazing creature like our birds.

You can find free or very inexpencive birds you just have to keep looking. I got Martini for $60. But she wasn't going to let just anyone have him. There were lots of emails, pictures exchanged ect. Turns out that Martini doesn't like me much but he LOVES my youngest. She is his new mommy. He is so cute! He gets so excited when she gets home from school. I know if he could fly he would fly right to her as soon as she comes in the door.

Yes you can Suzanne but they are few and far between so you really have to be very careful, but Berna is right on this one and there are so many people out there that prey on gullible people all the time, they make a living off of it, for some people this kind of crap is their real job.

Heatherstella,

This was investigated, and it DID in fact turn out to be a scam. As I previously stated, I purposely left this thread up for members to see, and to use as an example to hopefully Save some new unsuspecting member hoping to get a grey for free, or or very little money.

There are many, many, many free birds out there but you need to be very careful and only deal with people that are local. I myself had to find a new home for my Sun Conure a few years back. I placed an ad on Craigslist and I got tons on e-mails from people that wanted him. I found a wonderful woman that had quakers and ringnecks that wanted to get my little Otto for her husband. I went out to their home and saw that all their animals were well cared for gave them Otto...free of charge. She offered to pay me what I had paid for him but I told her use that money for a vet check of tons of toys and food for him. So basicly if someone has a bird they want to give away, if they seem more into you paying to ship it or any other dollar amount move on...it's a scam.

This is a good post and I'm glad you've left it on here as well, to help inform the members of our forum. Everything on the web is not a scam and sure, there are people out there that will give away a bird for free but everything should be checked out carefully in advance BEFORE you exchange personal information or money of any kind. Anything that mentions they will send you a money order or check for more than what it should be and they want you to do something with that money is a scam- walk away, don't fall for it, don't give your money to someone who will do this again and again wherever they can find an unsuspecting person with a good heart. Perhaps a good sticky topic for one of our rooms would be "Internet scams and how to avoid them" or something similar. Great work everyone!

• 4 years later...

Now I have read all comments so yes agree keep it on for others to be made aware, remember when I was looking for my Alfie in UK found ads that sounded alot like the ones you guys are on about, makes you mad this day and age that they can still get away with it

• 1 month later...