NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Vannah is gaining weight at 28...

JennS

1 hour ago, SRSeedBurners said:

The pandemic has been tough on everyone.   Has she been dating the fridge (my wife told one of her school friends that on the phone the other day) 🤣

I am sure her diet has changed since we just brought her home in July 2020. I'm not sure how much it's changed though. She ate fruits and veggies and a seed mix before, but we couldn't nail down how much. She still eats those things, but we added a pellet mix and cut the seeds back. We introduced some specific veggies at the recommendation of members here to help with the nutritional content of her food.  She also gets an occasional walnut or almond in its shell. She enjoys playing with them before eating. (They are also an 'in' for my husband whom she doesn't really care for.)

Though fully feathered, she doesn't fly. Her previous human said he didn't think she knew she could. We tried to interest her, but she doesn't seem to want to. 

• Like 1

You didn't mention what pellet you are using but I noticed Harrisons high-potency (not sure about the lifetime as I've never used it) will pack on the weight if they have free access to them.   Our former cockatiel really ballooned out on them.  GreycieMae will pack on the pudge as she loves to eat.   My birds have no choice but to fly.  They get tossed regularly in the living room and have to circle around and back into the dining area where we have their cages.  I'll usually fly Greycie until she starts to want to take a short-cut and just land on me.  Maybe a couple more tosses.   It gets her breathing and I feel like it keeps her somewhat active.    She will bust out flying on her own which usually starts our flying episodes.   Huey came to us as a non-flyer.   I started him on the bed.  Just short tosses.  He know flys all over the place.

• Like 1

I love the drawer idea! Vannah loves crawling under things. Her newest favorite hangout is under the coffee table. There's only a 3 or 4 inch clearance, but she loves going under there. Huey is a cutie. His story gives me hope that Vannah will fly someday. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@JennS  I know there are healthier pellets, but mine is so enthralled with Zupreem, I have left him on it for 20+ years.   I believe Harrisons to be healthier, but since pellets are only 1/6 of mine's diet, I have kept his old favourite pellet mix anyway.  But if you can get yours to accept Harrisons -- that's great!  Mine does receive a lot of fresh fruit/veg plus rice/pasta, so I let him keep enjoying his old Zupreem pellets for snacking and enrichment purposes.   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2021 at 12:17 PM, LNCAG said:

@JennS  I know there are healthier pellets, but mine is so enthralled with Zupreem, I have left him on it for 20+ years.   I believe Harrisons to be healthier, but since pellets are only 1/6 of mine's diet, I have kept his old favourite pellet mix anyway.  But if you can get yours to accept Harrisons -- that's great!  Mine does receive a lot of fresh fruit/veg plus rice/pasta, so I let him keep enjoying his old Zupreem pellets for snacking and enrichment purposes.   

Thank you! I may try that. Right now she's on a mix of Zupreem and Kaytee. Our stores are a bit limited in what they carry since last March. I'll see if I can find the Harrison's.

• Like 1