NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

parrot digging????

bex

My handsome feathered friend has been didding for sometime now, today he did it for ages.He likes being in a corner or dark bit and he digs like a dog with his claws. Its rather strange! anybody know why?x

Hi all - well this *may* answer my question... My 14 week old grey will stand over his water bowl, which is in the front corner of the cage, and swing his left leg out in the air, as though digging something imaginary. He'll do this for 15 minutes at a time. At first I thought it was because his leg band was bothering him, but then sometimes he'll switch legs and start the leg swinging all over again.

Smokey digs when he's on the floor. He'll get into the corner between the wall and the bathroom cabinet, and scratch scratch scratch with his toes. I too say "he's digging to China!" Maybe it's a nesting instinct; or maybe he thinks he's at a clay pit or something. Don't they eat clay for nutrients...? In the wild this behavior must mean something, or yield some result; I think our birdies are doing what they were "programmed" to do :-)

Kibibi does it too. She's 9yo so I don't think she's going to grow out of it :) She usually does it when she's hiding under the covers. I've heard two theories about it.

1) Like Patsyrat mentioned, they do feed on the ground so one theory is that it is a foraging behavior.

2) A second theory that I've also heard is that it's a nesting behavior. The scratching helps them keep their nests (hollow tree trunks) clear of debris.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
My handsome feathered friend has been didding for sometime now, today he did it for ages.He likes being in a corner or dark bit and he digs like a dog with his claws. Its rather strange! anybody know why?x

I have a huge macaw and he loves to scratch like a hen and dig until he's tuckered out and panting. It's fun for him. He likes to dig fabrics, especially if they have a textured weave. He also likes to chew fabrics, especially 100% cotton terrycloth towels (I don't have a single towel or washcloth without a hole, LOL. I have bought him "his" towels, which are identical in size, shape, color and even brand but he looks at me as if to say, "Mom! Really?", doesn't even touch them and proceeds to chew Mom's things.)

Sophie digs. She is 14. When we are hanging out in family room... she will start digging with one foot on the carpet. Its normal to us and have always questioned it, but don't have the answer. We know its normal for her, so we would be worried if she wasn't doing her digging thing. Foraging? Maybe. Its important to her, so its a behavior that is important to us. Nancy

Dorian digs away into the cubby holes on my desk, when he's allowed on it. I try to limit his desk time because occasionally he gets, hmm, let's say overexcited, and starts making panting noises along with the digging. I've never seen him do it in his cage.

Brutus digs (he's six) on my bed. He will land and start digging. He sometimes does it on the sofa. I would love to see wild Greys do this and then it might make some sense if it had some context.

At Project Perry, in the Grey Aviary, they have birds that have dug little cavities in the dirt that they nest in. They are pairs, but according to Matt Smith, do not lay eggs. But the one little female had a pretty nice little tunnel going and was a bit defensive over it with the other birds. I cannot imaging them ground nesting in the open wild - as that would be really high risk for predators to trap them. I think these birds just feel safe where they are.