NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE FOR CAGE

HoboHiltons

Hi Yall..

I am wondering where is the best place to have my CAG's cage?!?

I know to have it in a family room...

my question is should it be in front of a big window? I have heard that isn't the best place but other than drafts I don't know why else you wouldn't put in front of window.

I also have other birds... should they be very close together?

I have Cowboy in the big main window of our family room.. and right next to him is my Quaker and across the room are our budgies.

I have a stand next to my computer for Cowboy when I am online... he can't stand to be away from us.B)

HoboHiltons wrote:

I have a stand next to my computer for Cowboy when I am online... he can't stand to be away from us.B)

That is soooo sweet :)

I don't own a grey but if I would I would most certainly place it in front of the window. I think the view would add to his quality of environment :)

I have Alcazar next to my window so he can watch the cars. My windows are not that drafty at night he gets covered up so even the slighest draft at night cant get him. Alcazar is the same way he cant be away from us either. I also have him beside the computer too. My desk is L shape he's placed in the L part.

As long as you know that their is no drafts from the window then near a window is fine,all 4 of my greys love to watch the world go by ;) In the family room is great as they like to be able to see the comings & goings of life :) & of course they regard their human company as part of the flock.

I can not put my grey next to a window. She start begging like she did when she was still being hand fed. I think the things outside the window scare her. I have a wild bird feeder out there and sometimes a hawk comes by and lots of squirrels and even some rats.

You can try it but it may or may not work.

I agree with Tari, having the cage too close to a window if lots of birds are flying around outside can frighten them and if the sun would be coming thru the window too much it could overheat them.

Of course one side of the cage needs to be against a wall, it makes them feel more secure that way but their cage does need to be in the room with all the activity so they feel part of the flock.

If you have other birds do not place the cages so close that they could reach over and get to one another like get at their toes.

I think it depends on your climate (not too drafty by the window), and your bird (bold and confident, or scared when he sees things moving outside). Sometimes keeping one corner of the cage covered so that he has a place to retreat can help them feel more secure when in an open area, including next to a large window. Try it and watch your bird. His body language will tell you if he's comfortable there.

Reta

When I went out to get the paper out of the box I saw a huge hawk in a tree in our yard, that is probably what my conure saw and became frightened, I have huge windows in my family room nearly up to the ceiling. The cages are in that room but on the opposite wall from the windows and those windows are definitely not drafty.

as has been mentioned, i would think hard about placing the cage directly in front of a window. overheating and the possibility of getting frightened are two factors.

both of our bird cages are in opposite corners of the same room. this provides them a sense of security (they aren't exposed on all sides). our quaker, louie, can look out the dining room window if he is toward the front of his cage, and goofy the CAG can look out the living room window from the left side of his.

i also read somewhere to be careful of putting your birds in front of windows because someone could get it in their head to break in and steal your bird. if you don't put him or her in direct view of the outside world, there is less chance someone will know you have an exotic pet, one they could get top dollar for if they were to resell. just my 2 cents.

kris

Thank you all for such wonderful advice and comments/suggestions :)

Cowboy is pretty bold at the window... and feels safe and secure.

We have two outside cats.. and one of them jumps up on the window and lays there. Sometimes plays at the glass with Cowboy. (of course I would not ever trust him to come in and play.. lol).. the cat meows sometimes and of course Cowboy 'meowsssssss' right back!!! :lol: