NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

ATTN: Security of Personal Identity!! NOT

birdmom

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terri, that's interesting! About once a week, I go to a site to download some ROMs. There is a little shoutbox there, like our chat box, only you don't register, so you choose a handle each time you visit. Without fail, every time I'm there, there is a person impersonating another user and saying nasty things under their name. I don't know if it's one person who has no life, or multiple people that do this, but I've never understood why they get their jollies off of slandering other people :dry:.

Hi there Spooky,

Wow - is it always the same person being impersonated? If so, that person needs to consider taking action. That sounds like it's become an obsession and who knows where that can go. The whole phenomenon around cyber-interactions is still not very well understood. If you think about it, all we really know about each other is what we see here on the screen. The words we read have to travel through our own perceptions which were created by our own experiences and upbringing. You could type a single sentance and 3 different people will react to it in 3 different ways. You can't see body language, you can't see facial expressions, and so all we are really left with is our own interpretations. And that, I believe, is where all the trouble starts with cyber-stalkers. They have this whole "battle" or "issue" going on in their own heads and that can get obsessive.

Take a look at the case of this woman who cyber-stalked a 13 year old girl in her neighborhood because she perceived that this girl had slighted her daughter! The 13 year old girl committed suicide. Can you imagine what mind set this woman was in to have imersonated a boy, and then hit on this 13 year old girl, lead her on, flatter her, make her feel good about herself and then crash and burn her? What kind of mind is that? It's a kind of sickness if you ask me.

We (our company actually) provide public services by providing brief informational notices around cyber security at home - or better said information security - it goes futher then simply protecting information on the computer. If there is interest, I'd be happy to post those notices on this web site too - maybe under Other topics or News so people can have access to it. I'm particularly worried about older people. My mother, who is on the computer all the time, scares the petudies out of me - but I think she's hearing me now. I digress....

Cheers!

Terri

:laugh: i'M NOT BY ANY MEANS CHOOSING SIDES OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT, BUT i ALSO GOOGLED HER NAME oops caps lock, and I only found a couple sites speaking of religious things and such, which I could see where it could bother people as that's a touchyu subject, although I have similar beliefs, so it doesn't bother me LOL

Not sure what's going on, but I say back to the original topic! LOL

loviechick wrote:

:laugh: i'M NOT BY ANY MEANS CHOOSING SIDES OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT, BUT i ALSO GOOGLED HER NAME oops caps lock, and I only found a couple sites speaking of religious things and such, which I could see where it could bother people as that's a touchyu subject, although I have similar beliefs, so it doesn't bother me LOL

Not sure what's going on, but I say back to the original topic! LOL

Oh that's a hoot Lovie! :laugh: Believe it or not, I'm kind of used to my name being Googled - but in real life - potential partners and employees tell me that they Google me. I'd never done it before, so out of kicks and giggles I Googled my name (real name, not screen name) and I was really surprised what all came up! I mean I was happy with it, but surprised none the less!

Re: religious discussions - I've actually had an easier time discussing interfaith issues then many of the other traditions that are diametrically opposed to each others. There are some REALLY VIOLENT discussions on those boards between some of those groups - yikes!!!!

Cheers!

Terri

oh man, is this thread ever goin to end ?? Sheesh...Yawnnnnnnnnn. Its like gettin our family members in awwwww..Im sticking to my thoughts about its up to the individual. I went to my map if u take away the state then update you should be okay.

Number6 wrote:

And a small note, I may or may not post anything sent to me via email or PM.

I unlocked and will lock the thread again just to let everybody know that the placing of PM's or emails is forbidden on this forum*. This is private and if the addressee doesn't know how to handle private matters that will become the problem of the addressee.

I thought a fair notice would be in place.

* = unless with the express permission of the sender.