NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My owner is home 24/7 -- WHY? March & April 2020

LNCAG

Snickers speaking here. 

My owner is usually out during the day, and I miss her.   But she's home all the time now and I need 'some space' -- Help!!!

I like having her home, but not ALL THE TIME!  I mean, I enjoy more time out of my cage, sure; but something is creepy about her being here always.  Like ALL THE TIME!  You guys know this can't be normal.  Should I be worried?  Honestly, I think she's a bit stressed... and mental.

What's going on???

• Like 1

Huey here.  What's going on out there is a severe plucking and biting issue.  We've seen them all wearing masks so we know this is what's going on.   Plus most of them have been sent home to timeout.  Apparently yours is in timeout which can be stressful on you.   

Instead of letting this get to you, you can use this time to train your hooman, they make great kitchen and wait staff and can do all sorts of tasks to make your day easier.  They are trainable albeit some train better than others and you need to use different tactics.  I have two hoomans: a male and a female.   

This is my male.  He's a blockhead and very hard-headed.  He needs stern training methods.  I can't let my guard down with this one or he wants to get all touchy-feely and gets in my stuff.  He loses sight of his main tasks: cooking and cleaning, getting and taking.  I have him trained to do stuff through whistles and verbal commands, I can even control the pace by using a 'RAWRRRR' and shows him that I am a The TyrannosaurusHueyRex and not to mess.  He responds to hard bites as well.   Occasionally, and this is when he's in my stuff or I want some alone time with my female hooman, I have to resort to flying biting attacks.   Those are rare though and you can really injure them so use sparingly.

HueyHooman01.thumb.jpg.f6e090fefe6a8b3e130dee537f636909.jpg

This is my female.  She's my pet.  She is trained but she is not part of my waitstaff.  I love on her, give her kisses, cuddle with her, feed her (she doesn't realize she needs this).   She has recently been confined to the house in timeout but we are adjusting.  I have had to have a couple of stern moments with her when she gets a little rough but I let things slide with this one, she's definitely my favorite. Sometimes I do get tired of too much time with my hoomans and in that case, I have my male, the slave, take us out to the outdoor aviary if the weathers nice, or to the indoor aviary in inclement weather.   I make sure that he has prepared a nice 'lunches with the ladies' so that I can dine with GreycieMae.    You can make this work, just don't let it get you down.

HueyBedroomEyesSafe.thumb.jpg.7872adc0b4f9aac31e2095c3d76473fc.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Snickers here.  You're correct.  Humans can be helpful and mine is very trainable.  Sometimes when I say something, my human actually repeats it.  Or if I start whistling, my human will whistle back.  Very trainable!  lol

• Like 1

This is Timber. My human "retarded" about six years ago and has been in my face since. You have to take the good with the bad. Pros include constant housekeeping services and treat availability. Cons include her constant presence. She gets a bit noisy at times during my nap time and has to be reprimanded. Humans are like that though, you must maintain discipline at all times. In the past few months things have been a little different. She doesn't go to the store as often to pick up the things I need, which can be problematic but we are working through it.

The male is a little more of a problem. He appears to be bored, which drives him to spend a little more time than he should trying to get my attention. Humans are soooo needy. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!

Hang in there!

• Haha 1

Snickers here again.  I am missing some favourite treats too!  I am getting peas, corn, rice, apples and carrots.  That's it.  Seriously -- that's the only fresh food I get!  I am ready to call the ASPCA.  I am receiving a more pellets and seeds these days, and they're okay -- but where is my melon???  Where are my grapes???  Whatever happened to my butternut squash?  

I hate to be negative, but....

I sometimes wonder if something is wrong in the world these days -- my human is more available to me but my favourite foods are not.  Cruelty I cry!  I wish my human would go to the store and get me my needs met! I mean, what IS her problem?  

• Haha 1

Timber here again. In my opinion (not so humble) your human is getting lazy. They tend to do that if left unsupervised for too long. Have you let down your guard and slacked on your daily training routine with her? It's easy to do because it can be tiresome since humans require endless repetition and reinforcement or they will quickly forget all you have taught them. That said, the grapes are nonnegotiable. You have to make a stand at some point and rein her in, and some things are simply not acceptable. Don't bother with the ASPCA. When I called the moronic human who answered wanted to talk to my human. Pointless. They obviously have staffing issues and have forgotten their mission.

Good luck and know that I feel your pain.

• Haha 1