NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New and just started

jojo1

Adopting a Grey and want to be ready.  She is 20 yrs. old. One toe missing. Has been in a shelter. She is very nervous. Does not want to be touched. Has had seizures.

I have had a Mccaw few years ago. So I know the basics.  But I am buying a new cage and want to get the right one first time. And I will start from scratch on letting this bird get use to me first before I move to other issues.

I want to focus on health feeding and finding out if maybe vitamin diff. on the seizures the bird has been tested and no know cause.

If you have any pointers on cage size brand.   Food vitamins Please help.

Edited by jojo1
  • Like 2

Hi Jojo1! First of all, welcome! And thank you for reaching out to adopt this deserving grey!

There are a lot of great cages on the market. But first I'd find out if she has a tendency to fall off her perch with her seizure activity, as that would determine how tall of a cage I'd get. Or, you could get a tall cage and place her perches lower until you figure out how things go for her.

I have 2 prevue Hendrix cages; one for my CAG, and one for my macaw. It's a tall cage: https://prevuepet.com/product/642/empire-large-bird-cage-3157  but it works great for all their hanging toys. My CAGs love to swing and dangle from their toys.

A fresh diet will be vital, but may take your new baby awhile to transition over to it. Here is a great article dealing with teas for our birds. Perhaps there will be a blend that will help with seizure activity: https://birdtalksubscribe.com/blogs/news/why-tea-is-so-great-for-parrots  I mentioned this FB forum to another new member, Joannie, here, which has great information for feeding your baby a healthy raw diet. It's a closed group, so you'll have to request access to it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AVIANRAW/?ref=bookmarks  If you join, please go to their 'files' to read all about sprouting, raw diets and avian teas.

First and foremost, I would make certain your grey begins receiving foods rich in vitamin A. They are prone to becoming A deficient. Yams and sweet potatoes are great for that. Also, red palm oil is awesome for them.

Greys are very slow to warm up to people, with some taking months to years to fully acclimate to their new caregiver. Patience is everything!

Looking forward to reading all about your new baby!  

• Like 3

If your bird is having seizures make sure you have her under an avian vet's care, that said it will just take time for her to become comfortable in her new to her home. It is understandable she is nervous and is wary of you but that will change but it may take lots of time and patience on your part to allow her to go at her own pace, this could take weeks, months or even years but it will be well worth it. A grey's trust has to be earned and since she has been without the love and attention she deserves it will be slow to come.

• Like 2

Help needed again.  I am thinking.  I will prob need different feeding cups.  Any good suggestions on this. On where to buy. All I find is really small ones and I would like something better than what comes with the cage I see it making a big mess.

• Like 2

No matter what your Grey will be able to make a mess.  often use the heavy ceramic crocks that are given to rabbits. if they don't fit in the feed doors you can feed on the cage floor just not under a perch where their droppings fall. Some of our birds like the challenge of finding their food or treats in a shallow pan containing shredded paper or some other safe medium to dig through looking for their rewards. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The ones that come with the cage are deep. Regardless, birds are messy. They wipe their beaks on things, shake their heads while having a full beak, and drop stuff deemed to be un-tasty to them.

Some use plexiglass sheets to protect walls. I use furniture protecting plastic mats underneath  my cages as well as blank newsprint sheets in the messiest areas

• Like 1