NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Grey Mutations

Connie

• 3 weeks later...
Liuchino the White is an Albino. An Albino has no pigment a Lutino has yellow pigment, though i can remember seeing one photo of a Lutino African grey and cant seem to find in again. If any one has a photo of a Lutino it would be great to see ??

This is a very complicated subject... A Albino, lacks all color, including eyes. In a Grey, the color of blue is missing, hences, "Albino". You can also have a breeding mution of a "White Grey" Which would have normal eyes, red tail, this is not a albino. Lutino, means the lacking of the color Green/yellow, as in cockatiels, Amazon's etc. Red eyes, white color, or the mutation of white body and normal eyes. So, a green/yellow bird, no pigmentation, red eyes, is a lutino. [in cockatiels the word is use as a body color mutation] A white Grey, no pigmatation is called the same as the human counter part, a Albino....Thanks Jay d

Bear with me please, I'm going to try and explain this in short form.....White mutation a natural mutation.. How? it is a sex-linked recessive gene. A bird, hen has 1 X gene, a male has 2 X genes. The Y gene of the hen is to short to carry the gene, so she can carry it on the X, The male if this gene is carried only on one X, you have a normal colored bird, if it's carried on both X on the male, you male a white bird. So , if you remove the melanin [gray] and the color gene, you have a Albino of White Grey.

Jayd, Would you be able to direct me to where i would find more information and break down on Genes in Parrots ?? I find this very interesting.

Hi, here's a teaser to start with, in the next couple of days I'll go through mu files for you, I have a very good site on "Color Mutation".. Bear with me..

Jay d

http://birds.about.com/lr/identifying_color_mutations_in_birds/124391/2/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Rorschach has the red factor. He has red feathers on his belly and his back. The vet never said anything about it being a health issue but I also wondered if it was caused by his spine problem. He has a hump (crooked spine) on his back and the vet says he wouldn't be able to fly up. This has since been proven wrong and the hump doesn't seem to bother him or affect him, he seems to be a pretty happy bird and he enjoys flying around the apartment. When I get home from work I will upload some pictures where you can see his red feathers.

***Doesn't some red factor have to do with plucking?**

No, it has nothing to do with plucking. Some greys have a couple of red feathers spread through the body. Those red feathers are there because of an excess of a certain gene that has to do with color. It's the same gene that controls red tail feathers. The excess gene comes from the parents or grandparents. Many very young greys who haven't had their first molt will more than likely molt out those feathers and the feathers that replaces it will be the normal grey color. If a bird has a couple of red feathers that remain after a few molts it will remain red but the bird won't get anymore. This bird has that excess gene from the parents and those feathers will remain. The bird is approx 12 yrs old

Edited by Dave007

• 8 months later...

There's nothing special about the colors that you describe. Usually, it's a lack of certain color genes that can cause spotting. Red factor has to do with a excess amount of the red color. Many birds have that spotting on the body and it usually goes away after the first molt. There is no such thing as a *white factor*. Any bird that has a certain large area of white feathers is missing certain color genes that involves either red feathering or lack of gray feathering genes.

If your bird was entered into a contest concerning perfect feathering, your bird wouldn't be allowed to compete. So, your bird isn't rare. As far as a spotted beak( white spots), it's best to keep an eye out if more spots appear because that might mean that a vet visit is possibly needed. More than likely, if those two birds were in the same clutch, the chicks inherited those color variations from the parents.

PS---right now it would be extremely hard to classify any markings on a 2 week old bird. They should still be with the parents.

Edited by Dave007