NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Price

Abdullah

sorry if this thread has already been made but i was curious

according to my research on breeders in the USA..the standard price for greys is about 700 to 900 dollers

in Canada its about 1200 for a cag 1000 for a Tag...

was just wondering what was your experience?

i think it might be something as simple as demand.

We paid $700 for Makena directly from a breeder.

As it turns out the breeder was shady and lied to us. He sold us a very young/unweaned grey. Makena also came to us with lice and worms which cost us hundreds in vet bills. When we picked him up he was living in a small box and covered with poo and baby formula.

I think what is more important than the price is how the bird is treated. Make sure he/she is FULLY WEANED and ask about a guarantee. Many breeders will give a certain amount of time for you to get the grey vet checked. Do it right away... There are many threads that discuss everything you should ask your vet at a wellness check.

We feel like we rescued Makena. We had a very stressful first couple of months with him. We would have paid A LOT more for the breeder to have treated him better. We feel like we rescued him.

I guess what I am trying to say is... Don't base your search on price. Educate yourself and build a good rapport with your breeder.

Sorry for the novel here!! I know you just wanted a price...LOL!! :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

That may well ba factor Abdullah,Makena has given great advice & has shown in her story that all breeders are not to be trusted.Personally i would say to anyone looking for a breeder,make sure they let you visit your baby,allow you to see the parents,keep you updated by phone or e-mail on your babys progress.These breeders generally care about the welfare of their babies.You may pay a little more but you will know that your baby has had the best start in life.Here in the UK baby greys vary from £550 uk pounds up to £700. I know in different countries breeders do sell unweaned baby greys cheaper so they don't have the expensive of looking after them.

As Makena rightly said,please do not buy an un weaned baby unless you are completely knowledgeable on hand rearing.

id never buy an unweaned bird..its so much work and they do bond with u even if u didnt handfeed them...also ive handfeed indian ringnecks before...its a rewarding experience BUT painful i definitly did not know what i was getting into.

ive already found a breeder and she invited me to her aviary :) im going over in the long weekend ( canadian holiday) thats not to far from now

please dont get me wrong i was just arguing on prices and why was thyre a diffrence from one place to another honestly i think greys should be around 1000 dollers and up since thy are a very complicated species ;)

Hi Abdullah,

I paid 950 for Dayo (CAG) and the Breeder was wonderful, used the bountiful weaning method and welcomed us to come and interact with the clutch from 6 weeks and on. We went every weekend and spent at least 2 hours playing with and enjoying all those baby CAG's, six in all from two separate clutches. While at the same time learning volumes of information about the Greys from the Breeder. Finally at about 10 weeks, two started running to us every time we went.

We wound up bringing both home the first day at 16 weeks old, but one started losing weight drastically (50 grams overnight) and so we returned it the next day.

I am actually happy it turned out that way. I can not imagine trying to give two babies all the attention and training they require at such an early age. :-)

If you have the opportunity to let the Grey pick you, it is the best possible match you can get. Some may just not like the way you look...kind of like people that just rub you wrong and you don't know why ;-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/01/11 16:31

thanks danmcq! were def planning to go there as of now she doesnt really have babies..well she does thyre weaned but thyre all spoken for...but she still invited me to take a look at her aviray..its 10 hours away from vancouver but my partner is up for the drive! been wanting to go for a roadtripfor a while now :D will keep you posted im probebly gonna take pics..ill have to wait for a few weeks though before i go!!

im still puzzeled by prices it seems its much more expensive in the uk and canada..but why not the us...they cost a fortune back where i come from around 2000..its intreasting to see the prices differ from one place to the other...it might be tighter regulations now adays?

I paid $800 for my CAG when he was 6 weeks old from a great private breeder. I could have let Jake (the breeder) finish feeding and weaning him but I really wanted to do it myself. I tell everyone though that buying an unweaned baby bird is not for the beginner bird owner and should only be done by someone that knows exactly what they are doing...or else you just bought a dead bird. The only reason Jake sold me Elmo as young as he was is because I have fed baby birds before and fed Elmo in front of him a number of times so he was sure of that and I live only a few miles away so it's only a 5 minute drive to his house if something was to have gone wrong. If I was to have him wean Elmo he would have been $950.

At my work we sell CAGs for $1100 and the TAGs at $900...Petland sells their CAGs for $1200. Most of the cost depends on how many breeders are in the area and what the supply and demand is. A breeder can't sell a grey to a pet store for $900 if there are 5 other breeders that will sell for $700.

I know that in some areas of the US greys can go for around $2000 so there really isn't a national base price...it's more of a reginal thing.

900-1200 seems pretty typical. I'd be leary of people asking less, just because they might not know what they are doing...and people asking more are probably just trying to milk out more money.

I'm getting mine for a very reputable breeder for 900.

countdown: 14 days

I paid 775 for my TAG and I think CAGs from the same breeder (fully abundance weaned) go for $900. I must say, the breeder I bought her from was wonderful. They even offer a 30 day return policy, which from what I have seen is unheard of for pets. I will be buying any and all future birds from them. (www.TLCbirdsoftampa.com)

Hi there Abdullah,

Bella was $1200. The people where I got her are not actually the breeders, they are the people who hand feed and wean the babies. They've been working with the same breeder for many years - they get the babies when its time to begin hand feeding them, they hand feed them and do a great job of socializing them. I loved their entire environment - the two ladies are wonderful women who love parrots and it sure shows!

They keep the larger birds in one sun room and the middle sized and small birds in another. The cages are open and the birds visit around with each other and really socialize. I think that enviornment made it very easy for Bella, my CAG to get along so well with my conure when she first came home.

The ladies teach the babies some basic commands - step up, and no bite, and they snuggle so much with the babies. That made it wonderful for me when I got Bella - she is a huge snuggle bug and is very confident as all she's ever known is love.

The two ladies stay in contact and coach you as needed after you pick up the baby, and also make supplies available for purchase - in addition they board if you need to board your friend in a familiar environment.

So, while $1200 may have been a bit more then what some have paid, I think it was WELL worth it. Bella came home healthy and balanced - and I'm a new CAG mom - I needed a good start as I dont have anough knowledge yet to be skillful in dealing with a damaged animal!

Cheers!

Terri

Oh Judy I couldn't agree more! Jiggy came from a pet shop and he had a lot of trust issues - now granted, he is a conure and not a grey, so I don't know if his inclination to attack first and ask questions later was normal for a conure. In the mean time I've been able to socialize him and he's a love bug as it relates to myself and my daughter. But he's never been as calm and composed as Bella. Bella has never known anything but love, and I think that's one factor that made her the confident little imp that she is LOL! I mean - she rubbed noses with with my male greyhound today! I think that's amazing, particularly because she was initially afraid of the greyhounds when I first got her. But now they are part of her flock.

Cheers!

Terri

Nychsa wrote:

he is a conure and not a grey, so I don't know if his inclination to attack first and ask questions later was normal for a conure.

But now they are part of her flock.

That kind of sounds like my sun conure, she can be feisty and act the same way.:evil:

They are part of the flock and Bella knows that now. Glad to hear they are getting along so well.:P

wow Nychsa thanks for sharing ..the baby ill be getting ''it might take a long time'' is the same price u paid for 1200 cad...but im def gonna ask her about socializing and if they teach them atleast basic commands ...i think they should ''if theyre good breeders'' thats what ill ask her next time ...ill def post here and tell you what she says

Hi there Abdullah, I think it will be well worth asking re: if they socialize the babies as well. I'm not sure if that's the norm as Bella is my first Grey. So, you may want to check with the others here that have more experience then I do. But it sure helped me out as you can imagine. Geezum - I'm under attack here LOL! Bella and Jiggy are all over me pulling on my clothes, glasses, and hair - it's their breakfast time, so I think I better get them fed before they think of something new to do to me!!

Greys are less expensive in the U.S. than in Mexico (all parrots except illegally wild caught ones are more expensive here). Greys cost $1,600 to $2,500 U.S. dollars here. When I got Kali from one of the best breeders in Mexico more than 5 years ago, he was $1,400. Prices have gone up since.

Reta

• 5 weeks later...

Hi.

I am looking at buying a CAG and I have talked to a breeder last weekend but I am not sure if it is the right place. I live in the lower mainland area of BC, Canada and this breeder is ask $1,600 which sounds awefully high compared to what has been said in this topic. I am also concerned as he said this was his first time hand raising CAGs (has done other birds in the past, i.e. cockateils) and he says he is raising 12 of them at this time (sounds like an huge clutch to me as it seems to me normally they are raising in groups of four or less).

Could anyone please tell me what you think about this deal and if there is anyone from this area (BC Canada) on this site, could you perhaps let me know of a good place to adopt a CAG?

hey imme im from victoria bc..theres a breeder i know who was gonna sell one to this owner who back out ''couldnt come with the money'' shes trying to sell it to me but im not in a hurry its a male just weaning for 1200 do u want me to refer her to u?

We paid $800 for our TAG and the breeder also sells CAG's for $1,000. Weaning for this breeder was a definite no doubt, she let sweetheart go a little too long I think, but guess better safe than sorry. SweetHeart was 5 and half months before she was weaned. I do think that is part of our problem with her trust now with us though, being she basically had those 6 months to bond to her breeder. But we are working through it lol. The cost to ship her was another $125.