NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question on pet shop birds?

Ronda477

My question is hubby wants to get a bird. We want to know besides the price differences between the pet shops and a breeder what is the bad thing of getting a young bird from a pet shop? They seem to be well socialized and see people a bunch so I thought this would help them. We don't have breeders around here for anything, I have checked all kinds! He is interested in a cockatoo, which we have researched and understand they need a ton of attention. But can anyone tell me any other good birds as well that are good family birds? And mainly what is soo bad about the pet shop birds from like Pet Supply Plus? Thanks!!!!

A pet shop that only deals with birds is a lot different then a general pet shop. The general pet shops do not give the attention and love to the birds like a bird pet shop. I bought my bird at a bird pet shop and bonded with him for 3 - 4 months (everyday) before I actually brought him home. We bought our female and brought her home the same day but she had been socializing with everyone while she was at the store. I know some like breeders better then shops especially when it comes to price but you can get a bad breeder just like a bad bird pet shop. As to good birds...there are tons. If you go to a bird store you can see what bird picks you. I almost had a blue-throat macaw if I had the money to drop because this cutie was trying its darnest to win me over (he successed too). Sweatest thing and he would already be here if I had the money. I was sadden that I couldn't get him. I'm gonna try and save up for just in case he doesn't find a home before I can save up for him. We will see what happens.

When buying from any pet shop, the health check is that much more important as well as the quarentine period before being introduced to your flock. Like Woody said, bird shops are different than other pet shops, but, think of it this way, they probably move a lot more birds from different places in and out of there where a breeder would normally only deal with their own birds. I would think that as long as the bird is well sociallized and you get the health check from a good vet, and you quarentine it for a period of time, buying from a shop should be fine.

I wouldn't buy a bird from a pet store for a lot of reasons, the first being uneducated staff. A Petsmart by me used to carry large birds, and the employees were clueless about caring for them (they thought it was funny to feed them things like Mountain Dew). Here is a site that lists all the things to look out for if you shop for a bird at a pet store: http://avianprotectors.homestead.com/badpetstores.html

Something very important to find out is if the bird is "abundant weaned" (read all about it at http://www.itsagreysworld.com/articles/abundant.htm). You're more likely to end up with a happy well adjusted bird.

As for good family birds, the Pionus, Meyer's, and Senegal are good choices (from all that I've read). If I ever get a second bird, it will probably be one of these species. However, I prefer to adopt, and these 3 species don't commonly come in at my local rescue (they mostly get cockatoos, macaws, and amazons).

The Avian Welfare Resource Center (http://www.avianwelfare.org/issues/marketing.htm) takes the following position on birds at large pet chains:

Over the past decade, "exotic pets" like parrots have become the rage even though they are challenging to keep in captivity. Large-scale "parrot mill" breeding operations, which supply popular warehouse pet store chains, are now producing thousands of potentially very long-lived parrot chicks each year to keep up with the demand for babies. It is next to impossible to properly socialize baby parrots under such "assembly line," high-production breeding conditions. To make matters worse, when these birds are sold through warehouse pet stores, buyers rarely receive quality products or solid advice from an inexperienced staff. In addition, the display of gentle, adorable, juvenile birds in these stores leads to many being purchased on impulse — and a parrot purchased on impulse without serious preparation and education rarely finds a lifelong home.

Unfortunately, the public is still largely uneducated about the real challenges of keeping parrots in captivity. Many adolescent and adult parrots lose their homes when their "true colors" as wild animals start to shine. Thousands of mass-marketed birds are now displaced each year because neither these birds nor their buyers are properly prepared for success. The least fortunate birds are passed from home to home before dying from neglect or abuse, or they are euthanized. The lucky ones end up in adoption shelters or sanctuaries, which are now filling up fast!

Never buy a mass-marketed bird from a pet store! These companies will not stop mass-producing and selling birds until it is no longer profitable to do so. Encourage PETCO, PETsMART, and other pet stores to provide the same adoption services for parrots that they do for dogs and cats instead of selling birds in their stores. Your consumer dollars are a powerful vote against parrot homelessness!

Karma to your Spookyhurst for all this valuable information you have provided to the poster.

I agree with the article except in one area. Breeders are just as guilty of mass breeding for a profit, not providing quality birds, and inexperience in giving solid advice or have impulse buyers as petstores are this is why it seems to be a personal choice where to go and most definately should have a vet check soon after you leave with your new bird. I got my bird at a repetable bird store (not a regular pet store) with a well trained staff and they expect and strongly encourage individuals to spend a lot of time with their birds during the weaning process while providing solid advice and instructions on caring for your new addition. Sadly, the article is so correct in its statement that uneducated buyers of these beautiful birds bring them back into the stores for consignment or to rescue shelters because they 'cannot' handle the birds behavior or demands. I'm saddened all the time by this fact. Do we hand our kids back when we find out their 'true colors'? Birds should be handled with the same care and forethought as having children. It is a lifelong commitment and these birds will need health care, attention, training, guidance, food, toys, a safe environment, babysitters (when you are away) and godparents just like your children and even to be willed in your will when you pass. Could I be ill rational in my thinking?

Once again spookyhurst karma to you for all this wonderful information.

Being a pet store worker, I would like to put my 2 cents in. Now, I do know that there are some nasty stores out there that don't know what they are doing when it comes to the care of parrots/birds but there are also stores like mine that have an entire staff of bird owners and know what they are doing. Don’t be afraid to ask questions about the bird’s history and about the healthcare they get while in the store. I actually hand out cards to the vet that my store uses and have taken my grey to him also, and can tell customers about him and how he was with my bird. When it comes to breeder vs. pet store, go with your gut. The only difference between the greys at my store and the grey I got from my breeder is the price, and I got to see the parents and ask questions about them as well. If I were going to buy another grey tomorrow I would actually buy one from my store. All our babies are social, healthy, and beautiful…plus there is one that I really have fallen in love with. Now, as for your pet store, take a few trips and feel the place out. If something seems off, investigate it and see what exactly is going on. Like, dirty water…at my store we change water about once an hour, but if the store is slam-packed busy we can’t always get to it as soon as we normally do. So, if you see dirty water in your store see how much activity is going on, how many people are on staff, and if everyone is busy. If there is employees standing around with their thumb up their butt and there is only one other customer it might be an indication as to how the birds are cared for.

I know you are having a hard time with your little TAG because of her shipping trauma, so I think because you don’t have the option of picking out a bird at a breeder a pet store isn’t such a bad idea.

As BMustee states, I agree, it depends on the pet store and the staff it has looking after the birds.

Their are 2 in our city I would not hesitate to purchase a Parrot or any other bird from. This is due to my personally conversing with the store owners/managers and their aviary staff that weans and cares for all the birds.

Their are 2 other pet stores that I would not recommend anyone to purchase a bird from due to the unknowledgeable staff and poor care the birds receive.

It is best to check out the stores and staff for yourself and see how they treat the birds and how knowledgeable they are. It is also good to know if they purchase their birds for example from local breeders. The reason I say this, is I know 3 breeders in my area that sell their birds to the 2 local pet stores that know how to treat and handle birds. The breeders only do this if they have any birds left over from the small quantity of clutches they produce each year of various species they breed.

So use all the wisdom and knowledge you have picked up Ronda and go interview the pet store owners and staff!! :-)

Thank you too all of you! The reason we are looking at this pet store is because like I said we do not have any breeders in our area at all! We have had our eye on this pet shop for the past five years now, and it still has the same two people working with the birds! The one woman that is there, when we went in to handle the 4 month old cockatoo she was right there with us and told us watch this, he loves this and watch what he does when you do this, so I really think she knows what she is doing with them. She's not afraid of them and babies them a bunch from what we can tell. The guy that is there just works the other hours that she does not, and he is nice and doesn't let the birds have the upper hand I just think he isn't as personal with people as she is, not to mention the fact that we are just people that go in there and want to hold their birds and haven't bought any lol. But they seem very nice, clean cages all the time, clean water and food like you all mentioned and they have the same two working with the birds. Just being I do not want to get from a breeder again unless I can go there and see my bird, we had a very very bad experience with our TAG and not that it was all her fault but stuff happens and unfortunately it's the bird and the new owner that have to pay for it. And I didn't get to "pick her out" and the breeder when she sent pictures looked like she was sooo sweet with my bird, and I'm sure she was, but I believe now that my TAG basically bonded to just her, and wasn't handled too much by anyone else, her main association was with all the other birds she had and than of course the breeder herself. Which I now do not think was such a good idea. I did than cause she had the freedom, and I believe now that is what we are dealing with is having to retrain her to everyone in the house and that she can't go anywhere she likes in the house even though she is clipped lol. So I do understand there are bad bird shops, was just wondering what the big no no's were cause like I said I don't think breeders are all they are cracked up to be either. Unless like most of you can go and actually look at your bird, but like I said we just don't have that option here. But thank you for all re-assuring what I basically new I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing, cause like I said since we moved here we have been going to this place and adoring all the birds they have. They never seem to stay real long and I know they get some of their birds from a breeder up north in Ohio where we used to be from, but as far as the trip again I do not want to go through that again, if it is already at the store and I can see if we bond to it, and the bird us than that is better to me to know than taking a trip once to a breeder and than going home with it, at lease I can visit this pet shop a few times before we make our decision. Thanks to all again!!!

That store sounds wonderful! The way you discribe the woman sounds just like what me and the other sales girls tell people, and for her to tell you what it likes and dislikes, and predict the behavior then it shows she really cares for those birds. If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. I think that you would be MUCH better off getting your next feathered baby from them instead of a breeder.

My store where I got Alcazar deals w/ all types of animals they been in buisness for decades. Plus their staff is knowledgeable.Get info on that store. Now as for like a store like Petsmart I noticed the attention given to compare the Buzz N Bees where I got Alcazar. I would suggest visit the store see what goes on. Ask questions to how long they been in buisnees and how long they been dealing w/ birds.

Rhonda477: Lots of good advice on stores vs. breeders. Lots to consider. I'm against general pet store purchases of birds, but another way to see it is that you would probably be helping the bird from the store to a better life. Pet stores aren't as concerned about who the bird is sold to as much as the fact that it's a sale. We also don't want to contribute to stores who don't properly care for their birds, but when bird lovers such as ourselves walk into one we just want to help and save them all.

As far as a cockatoo goes, I do have some input. We got a newly weened med. sulfur crested too last January. He is now 1 1/2 yr. old. I had a grey (13 yrs. old) first but my wife needed to have her special buddy. I tried to tell her how loud it would get with a too in the house but she didn't realize it until we had the full experience in our home. These birds tend to "display " at least twice a day, to show themselves off and alert the flock to their presence. This is one of the unpleasant things that comes with any too. When I say loud , I mean LOUD! definitely not apartment material. Your neighbors will soon let you know that.

A too is more cuddly than most breeds and seem to not just favor one person as much as a grey will. This makes them good family bird. Our grey and too have always had their cages next to each other and after one year they are developing a good friendship that when fully in place will be great for them both.

I love our too and wouldn't want it any other way. The noise usually is the big drawback for too owners and cause lots of re homing. "Avi" short for "Avalanche" is going through the terrible toddler stage but will come through well and loving his flock.

Good luck and keep us posted

Bruce & Mazy & Avi

To hear how loud Too's are, visit this site: http://www.mytoos.com/

I went to a bird fair once, and there was an umbrella hopping up and down and screaming as loud as he could. I had to leave the building after awhile, because it was truly an ear splitting sound :ohmy:. Beautiful birds, but I'm not sure I'd have what it takes to be a good mom to one. However, someday I would like to foster one just to experience a Too's personailty. I'm still working on my parents though. There are always birds at the local rescue that need foster parents, but my parents aren't sure they want another parrot in the house, even if it is short term :(. We lucked out in adopting a bird that didn't have any problems, and I guess they don't want her picking up any. Personally, I think Nikko would make a great mentor to some lucky birdie :).<br><br>Post edited by: spookyhurst, at: 2008/01/31 23:45

Thank you Bruce, Mazy & Spookyhurst.

Bruce I am glad you wrote, we have the same situation here with hubby wanting his cuddle bird. I don't know if this will be the bird or not yet for we are doing allot of deciding and weighing our options.

Spooky we have seen that site where the too's are loud. And yes they can be very loud! Thank you for that link though. There are two too's we could foster right now, but actually the woman hasn't gotten back to me yet on them. We feel that we can offer the time and affection to one, just not 100% sure yet on if that is the breed we want to go with. It is def at the top of the list. I did look into the Electus like Tracy had told me to do, and they seem like neet little birds as well. AS for neighbors, we don't have any lol. We live at the top of our own little mountain! The closest neighbor around is a mile in all directions. So noise would only bother us lol. But thank you all for helping, please keep the advice coming, I just don't want to run out like I did with SweetHeart and not even see her and just have her shipped to us, and she was older than most babies were too, so I don't get the chance to baby her. But we are working things out lol. But thanks again guys and keep them coming if you would, I love hearing the good and bad.

Rhonda: Do you already have a grey or another bird at home?

Also 2 toos won't crave the need to display as much as one as they will have each other to keep company. Displaying is definitely an attention getting device. They spread their wings, put up their top feathers and scream like there's no tomorrow.

Our too , being my wife's bird seems to get along great with me, even knowing the grey is my main companion. The too likes the kids also, where the grey doesn't consider them high in the flock and basically won't give them the time of day.

Bruce

Yes Bruce we have a TAG and she is almost 9 months old, and we have a Quaker parrot that is 12 years old. I have heard that 2 of them is better, but for one don't think we could afford that right now, and two if I were to get two parrots I would let hubby get his too, and I would want a congo. But our TAG SweetHeart is going to everyone here and there, we are having a bunch of little set backs. But we are def considering a too. We do have two children ages 12 & 9, that love birds as well, but can't hold either of the ones we have yet. My TAG is still getting used to everyone. And our Quaker was abused and we are lucky for her to even take to my husband, and he is the only one who can fool with her. So we kind of want a family bird, where it's cuddly and will go to a bit of everyone. I can't seem to find a bird other than the too, to do this. And we were wondering about getting the 2 too's, not that we would, but wouldn't they bond to each other and than not want anything to do with the owner?

Ronda - we have a male eclectus. We call him our Teddy Bird. He will go to anyone. Both of my kids can handle him easily (9 and 6 y/o). He has never even attempted to bite anyone. We can touch him anywhere. He is the only one of our parrots with "shoulder priviledges". He's a complete doll. I would definitely consider them if you're not sure about another 'too.

Lisa

Rhonda: the toos, if you have a pair still seem to like the contact, any contact with their human counterparts. They will be fond of each other but toos like lots of best friends as far as I've seen. Your big problem will be that when you hold one the other will want to be held at the same time. But what a great problem, two birds wanting and willing to get your affection even if they have to share.

Bruce

MazyAK wrote:

Rhonda477: Lots of good advice on stores vs. breeders. Lots to consider. I'm against general pet store purchases of birds, but another way to see it is that you would probably be helping the bird from the store to a better life. Pet stores aren't as concerned about who the bird is sold to as much as the fact that it's a sale. We also don't want to contribute to stores who don't properly care for their birds, but when bird lovers such as ourselves walk into one we just want to help and save them all.

This is a sore subject for me because like I have said before I work at a pet store. If the store looks bad then yes, I would "boycott" buying anything from them, animal or supply, but the birds at my store are well cared for and are all from local breeders so there is no support of "bird mills". Also, I care about where the birds go and have refused sales and so have the other girls there and we have the owners backing. It's too bad that there are stores that don't care for their animals the way that mine does, but that does not mean every store should be looked down on.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2008/02/01 03:53

MazyAK wrote:

I'm against general pet store purchases of birds, but another way to see it is that you would probably be helping the bird from the store to a better life,

Even though you could be saving a bird that's in a bad pet shop, you should resist the urge. Patronizing the store will only allow it to stay open longer and treat more animals poorly. Quoting again from the Avian Protector's website:

Some pet stores even keep birds in these miserable conditions to take advantage of the "Pity Buy." They rely on those of us who want to "rescue" those poor birds. It pulls on your heartstrings to see these birds kept in miserable conditions. However, by purchasing birds from bad pet shops, we are helping them to purchase another bird to put in its place. We are helping that store stay in business.

Since I posted a list of how to spot a bad bird store, here's a list on how to spot a good one:

http://avianprotectors.homestead.com/Guidelines.html

LisaM wrote:

Ronda - we have a male eclectus. We call him our Teddy Bird. He will go to anyone. Both of my kids can handle him easily (9 and 6 y/o). He has never even attempted to bite anyone. We can touch him anywhere. He is the only one of our parrots with "shoulder priviledges". He's a complete doll. I would definitely consider them if you're not sure about another 'too.

Lisa

Do you have a Solomon Island or Vosmaeri Eclectus?