NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What size cage do you all have for your congo grey

Barbie36

I'm brand new here. I have a sweet as can be 15 year old congo african grey as well as many other pets. I'm in the middle of shopping for my new cage and need help. Im thinking of getting a 32inch wide by 23 deep by 45 high interior dome cage. I would love a 36 by 24 but space and hubby might not go for it!! Let me know what you all have or recommend. Also, do you all have playtop or dome?

I like the sound of the 36 x 24 x 45 better than the first one you mentioned, and it is similar to the one I have but mine is taller and has a playtop on one side. You really need to go with the larger cage if you can, they need plenty of room for playing and being able to flap their wings and not touch the sides.

Have you had the 15 year old Cag since it was a baby?

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little more about yourself and this grey.

I do think I need to get the 36 wide one or maybe the 34 inch by 24 deep avian adventures mediana model. Its supposed to be a really good brand and its a nice wide cage. I think I would get dome top. I just finished looking at pics of different members cages on another forum and some of them were so tiny, it kind of worried me. I guess if they get out alot it wouldnt be so bad but some cages were really small. There are some great reasonable web sites with free shipping. www.queencitypets.com is good and www.hqbirdcages.com is good too. www.windycityparrot.com too. I know some people cant afford it but a few of the cages were really tiny.

I started out with a 36x24 dometop because that was the size I heard most recommended for Greys. Well, Kali is a very active bird, and he's now in a 48"x34" playtop. He does use the whole cage, inside and out. Go with the biggest you can - height is not important. There are many narrow, tall cages that seem to treat birds as helicopters! They need the width and depth to be bigger, not so much the height of the cage. I prefer the playtop.

How much time will your bird be spending in his cage? The bigger the better if not just for sleeping. Must be able to spread his wings in it and move around comfortably. A flat top cage is better as you can add a playtop if your cage does not have one. Dome top seems such a waste of space to me. Have you looked for a used one? I have few good deals with cages. Sometimes you can get a bigger used cage for less money than you would spend on a new smaller one. I find lots of good deals on Kijiji here in Canada but not sure what sites you have where you live.

The larger the better for your grey. 48x32x72 is what I have and Ziggy ( a blue and gold) has alot of room to play. Thats what you want is enough room for him to play and to be able to flap his wings and not get them cought on the cage sides. He needs exercise even when you are not home and he is in the cage. He will need to occupy himself while you are not at home, so he will need alot of space to climb and to play with his toys in the cage.

I have my eye on a 36 wide 24 deep and 36 inches height playtop. Its a really nice wide cage and would give him room. Really, some of the 32 wide ones are so close in price to this prevue pet one that why not do it. Its not the price he is worried about, I just think he doesnt want to have a cage take up alot of room, ha ha...His is in the corner of family room now so the new cage will just extend a few inches, big deal. Once its put together there is nothing he can do anyway. Im not worried. Again, as I have said before some of the cages I was looking at on the site show us your cage- were really really tiny- I hope as some people get more educated about our sweet grey birds they can get bigger or at least let them out alot.

Alcazar's cage is 30"D x 40"w x 46 1/2" H. These are just inside dimensions. That doesnt include his poop catcher or his play gym on top. Total Height is 74 1/2". His is an HQ cage. I'm very happy w/ his cage and so is he.

www.hqbirdcages.com

I have the same sized cages as BMustee. All were purchased on EBAY. Each are the exact same cage, The only difference is color which the buyer picks out. I've told many people to check that area. They have done that and purchased all different sizes and styles of cages. When purchasing a brand new cage from EBAY you're able to see ever aspect and angle of the cage, the total description, the components, pictures of it, the price of the cage, the S/H, the warranty. There are 4 major companies that are selling on EBAY. One of them is outstanding.

What's the major difference in the cages sold at stores and EBAY? The cages that come from stores are highly priced for one major reason--all have a brand name on it. The cages on EBAY don't. The cages I always purchase are brand new, in the box cages. It's deleivered in 2 boxes--Each cage weighs approx 145 lbs, is moveable, has skirts. There are different sized large cages sold there too. The largest is made for macaws, the next size down is made for medium to slightly larger birds such as Congo, Amazons, Medium Sixed Cockatoos. The cages are very well made and have all the same material that brand name cages have.

Style---For CAGs,TAGs, I believe that getting a domed cage isn't the perfect style. The roof should be flat because the bird likes to climb on the roof upside down. Another plus about the cage I'm talking about has to do with defecating. The bottom of the cage comes with a tray as all cages do. The top of the cage aqlso comes with a duplicate tray. Both are slide outs The bird can be on the cage's playstand and take a dump and it goes in the top tray instead of through the roof.

Before you judge my post here, check out what I'm saying.

Go to Ebay. There's a section that asks what you're looking for. Type in Bird Cages. When it opens, on the lower left of the page you should see 3 or 4 companies.

Click on the one that says Demsond. When it opens click on BUY IT NOW. THis is the new cage section where a person can buy without bidding. Scan the many pages of cages and look for the same style and size cages that BMustee and myself use. This a picture of 3 identical cages. Each was $189 which included S/H. Delivery takes approx 7 to 9 business days.All of these cages pictured are between 7 to 10 yrs old. This a good place to purchase a cage for first time owners and owners who are thinks about another bird

PS, in these pictures all the upper trays were pulled for cleaning.

PS--My Timneh which can go into the next sized smaller is on the same sized cage as the others because the price for the smaller cage and the cages in the pic wasn't much different. Maybe, $20. and I'm a fan of *the bigger, the better* The Timneh loves the cage as do the others. True, the cages aren't fancy as some store bought cages but my birds never complained plus they'll mess up a fancy cage as well as the ones pictured.

DSCN0058.jpg

DSCN0061.jpg

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2007/12/12 18:47<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2007/12/12 19:04

Yeah, ever sense I got the cage from the ebay store I've been telling everyone about them. I got the dome top but I'm going to buy a second cage with the play top to go on my back porch. For how much I saved the cost of two cages from ebay would be the cost of one from a store. I work at a pet store and I know what we buy them for and what we sell them for. For example, we bought a tree stand from a dealer for $70…it’s selling price is $200. Never buy cages and stands from retail stores because you are getting ripped.

My cages for my greys are fairly large, but I did this because I wanted them to have the extra space and room for toys since I work full time and they can't be out all day. I can't remember the demensions, but this is the cages they're in but with more toysd obviously, I was still setting Red's up when I took this!

ted1-1.jpg

Guest briansmum

bricage.jpg

this is brians cage. i forget the measurments.. but it's big! i'm almost 6ft tall and it's taller than me to put the width in perspective lol.

not much in it in the picture because this was the day we put it up, and that filled his old cage. he has more perches and toys in it now. ... look how shiny the arm on my sofa is... it's not like that now i can tell ya' :P

i chose it for the playstand on the side as i'm limited for space, but he never uses it.. so i wish i'd just got a big dome top now.. never mind *sigh*<br><br>Post edited by: briansmum, at: 2007/12/13 00:49

I'm taking dave007 advice and looking for demsond bird cages on ebay and cant find any. If Dave sees this, maybe he can help me. Dave, is the size pretty good you think? The pics look nice from what you showed. I was so ready to get a dome but after reading what you wrote thats true. My grey loves to climb and obviously he is upside down when he is in his cage doing that. Are dome shapes just harder to do that it in?

There's no guarantee that the powder coating is safe. Most companies that sell bird cages won't put large amounts of heavy metals in their paint like lead...however sometimes there can be zinc. BUT the only way they could get zinc poisoning is if they picked at the paint on the outside of the cage and actually digested it!

I personally think that my cages you see are more than adequate in size. The size not only accomodates greys but also medium/large cockatoos --amazons and any other bird in that size catagory. The approx size cage for birds that size should be 32x24x55. That size can slightly vary a bit, but only in inches. My opinion about dome cages may differ with others. I suggest non-dome cages because of the features my cages come with which is a playstand top, another slide out tray, removable skirt and the natural wood perches in the cage and on the playstand. They don't use the smooth, straight perches that come with other cages. It saves a person the job of going outside and looking for a tree branch. More toys can be hung from a flat roof than a round roof and they can be spaced far apart from each other. Flat roofs also allow the bird to cover more area when walking upside down. Of course, the choice is yours.

I ended up buying a fantastic cage. Its a 36 wide by 24 deep by 36 high playtop cage. Overall its 66 inches high which is how tall I am! Its by Prevue Hendryx, a prevue select cage. Very safe and the company has lots of cages out there. They have been around for over 100 years making pet products. This cage at the pet store was 500 bucks and online I saw it for 435 dollars at one sight and 500 at 2 other sights. I got it with shippping for 317.94 at www.futurepet.com what a great place...THey have a sale now on their cages and they are a wonderful price and a great quality cage...I was able to see the cage at a pet store and fully inspect it first. Thanks Dave, you convinced me to get a playtop!