NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My take on Covid-19

KevinD

Having been around death all my life, I think this one is hitting home because we haven't seen this kind of fear since the 1918 Spanish Flu.

In the end I believe a bunch of folks will die, same as from the every year influenza, probably more but not by much.

I think often times, folks don't think about there own mortality very often, because well.... Its a taboo subject, who wants to think about their death, not many I know of.

The truth is we all have that appointment, we just don't know when.

Every person owes a debt, and it will be paid if your thinking about it or not, at some point.

After all the death I've seen, I would rather like to think it is our mortality that defines us, not to be feared, but rather to remind us to live everyday as it was your last.

Take care of those that can't take care of themselves, and do the right things, instead of the wrongs.

Were all human, after all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I totally agree. I think we are seeing a overreaction fueled by panic to this one. I understand the need to take extra precautions if you are elderly (guess I may fall in that class) or compromised, but I suspect in the final tally the damage done to people due to economic repercussions may outweigh the effects of the virus. My time will come when it comes, meanwhile I will not live in fear. I am as careful as I can be, but I'm not going to live in a cocoon. I often wonder if all the resources should not be focused on protecting those at high risk instead of the general population... just my opinion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Timbersmom said:

I often wonder if all the resources should not be focused on protecting those at high risk instead of the general population... just my opinion.

You are correct, but the logistics is a nightmare, and there are still politics in play.

Your no more older then I am LOL, you have wisdom and common sense, that which is sorely lacking in these times. 

• Like 2

I worry about it, but for my 21 year old son who has asthma that goes wild when he gets sick.  He will be alone. I worry about getting it because I am a runner and don’t want to lose my lung capacity. However I am considered an essential worker and am still working every day. I just try to stay safe and stay away from others.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am in the High Risk Group (Diabetes, Heart Disease, Hemochromatosis) but am just being careful as I can.  That means only going out when necessary, staying a distance away from people and telling people to back off, I am high risk if they come too close to me if I do absolutely have to go out.  People are panicking, it is crazy!  The stores in my area are almost empty and get emptied out again as soon as they are restocked.  I havent been able to find Flour and other baking supplies since this all started.  There are no cleaning or Paper Products to be found in the stores.  Fortunately, I am Retired with a Pension, but money is no help when there is nothing left to buy.  I cant Imagine the Hardships of those who cannot work during this due to the lockdown in my State.  We are only to go out for Essential Services, pretty much food and pharmacy only.  Even the medical centers are going to video conferencing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Same here with high risk group.  I haven't been to the stores but sister brings by groceries so I won't go out -- and she lives 60+ miles away.  A real blessing.  She can't find a LOT of stuff, but I am thankful for the 'treats' (not chocolate just grocery items I didn't even know I wanted).  I am blessed... could always be so much worse.  

No TP -- but thankfully I bought a large package in Dec or January.  Still plenty left.  Sis did find paper towels though!  :)

Edited by LNCAG
fine changed to find
  • Like 2

Fortunate here hubby is essential but over 65 and on chemo, I am also over 65 but have so far had a great immune system. 'Some of our adult kids live with us and the married one has a wife who is immune compromised.. I do most of the shopping still but here we still have food items pretty well stocked, paper products making a little comeback. Lots of hand washing and I use hand sanitizer when shopping and wash my hands and forearms when getting home.

• Like 1