NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Shoulder birds

LogicLover

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't answer this about AG because I am a new owner of one. However, we never allowed our conures to shoulder sit. They seemed to believe that if they were taller than or as tall as us... then they were in charge and quickly became aggresive and argumentative. They quickly learned the command "down".

So far, we are maintaining that with Mr.Boo.

Good luck! I look forward to reading more informed answers to this in regards to AG's

I don't know about the attitude part, but I do know it's better safe than eyeless... Even if your bird is quite gentile, you never know when something might anger her or even spook her into accidentally nailing you. I'll admit I do allow my CAG on my shoulder every once in a while, but only when I have a lot of things to carry, and he is one of them. =P

I'm glad I read this post. Roxy is quite upset with me the last few weeks. She was used to sitting on my shoulder, but I stopped that because I don't always have time to get her towel because she can REALLY make a mess of my clothes.

Now I'm glad I taught her to stay on my arm and fingers, that way I can move her over the newspaper for a poop, and it resolves this problem in our conversation.

Thanks all.

:laugh:

Guest Lidia

Well, I have to disagree with all of you. I've had Joshua eighteen YEARS and he's always sat on my shoulder when he wants to and has never bitten my on my face, ears, nose or cheeks.

I am with you Lidia, even though my Josey is only 14 months old, she is allowed on my shoulder. She has never bitten me and as long as she behaves herself and comes down when I ask I will allow her there. She does not spend a lot of time there, maybe 15 min to half an hour a day is about it. Now my sun Conure, Sunny, spends hours a day on my shoulder, she just rides around with me whatever I am doing, sometimes coming down on my arm or on my chest hanging on to my shirt to see what I am doing and if she can get into whatever she can. I have never had a problem with her either, both of my birds are sweet little darlings.

Its just a personal preference and if you don't feel comfortable with your grey on your shoulder then by all means do not allow it there. I may pay one day for allowing her that priviledge but it is my decision and I will live with it.:) :) :)

Yes it was a jest. My Que just can't do the shoulder thing she gets all mad and screams like a banshee when I try to remove her from the shoulder and well run to the back where I can't reach her and be a brat. She wont stay on the shoulder either she'll move to the head as soon as she can and poop on me. It just don't work. And I like my eyes where they are. How ever stylish a eye patch is.

Now I am guilty of letting my amazon on my shoulder but not often and if someone comes in the room I remove him very quickly cause he has been known to nip me to get me to move away from the "stranger".

None of my birds have ever what I would call a bite just warnings and I try to lesson. lol

I still do not recommend it especially to a new bird owner.

Oh Tari, your Baaaaaddddddd :evil: :evil: :evil:

But, what you say is true. There is serious Risk.

It's not so much whether someones had a Parrot of any type sitting on their shoulder for years with no incident. It's just that the incident, hasn't happened ......YET

As with all risks we take in life, and there are many. Some chose the freedom of taking the risk because the gratification that comes from it. Outweighs the consequences........at that moment.

The important thing, as has been expressed on the forum so well by it's experienced members. Is that you KNOW the hazard's, so you can decide if you wish to take the risk.

I don't personally think a new Parrot owner realizes there is any risk at all with one sitting on your shoulder. We see it in movies, advertising etc. and it IS Cool B) and you assume it's just normal.

I am so tempted with Dayo sometimes, when he wants to inspect my face up close, breathes in your ear, wants to touch your lip etc to just let him stay there.

But, I gently move him down (I know I should not have let him up) and rub him :-) ,

knowing I do not want him on my shoulder.

So, with Dan's philosophy posted. :laugh:

I'll get off the Box and let the next person up. :woohoo:

Guest Lidia

Allowing your pet parrot on your shoulder is a measurable risk.

If you are nervous of being bitten, and flinch when getting your bird to step up, you might well be encouraging bitey behaviour. These clever AGs will do things just to amuse themselves, you know.

One of the pleasures of having a parrot, is being able to walk around with it on your shoulder, chattering away to you and enjoying what you do during your day (which is all they really want).

It's not even about being high up and thinking themselves higher in the hierarchy of your flock. It doesn't work like that for parrots. And Joshua's tree takes him up far higher than me, but he always prefers to sit low, on my shoulder (if I'm moving around) or lap (if I'm sitting). And he knows that if he's on my lap or shoulder he will be cuddled, stroked and tickled by me, which he enjoys. It gives him a way to let me know when he's up for it.

Play it by ear, ladies and gentlemen of the jury!

You are so right, Lidia, its about being with your bird, and when Josey is on my shoulder she has a perfect opportunity to bite me good as I turn to face her and look her in the eyes. She is higher up when she is on her playtop.

I think it is important to look your bird in the eyes, not menacingly but making direct contact and she enjoys that. She can tell by my look that I am pleased and so is she.

My bird wants only to ride on the top of my head, it hurts and I keep trying to keep him on my hand or shoulder but somehow he always wriggles his way up. I told my husband I need a baseball cap with a built in perch but I don't think he will let me out of the house with that kind of get up. Crazy bird woman

Kip goes on my shoulder, as does our Amazon we have now had for 37 years. No doubt there is a risk that people should be aware of and decide what is best for them. There are risks in all we do every day and the best we can do is educate ourselves and then take that information to make a decision each of us is comfortable with. There is no "right or wrong" on this issue in my opinion...B)

Tari wrote:

Did you ever realize the reason for pirate and eye patches?

:P {Feel-good-0002006E}

Sorry couldn't resist saying that.:laugh: :P :P :P<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2007/07/26 12:57

Fun fact: Pirate's eye patches were actually used so they could go from the sunny deck down into the cabin for more supplies during a battle and be able to see inside. They kept one eye adjusted to the dark. =P

I guess it does depend on the bird, if Jacques had never bitten I'd probably allow him on my shoulder all the time, but he's not so calm.

I know some people are against this and others just don't for the safety of their eyes and ears, but all my birds are allowed on my shoulder, with the exception of my new CAG, as I don't know her personality yet. I don't tend to walk around with Red on my shoulder just cause if I lose my footing she goes with me, it's mainly just to get her from point A) Cage to point B) Manazanita tree. She will also hang out on my shoulder while I'm on the computer, tuck one foot up and take a nap. I think that every bird is different, so I go based on their personality, and what I know they're capable of.

Sounds like a well thought out answer, Loviechick, yes if you know your bird you make that decision, I don't do much walking around with Josey on my shoulder but I think I know her well enough to allow the shoulder thing. What works for me may not work for others.:)

30840384_77c59a6e49.jpg

If you read those episodes with Tinkerbell, you will read now and then she gave me manicure. It is interesting why that happened. Even with our relationship, I was very wary at first when she got on my shoulders. I would put my hand up between her and my face to control her beak just in case. I also thought it to be a good idea in case she got bored and want to bite, I rather let her bite my fingers than my cheek. Instead, she got on to giving my fingers a good manicure.

Do read what I wrote about training parrot 'Parrot on shoulder being gentle'.

http://www.geocities.com/shanlung9/wbeinggentle.html