NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey in the hospital

Talon

Hi everyone, some of you may remember, my son has a Congo African grey, he’s a big guy.  Ollie is his name. There was an accident yesterday and his foot was pinned by the weight of a heavy door.  My son called me and sent me pics of the cut, which was difficult to see. It didn’t look to bad.  Fast forward to last night at 9pm, my ex husband called and asked if they should drive him to the emergency hospital Tufts 2 hours away, I said I could say I hadn’t seen Ollie, so I went over and it’s bad..my first guess is he will lose his foot.  I lent my car to my son who drove to the hospital last night.  They admittedly Ollie to put him on pain meds and keep him comfortable until the Zoology team gets in today.  The girl there told my son he had a compund fracture, the bone was sticking out, but it was probably too difficult to fix, it didn’t look good and he should probably be euthanized...to which my son told her to F#ck off.   

So we’re waiting until around 10 am to see the next step...please pray for Ollie..the bill for last night was $1500 to admit him... I can only imagine the cost of this, but you can't put a price on a loved family member.    😥

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Thank you!  The vet just called, they said they can fix the break, a bar with pins for several weeks, then eventually removal of it.  She also said that if a Bird is going to break a bone, it will always be their foot, its the most delicate & easily broken bone on a bird. So surgery tomorrow, then home to recoup.  the cost will be just over $2000, xrays, blood work ,sedation & the operation. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Greytness said:

This is such great news! When I read they were discussing euthanizing him, I just couldn't believe that.

Me either!  Although I don't encourage bad words..I was proud of my sons comeback to her!  Even the vet said that was inappropriate & completely wrong to say.  Hopefully that employee will get a talking to...you don't say that to someone until & unless a Dr has seen Ollie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well, Ollie had surgery yesterday.  They said it took longer than expected.  He has 2 pins in 2 different places on his leg & a bar.  :(   He has the cone of shame on so he wouldn't pick, but he destroyed it so they put a bigger one on him. He won' eat, so they are feeding him intravenously....He is on opioids & anti inflammatory meds.  He will most likely keep the pins & bar in for about 2 months, then he goes back to have those things removed.  My son can go get him around 4 pm today, the Tufts Hospital is about 2 hours away, so I personally wont see him until Friday. 

We hired a friend carpenter to make a ramp to his cage as Ollie likes to go in his cage by climbing himself at his will.  He was clipped for the first 11 years of his life, he can fly now, but he is very big & heavy grey so it takes alot of effort & he's quite clumsy.    He also made a full size shelf to fit the cage, which my son will pad so Ollie can get around from food bowl to water bowl etc.  I will try & get a pic & post it. 

I will update then.

• Like 4

Here is Ollie’s modified cage.  The woos is covered with soft towels and soft perches arranged for him to rest against. I baby sat him today, he just s sits and rests his beak on  the perch.  I fed him apple and brought his water bowl over for him to drink.  He’s very quiet abs sleeps a lot...probably the meds...

2D91170D-255D-4490-BF2F-9A26DDDCEAC0.jpeg

8BCA5065-7B86-4880-A191-EF81FFA0AF71.jpeg

C92979FD-3882-4B90-B93B-27C845ED79C3.jpeg

03A32374-5EB1-4A88-BB22-8E2AA45FF891.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is heart wrenching.  Ollie is strong and resilient.  He is very intelligent and will adapt to his recovery.  I am so sorry for all of you going through this with him. You have done a great job adapting his environment for his best recovery.  He is a handsome boy and in good hands.

• Like 4

Poor Ollie! It is so sad to see them just sitting there when they are usually so active. The good news is it will pass! When Timber was at his lowest point healthwise, it was heart wrenching to see him huddled on the towel in the floor of the hospital cage. The recovery is worth the downtime, though Ollie might not agree with the cone of shame ;)

• Like 3