NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello feathered friend parents

Cookie

Hi All,

Question - my AF fell in the cage during a night thrash.  She was at my moms while I was away.  When I picked her up it looked like she had a pink small bald spot next to wing bone.  Thought I w observe it bf going to doctor.  Two weeks later she had a dark spot abive area (not blood) looked like oil.  Now the feathers look messy and unkempt.   Decided to make appt for tomorrow just in case.   She’s never picked her feathers.  Any thoughts?  

Anxious momma in NY  

Much Appreciated  

AC7DCDEA-0056-4295-B0A3-0BF30C680F40.jpeg

• Like 2

I think you did the right thing to make an appointment with an avian vet, looks like she is picking at that area and it could be infected, most times when birds pluck or pick at a certain area it means something there is bothering them and an avian vet will be able to determine what is going on. Hope it turns out to be something easy to deal with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it's sensible to get it checked out. It looks like she's either been over-preening or picking at that area, which means it might be bothering her. Better to be safe and get an avian vet to give her a look I think.

Do let us know how you get on.

• Like 2

Good evening everyone,

Thank you for your responses to my post above.  I took Cookie to the vet yesterday and was told that it does look like she is over-preening in the area where she has the bald spot.  The vet seemed much more concerned about doing a wellness check than what I had gone in for.  She then tried to sell me on the idea (fear) that since she had fallen {I explained that she on occasion has night trashes; she said she has not heard that they are common in greys} perhaps we should do the avian bornn virus test.  I declined since Cookie does not fall often and had all the tests done on her first visit there 11 years ago.  The doctor then tells me that the test is much more accurate today (I don't like it when they try too hard to sell me on something I don't need.  Anyhoo, I digress and will keep monitoring the area for any new signs of over preening and call the vet if it worsens.  Thanks again! 

• Like 2

I agree on your assessment of the AVB test.   It was completely useless when we lost our Jardines to it 5 years ago.  If they have it, you're screwed.   I haven't heard of too much advancement in treatment for that disease.   Lots of false positives (carriers abound) with the test when we were dealing with it.

• Like 2

Hello AF Community,

i am concern again.  The picking got better until today 😢  The test resultscame back negative   Have any of you seen this behavior in their grey?   We.ve has her for 11 years without any picking   Much appreciated    

AJ