NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question regarding diet

Proarrot

Hi all

im a new member so I’m very happy to have found this forum. I’ll be getting my African grey in two weeks and I’m having questions regarding their diet. 

I know the food they can and can’t eat. I also know their diet consists of pellets veggies, moderate nuts , moderate seeds and fruits. I know it’s 75% of pellets 20-25% of veggies and fruits and 5% of treats(nuts,seeds). However, I’m wondering how many times a day I should give her veggies and how many fruits she can eat. Can she eat one entire banana or should I just cut in half and give her the half? How many sun flower needs should I give her and how many almonds ? I guess it’s one almond a day? 

I read I could give her a plate of veggies and fruits in the morning and one hour before going to sleep then give her treats throughout the day. Is this correct? 

Thanks a lot and sorry for asking lots of questions but I want to know how to feed her so I don’t make mistakes. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. You are definitely on the right track with the best intentions in mind for your amazing companion joining your life soon.

think it’s also important to remember that this is not an exact science and you will soon see our greys have rather strong opinions about food (and life in general) which needs to be incooperated.

hopefully yours will be used to or willing to eat pellets, otherwise that’s the first challenge. Sprouting sunflower seeds makes them much more nutritious btw and is quite easy.

ours have access to Harrison Pellets all the time (course red label type), and get veg/fruit in the morning, but they are picky. Ours have a sweet tooth and prefer apples, pears, melon while green veggies not so much.

good luck and remember report back now it goes with a pic or two. 🙂

• Like 1

I remember hearing one of the more experienced people on the forum saying no more than 2 small pieces of fruit a week.  Timber doesn't like fruit so that's never been an issue with me, ha. I try to give Timber a variety of things. He likes some vegetables cooked, others raw. You have to experiment, and don't assume if your bird rejects something once it is a forever thing. You can offer Timber the same food three times in a week, once he will eat it the other two times he will pass. In addition to pellets, veggies, and a quality seed mix, they also sometimes enjoy boiled or scrambled egg. Timber is partial to meat, and I'm not sure how common that is. Meat is fine, just watch out for added salt or sauces that are unhealthy. They often enjoy a chicken wing bone, for instance. I just buy a pack of frozen wings and boil one for Timber occasionally. I strip off most of the meat and give him the bone. If he's in the mood, he'll strip every bit of marrow out. It's fascinating to watch. 

Look at the "stickies" on opening page of the forum for nutrition and diet info. There is a lot there. As Kasperhm mentioned, sprouted seeds are good for them, and usually well received. Many of the forum members make "chop" for their birds (also birdy bread) and there are recipes in the diet and nutrition area I just mentioned. Unfortunately for me, Timber doesn't like either one. However, he is extremely picky and naturally thin (according to the avian vet).