NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Sun is up

Ray P

The Sun is up and Corky is  in her daily routine of welcoming a new day. She is in competition  with the outside birds and she is winning.

To some people this is just noise, but to me it`s music to ears.

She has learned the calls of many species of birds around us and will call back in their language and they will answer her back. She is sitting on my bare shoulder and just dropped her lovingly morning pop bomb down my bare back.

I have to stop and get a towel.

Most of the time she will not pop on me,, but from time to time she will show me who the boss is.

I gave her that look of why did you do that and than she burped.

You got to love them.

Her competition with the outside birds has ended and she has declared victory.

Just another morning with Corky

547.jpg.482cf987d34306acb37c04d6e5da5a6f.jpg299.jpg.67300b4adc9a3e7096adb42e195979e3.jpg069.jpg.e4078bcc67e3f4dccc243dc9f9b0e810.jpg

• Like 2

Glad the battle is over and Corky can relax as queen of her domain for another day :) I hold Timber up to the window so he can see the outside birds eating from the feeder or in the bird bath every morning. He looks at them with disdain then at me like why are you wasting my time. I'm convinced he doesn't know he's a bird...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh Corky is a meower also along with barking like a dog.

When our dogs were alive and some one came to the door they would bark and she would join in and bark with them.

Now when some one comes to the door it`s just her there to bark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alfie learned to bark like the neighbours Jack Russell.. which never used to stop barking. However, Alfie always sounded a lot cuter than the actual dog, so I can deal with it.

The dog has gone because the neighbours moved but Alfie still barks on occassion.

He never learned to bark like our german shepherd when we lived with my parents though. I'd prefer that bark over a jack russell any day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Timber does 3 very distinctive meows, I'm assuming from homes he has lived in. When I'm in the other room or upstairs, he will run through his repertoire of all 3. The third sounds like a cat caught in a trap or something. It's actually pretty distressing! I have two cats and it gets my attention when I hear that one, until I remember it is Timber. His mimic ability on animal sounds is uncanny.

• Haha 2

My b&g macaw Sami had several distinctive 'hellos' -- one was a very soft drawn out and flirtatious 'hel loooooo' ala Joey on Friends.  I had her whole life, so no idea where she learned it.  For real.  I don't say hello like that or know anyone who does.  But she does have my own telephone pick-up voice 'hello' down pat.  Would often say hello as soon as the phone started ringing.  lol

(Just so you know, after 20 years of keeping her, I purchased a spot for Sami at the Cape Fear Parrot Sanctuary -- so she's free-flying these days with lots of macaw friends.  My favourite days are when I visit her there.  She suddenly ditches her new flock and plays the baby macaw role for me for old times sake -- adorable).  This is the same sanctuary where my CAG will go when I die.  I kept him because he isn't socialized (had him 22 years) and he pretty much only likes me, afraid of new situations, etc..  Whereas Sami never met a stranger and considers everything an adventure.  I wish my CAG Snickers was more outgoing with other people and parrots).  

[Sad to mention: many greys don't 'make it' at the sanctuary and the various owners/sanctuary supporters end up giving them indoor homes.  That said, about a dozen+ greys did adjust well at the sanctuary and are free to fly and flock! My dream is my Snickers one day adjusting to such freedom -- fitting in with the flock and flying free!]

Also, wanted to add that giving my better-adjusted happy parrots (b&g macaw, YN amazon and 22 yo cockatiel -- companions for 20+ years!) having their freedom back was the HARDEST choice I ever made. I decided their happiness meant more than mine.  An incredibly difficult choice, nonetheless.  They're happier than I am with the choice.  I miss them... then I remember them flying and preening each other.... well, they're happy in a flock flying....  At least I can visit whenever I want, and I do, often.  Parrots NEVER forget you.  :)

I write this extra bit about a sanctuary because none of us live forever, and planning for your parrot's future is incredibly important.  Parrots are rehomed at an alarming rate and making plans for mine as I get older was important to me.  And to you.  Because we love them so much. 

Edited by LNCAG
adding about greys and sanctuaries -- greys can be 'set in their ways' yannoe. :(
  • Like 2

I agree that parrots are rehomed at an alarming rate. I'm shocked when I see how many are "available." I know there are real situations where people have no choice, but that number doesn't match the number of parrots available to rehome. So sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I considered rehoming Alfie for a while so I understand how difficult it must have been for you.

At the time I wasn't providing Alfie with the time and attention he needed and I felt like I wasn't good enough for him and he deserved much better. The latter is definitely true. I was putting in lots of hours at work and trying to study at the same time so Alfie wasn't getting as much out of cage time as he should and not enough social interaction for a while.

I looked up a few recuse centres and even contacted one but they never got back to me.

I came to the conclusion that Alfie didn't ask to be put int his situation so I needed to make some drastic changes. I figured I would try my best to adapt and get into a better routine to I had more time to spend with him (and work less whilst I was at it). It took me many months of making little changes here and there- like rearranging the rooms in the house, relocating Alfie's cage, getting him a new cage, changing my routines etc etc. When I bought my house I went into it looking at layouts which suited Alfie best. I'm forever learning and adapting to suit Alfie's needs and I am happy that I have made enough changes along the way that I no longer consider rehoming him. He seems so much happier since moving to this house 6 years ago and being the centre of attention in our living space. Plus he gets so much more time out of the cage and with me.

It's always a tough decision and not one to take lightly. It reduced me to tears on a number of occasions as I tried to work out what to do for the best. Thankfully I was able to make the required changes to improve things though.

• Like 3

@neoow Completely ignorant about UK weather and if such sanctuaries even exist there.  The one I chose was close by me, mostly good weather (winters not too cold) although we are always at hurricane risk.  Many times, with a bad cold front or hurricane coming through -- they literally have to catch and place every single bird inside all the volunteer's (and director/board of sanctuaries) private homes to keep them safe.  It is a daunting task to move parrots inside, but thankfully, most of the time, bad weather is no issue. 

I did have to pay to place mine there -- it was costly -- but consider, they are taking care of my babies forever.  I obviously make donations and never visit empty-handed.  It takes a LOT of volunteers -- this isn't a zoo with federal monies -- it's a private charity sanctuary that depends on donations.  But since half the birds there are from people like me who just wanted their parrots to be free -- we all donate.  In a way, I suppose we're still caring for our birds even though they don't happen to live with us any longer.

That's not to say the other half of their parrots didn't come from rescue situations, prior abuse, owner neglect, owner died, etc..  Sometimes when local authorities get reports of parrot abuse -- they confiscate the birds, and then surrender the parrots to the sanctuary (since many spca/humane societies or local shelters for dogs/cats have no idea what to do with parrots). Obviously, no one pays the sanctuary for these such bird's care -- so our donations help ALL the parrots there.  So, some parrots go there just to be free (like mine) but many are rescued/surrendered parrots that just end up there to simply be safe and fed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2019 at 2:53 AM, LNCAG said:

@neoow Completely ignorant about UK weather and if such sanctuaries even exist there.  The one I chose was close by me, mostly good weather (winters not too cold) although we are always at hurricane risk.  Many times, with a bad cold front or hurricane coming through -- they literally have to catch and place every single bird inside all the volunteer's (and director/board of sanctuaries) private homes to keep them safe.  It is a daunting task to move parrots inside, but thankfully, most of the time, bad weather is no issue. 

I did have to pay to place mine there -- it was costly -- but consider, they are taking care of my babies forever.  I obviously make donations and never visit empty-handed.  It takes a LOT of volunteers -- this isn't a zoo with federal monies -- it's a private charity sanctuary that depends on donations.  But since half the birds there are from people like me who just wanted their parrots to be free -- we all donate.  In a way, I suppose we're still caring for our birds even though they don't happen to live with us any longer.

That's not to say the other half of their parrots didn't come from rescue situations, prior abuse, owner neglect, owner died, etc..  Sometimes when local authorities get reports of parrot abuse -- they confiscate the birds, and then surrender the parrots to the sanctuary (since many spca/humane societies or local shelters for dogs/cats have no idea what to do with parrots). Obviously, no one pays the sanctuary for these such bird's care -- so our donations help ALL the parrots there.  So, some parrots go there just to be free (like mine) but many are rescued/surrendered parrots that just end up there to simply be safe and fed. 

The weather here is dull, grey miserable and usually raining. We have had quite a few hot days this year but the heat we get with it is usually unbearable. Very hot, humid and close. When you walk out of the house/work you feel like you're walking into a brick wall. We don't have to deal with hurricanes though and our storms are usually quite tame. We don't often get much snow where I am - though everything still grinds to a halt when it happens because we're not used to it.

I understand what you are saying about the sanctuary where your birds live. It's great that you still get to visit and can donate towards their care (and the care of other birds). I would have wanted something similar to Alfie but there's not many rescue centres around here, especially not close to home.

• Like 3

@neoow The guy who started Cape Fear Parrot Sanctuary (where my birds are) had a couple macaws and decided one day how cool it would be if they could just fly free.  Like many teenage macaws (been there, done that) his had become sexually mature and moody -- sometimes too, um, affectionate and sometimes downright mean and bitey,  Typical for maturing macaws.  I saw an article in the paper about his new parrot sanctuary (his own macaws live there!) and that started my dream of maybe one day placing mine there.  2+ years ago I made the decision to let mine join his flock.  I had to save up the money first.  News has gotten out, and I think he often has to refuse some parrots and refer them elsewhere.  They have to keep in mind how many parrots they can truly care for -- and that they need enough indoor space to place them when something horrible happens (like a hurricane or extremely low temps in winter -- winters are usually fairly mild here).  Parrots actually do better in cooler temps than really high hot temps -- he only accepts parrots from like April to September so that they can acclimate in time for winter.  But, even though parrots can deal with some cold, they can't deal with days of below freezing temps -- hence needing to be indoors before a cold snap comes through.  No one wants any lost parrot toes!  

The sanctuary has a board of directors plus lots of volunteers, it's non-profit and has a lot of community support.  I don't think he originally perceived the sanctuary might become a refuge for neglected/abused parrots, but obviously he was delighted to give such parrots a safe refuge.  His original dream was for pet parrots to have a place to flock and be free to fly around.  His website/FB site now emphasizes neglected/abused/surrendered birds -- so his vision has expanded.  I think he has more parrots than he ever intended (up to 270 or so now).  It costs a lot for upkeep.  I remember last Fall we had a horrible hurricane and it was a huge task to get all the parrots to indoor safety before it hit. I've watched this sanctuary grow from its beginnings -- they own their own land now, and are constantly building and adding on. And, they have an eye for the future knowing one day the task will have to pass to someone younger who has the same vision.

ANY eggs are destroyed immediately -- there is no breeding and they do not sell any parrots. This is a lifelong home for parrots.

Who knows, one day -- this may be something YOU create -- a safe sanctuary for parrots!

I watched a special on the making of "As Time Goes By" (one of my favourite old shows!) and the director talked about how overcast, dismal and rainy UK weather could be -- the actors literally waited under tents until the sun came out and then would rush to get a scene filmed in the 10 minutes of sun they got!  lol  

• Like 2

Funny you should say that... if I somehow managed to make enough money that I could give up working full time then I would love to start up a sanctuary/rescue centre.

Yes British weather is often talked/complained about over here. We're never happy. It's always too cold/hot/wet/dry etc etc 😂

• Like 3