NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Children and Parrots

Tari

I had to disagree with this:

"You don't get rid of the other child when a baby comes so why get rid of the parrot when the baby comes."

Umm people do it all the time! Ive known lots of people who have gotten rid of their kids, say if they get remarried and have kids with someone else.

I have a friend in boarding school, she was shipped off the day her stepbrother was born.

It happens all the time. Kids, dogs, birds, cats, rabbits, ect. When something new comes along that interests the person more then they get rid the things they are bored with. Fact of life.

now birds I might be able to see re-homing with a kid, they are not domestic but wild animals.

But dogs, cats, and rabbits, there is no earthly excuse. They are domesticated, and very easy to train. All of those animals are used to living in large family groups.

They might not initially like the new intruder as they see it but they can be trained to respect the baby and eventually enjoy the new member of their household.

For aggressive responses to the baby, the only reason a dog would act aggressive to a child/baby is because you let it. I would suggest getting a trainer that could show you how to handle your dog prior to the birth/incoming of a new baby/child.<br><br>Post edited by: loyallyroyal, at: 2008/08/29 23:48

just because people do it all of the time does not mean they should. If you can not control a bird then there is a very good chance you can not control a child. The bigges problem is people who do not think before they act. Too many people act without looking at what they are getting into or thinking about future plans and events. I have wanted my Grey for 16 years. I waited until I believed I had covered everything I possibly could before bringing one into my home. And I will tell you what, read my blog and see that I still did not cover it all and am still able to care for my family ( child included) my job and our Companion bird).

I am sure there are limits and stipulations that take some of the free will decisions out of peoples hands, but I believe I make responcible decisions and hold my self accountable for my actions and the effects they have.

( intended for discussion only , no intent to offend in any way shape or form)

Very respectfully,

JC

Well I got big news for you, a lot of people cannot control their children so how are they gonna control a bird, (expressing my opinion which I freely give)

And you are right JC, a lot of people act before they think it out.

Again, expressing my opinion which may not reflect the opinions of other members of this forum.:lol: :S :whistle:

Oh boy, this is going to be my first post other than on the welcome page, but here goes...

I'll start by saying that I agree that often animals are acquired without much forethought I personally find the numbers of homeless and unwanted animals maddening. However, I had to temporarily rehome my birds due to personal circustances, one of which was being pregnant which put me on complete bed rest, then the resulting care of my daughter who was born almost 2 months early who needed round the clock care for quite some time, then the resulting divorce (which put me in the poor house for a while). By the way, I was supposed to be unable to have children so that was not a factor in my decision in adding feathered children to my family.

My solution was to home them temporarily with my grandmother who had recently lost her TAG. It was a hard decision, one that hurt me greatly to make, but it was one that needed to be made. I hand raised both birds and was closely bonded with both for many years. They have been with my grandmother for four years while I rebuilt my life, my finances, my stability, but they are coming home next weekend.

I am not ashamed of doing what I did because I know it couldn't have been different for me at the time, and I know placing them with someone that was home with them all day giving them the attention and quality care they needed was best for them as well. I just ask that some of you who have very "black and white" thinking about it, consider that things don't always work out as you plan, and sometimes difficult decisions need to be made.

Thanks!

Stephanie

judygram wrote:

Well I got big news for you, a lot of people cannot control their children so how are they gonna control a bird

I have to agree with this. It is really a question of finding the balance in how you, yourself, manage the different aspects of your life - aspects being your role as a parent, as the owner of a companion bird, as a spouse, as pretty much everything important you're doing with your life. If you cannot manage any one of these roles by itself (e.g. if you can't handle your children), you're going to have trouble managing them together.

Still, I think that sending your parrot away permanently should be an absolute last resort, and only done when in the best interests of both the bird and the child as well as yourself. And I think you did a great thing there Stephanie, temporarily rehoming them was surely for the best all around.

My own experience has made me a firm believer in the stance that pets and companion animals, of any kind whether they be fish or fowl or four-footed creature, do no harm and in fact enrich our lives by teaching us how to practise self-control, empathy, compassion, concern for others, everything that we express when we care for these creatures. Take a pet away from a child and you are taking that learning opportunity away. Will the child be worse off for it? Maybe not. But how much better off the child could be if the pet hadn't been removed.

By the way, I am not advocating that every child have a pet plopped in its lap and be left to care for it. The entire child-pet interaction is our responsibility just as much as child and pet are separately. Many people have already said that you do NOT put a flighted macaw within reach of your baby. To my mind, there is no difference between that precaution, and taking a hamster out of the hands of a child who is squeezing it. You take basic precautions, you stay alert, you supervise your child and teach him/her how to handle the pet. You alter the lifestyle of yourself and your bird if you have to. Yes, he will hate being clipped or shut up in the cage more often, but he would hate being sent away even more. Clipping him and locking him up is temporary. Rehoming is all too often permanent.

On a personal note, I am single with no children and am not planning to have any. But if the unexpected happens one day, which is still possible at my age, I believe my experience with Nicky will make me a better parent. As to those people who kick the parrot out the instant they get pregnant and with no other good reason, I have a pretty good word for them - GIGO. Garbage in, garbage out. They obviously didn't bother to learn anything from their bird, and they most likely won't have much of value to pass on to their child.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What a great topic! I see this all the time on Craigslist... It not only happens to birds, but it happens to cats and dogs, too. :( I'm 28 with no children, and as of right now, I don't plan on having any. (My brother had plenty for the entire family!) However, if in the future I decided to have a child, my flock would stay put. I really enjoy cutting up fruits and veggies for them. I really enjoy having them eat at the dinner table with me. I would really miss them if they were gone. I would find a way to make it work, and I would probably ask my brother for advice! He has two Cockatoos and has raised 3 children around them. His oldest child is now 15. (His oldest bird, Baby, is 30.) He knows his birds and taught his kids about them as they grew older. He also worked with his birds to accept the children, and gave them the same amount of attention as always. They are the family pets and every one can handle them. The kids love them, and they have learned responsibilities about parrots. Kudos to my brother for running the family farm! :lol:

It can be done! How much love for your flock do you have?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree with everyone. You see that all the time on all animals. I could never do that! They are like Family. My Husband even tells me he wish he was a Bird or Dog. LOL! Like me I want to get a marmosett Monkey as a pet But I will Wait till my Kids are Older and none in Diapers. I dont want to change 2 diapers. LOL!

• 4 months later...

In my opinion a person should think LONG TERM and consider the future. Do you have kids if not do you want kids down the road, Can you handle the time/care/attention of both a human child as well as a feathered one?

People NEED to really sit and think of everything. These birds live a long time if cared for properly and become so close to their parront/s. I cannot imagine getting rid of my Dalia and forcing her to have to get to know someone else all over again. Very stressful for them.

"Of Parrots and People" is a great book.

http://www.amazon.com/Parrots-People-Fascinating-Catastrophic-Intelligent/dp/0670019690

I think people forget that these intelligent creatures are already living a life very different from those in the wild. They have to live with and tolerate their humans world. We as humans should change our life to best suit the birdies, not the other way around.

It’s very sad that now a day’s parrots have become merchandise to be bought traded and sold for hundreds or thousands of dollars.

All to benefit and suit OUR world. When we are the ones who went and sought out parrots as pets years and years ago.

I just wish that ALL people could understand that these little birdies are more than just a pet to place on display in their homes, nor are they to be torn apart emotionally when the owner decides that they don’t fit into THEIR life anymore.