NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

a newbee

Guest Andy

Would it be wise to put a pair of young Greys and a pair of young Double Yellow Amazones in a indoor aviary without cages ?

Are they already friends and have met without cages?  I find Amazons very dominating and boisterous -- even in a huge aviary they would need to be pretty good friends with the greys already.  

Not saying it hasn't been done.  But greys can be very sensitive and threatened by Amazons.  Even when young.  Were the raised together?  My local sanctuary never mixes Amazons with any other species.

Amazons act like they aren't afraid of anything, whereas greys (in spite of stories on here) can actually be shy, reserved and sensitive.  I think greys could feel very threatened in this arrangement unless they are already friendly with the Amazons in questions (like growing up around each other and having already had positive, safe physical contact). 

Is it possible to have two aviaries -- one for each type of parrot?  Also, do you know their genders yet -- later this could make for some difficult behaviours.   Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I have an amazon, a cag & a tag.  They co-exist in my house.  I would NEVER put 4 (2 of each) together in an aviary unattended by me.  Too much can happen. I have seen fights with my 3, and if I was not there to intervene, most likely 1 would end up a bloody mess of worse.They are not to be trusted even tho 95% of the time they do fine together.  My amazon & tag USED to play chase as a fun game flying thru my house....now my amazon can be bully and just chase my tag out of her space..for whatever reason, they don't care for each other.  MY 3 have found their place in a flock of 3 thru trial and testing...my cag is the queen (although not spoiled or favored)  next is my amazon lastly is my tag...maybe due to size?  even tho my amazon is big, idk.

They are all close in age and grew up together..but know and have their place..they don't like to share...Ages:  tag 14, cag 14 and 1 month younger than my tag..my amazon 11 years old. I have had them all since they were very young.

• Like 2