NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Breathing issue

Smoki

I have a grey African and she is just year and a half old and she is very active and healthy. My concern is When she sees me she makes this noise as if she's having a wheezing noise when she's breading. But when she's alone by her self she doesn't have it even when she's sleeping she doesn't have the wheezing sound. she was very talkative and now she doesn't say much of words as she use to say, but she whistles yet, I believe that she got scared by this stray cat which comes to our door step. Or is it a  respiratory issue. The country I live we don't have a vet for birds. The vet we get here are for other animal such as dogs and cat ect... can some one please help me, I just want to know what's wrong with her and if there something wrong what can I do to help her. I'm so helpless as there is no vets for birds in my country. I have attached a video of her breathing. 

• Like 1

Oh that's good news if that's the case coz there is no vet in sri Lanka for birds. It's a big relief for me to hear that from you.I have been very stress these days looking for a vet to go and show her. But unfortunately here there is no vet for birds as the vets are for dogs and cats. Very sad I cant even check her health. That's why I have been trying to get into all the web site to find out if any one could help me. So hope as you said she's excited to see me and she does those sound. I know for a fact if I go out of her site for fraction of a sec she keeps on whistling till I return back to her. Once I come back she comes to my shoulders and makes that noise and wants me to pet her. 

• Like 1

I would tend to agree with Talon, though not certain. My Vannah makes little wheezes and clicks in her breathing when I've been gone all day. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it is similar.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 8:58 PM, Talon said:

It is hard to see on the video, but to me it sounds like she's excited by you..it's hormonal most likely since there are no  other issues with her.

So do you think it's normal. I'm just worried every time she does that sound. Since there is no proper vet that I can take her in my country. The vets here are only for cats and dogs. She is very active and no problem with her appetite. Do you think this wheezing sound wi go off after some time or will it be there for the rest of her life.

Hey talon, she does it always when shes sees me. Other times she breathes normal. And do you think if it hormone for a year and half old fellow. Do you think she gets the hormone kick as she's just one year and four months. Anyways we dont have winter in the country I live. 

• Like 1

Yes she is young, but my Amazon was the same age when she started as well.  They seem to know when spring is regardless of where you live. Sounds like she’s excited by you. It’s ok if that’s the case..it’s just life with parrots!

• Like 1

Alfie has a similar behaviour when he gets hormonal/excited. He makes some clucking noises, puts his wings out in a similar way and will pace on the spot. He will then sometimes regurgitate for me, which I try not to encourage. However he doesn't make the breathy sounds.
If your bird is only doing it every so often in certain circumstances (e.g only when she's interacting with you) and she seems excitable then I'd put it down to hormonal/seasonable/love bug behaviour. If she's still eating ok, playing as normal, pooping ok etc etc and doesn't exhibit this behaviour at any other time then again, I'd probably say hormonal/seasonable behaviours.

However, it's important to note that none of us here are vets or experts, I'm just going by my own experience with my own bird and the video you shared.

• Like 2