NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

SSSSTAY!!!

Marlene

Don't all fall over and tell me I'm nuts. How do I get Gus to stay put. My TAG was pretty wild (as in not hand reared - not taken from the wild) but as time went by he learned that his cage door would always be open. He never ventured far from his cage (probably security) but he would spend his entire day on top of his cage and only go inside to eat and sleep. I now have a young CAG who's an absolute sweety but unless I am in the room I cannot let him out. He will not stay on his climbing tree or his cage. I suspect he is looking for me when he does this. I feel a bit of a heel leaving him in the cage when I am in my workshop but I cant risk him eating my home or getting hurt. He does have food and water on his tree. Am I expecting a bit much?

Some will stay put and some will not, for the ones who won't you have to just keep putting them back until they understand they have to stay where you put them. Your Tag was more independent and was content to stay on his cage but your Cag is younger and wants to be close to you so therefore he comes off in search of you. I suspect he will become more independent as he ages and will stay put more so than he is now, but for now just keep putting him back, even if it a thousand times over.:P

UGH - I feel Ya Marlene. Dayo is 9 months old and thinks he must follow one of us wherever we go!!

We take him back, he sits for a couple of minutes and flap, flap, flap he's back! :-)

Take him back, he sits for a few and flap, flap, flap he's back again saying "Wuz Up?".

So, the circle continues. I think we walk 4` miles a day putting him back, but the good side is were getting plenty of exercise. B)

Just keep on keepin on as Judy said......(((SIGH))) :-)

I agree with you danmcq my greys do the same thing all the time. It can be quite frustrating. I tell them I will put them in the cage if they fly off it again and then lo and behold they don't "fly" off they climb down to the floor and waddle over to me instead. If it gets to be too much I do end up putting them in the cage for a brief 'time out' and tell them why I am putting them in the cage then after a few moments sometimes 15 minutes I will take them out again and tell them again to stay on the pearch. We have to keep on keepin on as judy said. LOL

I obviously have no will power... I just let Liath hang on. She sits on me most of the time and constantly readjusts her footing as I move around cleaning or whatever I am doing.

Once I forgot she was there and bent down to pick something off the floor... and she said "whooah... CAREFUL!"

Any way you can buy or make a playstand he can't get off of? I'm assuming he's not flighted, otherwise it wouldn't matter and he could get off anything! My Grey can't get off the Parrot Tower. I have seen some great hanging playgyms too that birds can't climb down.

Elmo is proof that it can be done. If I put him somewhere he will stay there 97% of the time. Like what everyone else has said, every time he jumps down, put him right back up...every time! He will sometimes come looking for me when I leave the room for a minute, or if he is on the shower rod he will fly over to me if he sees me on the bed, but that's normally after he's been up there for 20 minutes or so and finally got bored talking to himself. :laugh: