NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

If you knew then what you know now....

HeatherStrella

I'm just curious if you guys would do things differently with your greys now having experience. There are several things I would have done different. First, I'm not sure I would get her...I feel bad sometimes that she has to stay in her cage for 6 hours a day while I'm at work. I wish she could just have the run of the house...fly around all she wants. But if I were to have gotten her knowing what I know now, I would have put the flight harness on her from day one so that she could fly around outside without worry. I would have started toweling her too...just so I could look at her anywhere I want. I would have started touching every inch of her body when she was a baby so that if she were to get injured, she'd be used to having me touch her...and I'd be able to check her injury. I also would have invited more people over so she'd be better socialized. I'm her human and if anything ever happens to me, she'll be lost...hopefully she'd be able to find someone to fill my shoes.

Anyway, what would you guys do (if anything) differently?

Gosh Heather, you feel guilty about leaving her in her cage for 6 hours straight, how about at least 9 hours a day. I work an 8 hour day and counting the travel time there and back it is 9 hours minimum. I do feel guilty but that is the way it has to be and I don't think I would have done it any different. We all have to work and most of us do not have the luxury of being able to do that from our home.

I count my self lucky that I am able to touch Josey most places without too much fuss, and I have used a towel from time to time so it does not freak her out when she sees it.

I would probably have taken her out in public more but that is hard since I live out in the country and gas is getting more expensive every day and it is not practical to take her much of anywhere. I have taken her to work with me on occasion and she does fine.

My only regret is that I waited so long before getting her, I am not a young person and she will in all likelihood outlive me so another owner will be in her future. I can only hope that he/she will give her the love and attention she is used to getting from me.

Hello,

First of all you should not feel guilty about having her in a cage for only 6 hours. Most birds need 12 hours of rest time at best. So you have her in a cage about half the time they need to rest. So if anything you may not be giving her enough cage time. I let all my birds come and go as they want when we are home. When we are at work we put them away for the rest time. We also have then out all night long so the only time they are in the cage is when we are at work. You should try this so you will not feel guilty about leaving them in the cage when you are at work.

Some of the things I regret are as follows:

1) Not rescuing more birds.

2) Being able to volanteer more at avarys

All other things are good with me and my family. We donate quite a bit of money and time anually to bird rescues. This is a great thing to do to help out fellow bird lovers and lets not forget about the birds that we have touched their hearts one way or another. It is for a great cause. There needs to be more people out there like all of us here that really love the animals for what they are and not to have them as trophys. We all care about them so much and that is what really counts.

She is in her cage for 10-12 hours a night for sleeping. Then, around 6am I wake her up and we hang out while I get ready for work. Then I put her back in her cage and she's there til I get home. We have a dog, a Mini Schnauzer, and I don't trust her with Harrison. I'm afraid she'd hurt her. I can't let Harrison have the run of the place because of the dog. There have been times when Sandy (the dog) has been out getting groomed and we let Harrison roam the house. She's not too sure what to do...she usually goes straight to her room. My husband is home during the day but they don't have a very good relationship. Harrison won't let him pick her up or anything. He goes in a talks to her and stuff like that...so she's not totally alone...it's just that she's in the cage a lot of the time. And, if I have to run errands after work or something I have Harrison on my brain the whole time. There have been many times that I've wished that Harrison and I could just go live on a secluded island...just the two of us...stupid, I know. Oh well...If I ever get another one, I'll know what to do better than what I did with Harrison. Thanks for the replies.

You should not feel bad You have to work. They understand to a degree. As for you dog we have 3 huge dogs 1 Rotty, 1 Great Dane, 1 St Bernard and they are trained not to bother with the birds have you tried to do that maybe? It might work if you allow the dog to try to go near the bird (with your supervision) and see how the bird and the dog react to it. Just a suggestion for you.

I haven't had Klaus long enough to know I'd do anything differently. The biggest surprise of the whole thing, though, is that he wasn't even supposed to be my bird! Technically, we bought him for our son, and my husband is VERY into birds. The one person (me) who wasn't supposed to be involved is now the one in charge of all things "parrot" in our house...

I'm flattered, though, and I'm enjoying him!

""""""My husband is home during the day but they don't have a very good relationship. Harrison won't let him pick her up or anything. He goes in a talks to her and stuff like that""""""'

You should use that to your advantage. If there's someone home, there should be no problem letting him out during the day. A bird doesn't have to like or get along with everyone in the house just so he can get out of the cage. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Think about it, would you feel better knowing he's out of his cage and cooped up or in his cage and cooped up?

Do it two times a week to break up the boredom and routine that might exist every day. Your bird will thank you.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2007/12/15 22:42

Dave, I understand what you mean but Harrison won't allow my husband to pick her up or take her back to her cage. We have the dog in the house so he wouldn't be able to just open the cage and let her come out on her own....I'm afraid of what the dog might do. Once out of the cage, I wouldn't know what to tell my husband to go about putting her back. Maybe use her favorite foods...??? That might not be a bad idea...

Hubby goes in with fav treat...shows harrison the treat on the floor by cage. Harrison comes down out of her cage and eats it. They can maybe play a little and then when it's time to go back to the cage, get her food dish down and put another treat in it and make sure she sees it there. She should be able to make it to her dish for that yummy food in no time,...and hubby didn't have to handle her at all...

How does that sound? Maybe I'll do a few test runs before I "send 'em to the wolves"...lol

So far, the only thing I wish I could change, is that I had gotten a Grey many years sooner. :-)

I understand what you are saying though Heather. You love him so much, that you wish he could just live in freedom as you do. :-)

But, I know from all your previous posts that he is one of the luckiest Greys around and receives plenty of love and attention.

It would be great if your husband could develop that relationship with Harrison to a closer level and then they could both enjoy each others attention while your away and present.

I can honestly say so far I wouldn't change anything. Both my Greys were rescues and I know they're in the best permanent home they could be in. I didn't get the luxury of having them as a baby and getting to get them used to being touched and toweled, and such like that, so starting with them "mid" stream rather than scratch I had to adjust to them more than they had to adjust to me.

I just wish I didn't have to work LOL

The main thing I would change is that I would have gone on a bird course before I got the bird, so I would have known how to look after him from day 1.

I would have given him more time to settle in before we started to trian him and I would not have used the training techniques that we found in some of the books. i.e. gently press him on the abdomen to get him to step up.

It is good to read what everyone would do different for us who are new to this. For example about the touching your bird all over. I have started with this and play a game where I put my face towards his feathers and he thinks it is so funny and lifts his wing and I snuggle my face in under his wing and make kissing noises. He loves me to put my face into his feathers and kiss him. I do it all over his body. I also use my hands and touch him everywhere, even when he is upside down I stroke his stomach.

I must start with the harness, so that he can go out in Summer.

On topic of your husband, Finnigan doesn't like my husband, but he gets in there, and offers the back of his hand so she can't really bite him(she is a TAG, so she is smaller), and tells her to step up, and eventually she does. Now, she clicks and lunges but he is in there. Sometimes he offers her a distraction (toy or something like that)that she takes while he tells her to step up and she does. I have witnessed their interaction and it seems like Finnigan really does NOT like him at all. However, when I'm not home, she has a bit of a different attitude and will accept his hospitality much more readily. I even have come home and she is sitting with him watching him work. He says she is fine when I'm not there. If your husband is interested (that is the key), he can probably forge a respectable relationship with Harrison thereby breaking up her day and freeing you from guilt. I think its the same kind of thing when people tell you what great kids you have...and you are thinking...my kids? :ohmy:

I would have started giving baths sooner, being more touchy feely with him, and getting him out in public more. Other than that I don't think I have done too much wrong with him. He loves me and is a good boy 95% of the time. He is fine staying in his cage all day when I'm at work...and a few days I work 2 jobs so I'm gone from 6am to 9pm, but I come home for 45min to let him out and change for job #2. I'm glad he is so good with changing schedules because not being able to adapt to them seems to be one of the biggest reasons they start to pluck.

We have a friendship stronger than any I have had with a person (other than my b/f) and I can't picture my life without him.

I would of spent more time with her when she was younger and would still let me pet her.

I would of given her more out time but I was terrified I would do something to mess her up. (you know all the stuff I was told about greys being pluckers screamers extra sentive birds ect scared me)

I think I would of given her a better name too.

But I would of still gotten her.

• 7 months later...

Jane08...

you mentioned using different training techniques, etc. i'm a new owner and looking for the most efficient methods to teach George new and exciting things. do you have suggestions for books or anything else that might help me??

thanks!

I regret nothing and I feel guilty about nothing. I have provided a good home for all of my four legged and feathered friends and they deserve the best me they can get and that is a me without guilt or regret.

Hi Heather,

Does Harrison "step up"? How about have your husband use a perch and train harrison to step up on the perch and get a playstand so your husband can at least get harrsion on the playstand while you are at work?

About touching her everywhere...I play this game with Lilo almsot every morning called "I got you". I would first say "Are you ready" and proceed on touching him every part of his body and say "I got you". When he touch me with his beak I would say "you got me". Now I can touch almost anywhere of his body, of course sometime I get bit when he is cranky, But I m still working on it. I also play "peekaboo" with Lilo using a towel. Sometimes I covered myself in a blanket and play "peekaboo" that way.

Its the cutest thing now that he says "peekaboo" and sometimes he runs (almsot charge at me)and say "I got you" :)

I can totally relate when you said "you are not sure if you would get her" I feel the same way sometimes. its not just about feeling guilty but the fact that I never expect to be so emotionally attached to Lilo. They are truly special, the thought of being without him just make me feel very uneasy. But since I cant go back in time, I just got to do the best I can..Hearing him singing in the morning and griding his beak before he goes to sleep knowing that he is happy is letting me know that at least I ve done something right. :)<br><br>Post edited by: LiloForever, at: 2008/07/22 06:48

Flutterby we used the techniques described by Barbara Heidenreich "good bird" is the book and there are DVD's. Her methods worked a treat for us. She uses positive reinforcement and once we started using that our little man became so much more happier and responded much better to us and we were able to build a bond with him.