NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

where do you take your parrot?

LoopinaLoop

are clipped, and all 3 when the weather is good are allowed out for playtime in the garden.. Sooty (Cag) and Rocky (Cag) like to sit on thier cage or a playgym.. Jaffa (Macaw) likes to follow us and watch whatever we are doing in the garden.... And of course if possible, join in.. He has a huge playful streak in him LOL.

If the weather is OK, Rocky loves to sit on my shoulder while I wander around and do my aviaries, and he sort of whispers odd sounds in my ear.. Only time he does that!!

Sadly none of them like car travel, so if we do need to take them in a car, it`s in a pet carrier.. In fact Jaffa completely freaks bless him.

Got lots of pix of the big birds in the garden, I`ll get them all uploaded and post them sometime.

Zoe`s trips out have been severely reduced since the announcement of Newcastles Disease (END).

However, her favorite outings usually involve people watching more than bird watching. We have a pet stores where she gets a lot of attention but really I think she enjoys the people aspect more than fraternizing with her own kind. When she returns home, it`s always a litany of chatter about `those peeeeple" and where they`ve gone to. I`m not sure she understands the concept that everyone has their own home yet. She wants to bring anyone she meets home with her, it seems.

I`ll be so glad when these alerts have subsided and we feel less worry about exposing her to the public. She loves nothing more than to socialize. And no, we don`t have a flight suit. She travels in an oversize carry cage which she stays in under lock and key at all times. She`d rather be out, of course, but it`s a compromise that seems to work. I`m pondering the possibility of a flight suit or some other getup but I`m not convinced it`s either good for her yet. I`m wondering how any of you introduce such a thing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Chewie loves to go "Bye-Bye" with me. Yesterday we went to the local taco bell and the bank drive thru atm to get some cash. Loves to travel, and we have a good time whistling to each other while I am driving. I used to take him to Home Depot with me, but lately I have noticed a big sign that says "No pets allowed", so now I go to Lowes instead!

Of course his wings are clipped, and If I feel the situation warrants it, he wears a harness as well....

I freely admit that my wife and I are not the best housekeepers. I`m good for sanitary/clean - but keep lots of clutter around. She is a little better about clutter (not much) but definitely isn`t into clean.

Despite my upcoming rant, I looooove that little quaker male parrot she bought about a year ago and am dying to get me a little female quaker. If/When my job and financial situation get better one day (hope springs eternal) I would love for us to get one or two of those `big` birds.

She has tried to train him to act similar to the bird giving forewarning before dropping a big wet one. No such luck. At most we get about 5 seconds warning as he squats down to drop a load.

In the meantime, all this birdshit around the house and flung food drives me NUTS. There is shit in the windows from when she lets him hang out in the windows. There`s shit on the top of the couch back from when he`s cruising around there. I won`t even go into what it looks like under the limbs she has tied together in a large vase next to his little playground perched on top of a stool. I have put a sheet under it (and encouraged her to do it as well) but it never can seem to find its way back under the tree/playground area after it got sooooooooooo gross that we had to wash it.

Believe it or not, I`m really quite grateful that he decided to chew into a couple of slats in my refinished 50+ year old 2" wooden venetian blinds. I have made it clear how much I like those blinds and that it wasn`t subject to debate that no critter around here was going to vandalize my blinds. So now, he isn`t given free rein to run up and down the blinds while shitting on them and chewing them up.

She gives him `run of the roost` over her plate and bowl of food but never picks up the food he flings all over the place. *I* pick it up but it doesn`t seem to bother her or lead her to pick it up as well. She wants us to replace the carpet and/or refinish the hardwood floors underneath the carpet in some of the rooms. I want to do this too but have told her that I couldn`t bear to see either new carpet get this treatment or see food and birdshit ground into the seams of newly refinished hardwood floors.

I felt something crusty on the back of my pants yesterday. It was a gooey raisin that had dried to my butt after I had sat on it in the couch. He likes to mash the raisins from her cereal briefly and fling them around. Before that, I had thought it was gruesome enough to get one stuck on the bottom of my house shoes and hear it sticking to the kitchen floor as I moved around in the kitchen to make breakfast. That was bad enough that she seems to have taken control of keeping him from flinging them in the kitchen. Now I guess I need to work on her and the couch.

So, to make a long story short, aside from the mess itself, it can get `worse` if you live with somebody else who is primarily responsible for the bird *BUT* they don`t share your sensitivity to the mess.

Short of her changing her sensitivities to all this birdshit, the only answer I can come with is to find cheap carpet that is the color of birdshit and has a very mottled coloration/pattern. Anybody know what the best carpet color to hide birdshit???? Gray???

OK - I`m done now...