NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New grey owner

My husband (CT Gull) and I rescued an almost 5 year old Congo Grey. After spending most of the first 24 hours at the vet's,  she/he is slowly acclimating to our home. This is a big feat when you find out we have 3 other parrots, 2 rescued dogs, 2 rescued cats, 7 snakes, 1 gecko, 1 frog, 1 bearded dragon, 1 Cuban Rock Iguana, a Bearded Dragon, and a frog. The perils of bringing up 3 kids who also love animals.

I had the vet do some blood work on Piper which shows some very elevated levels for Potassium, Liver components though functioning is normal, and a couple of tests that I'm unsure of. The parrot was on a seed and nut diet only. I don't think see ever got any sunlight or vitamin D. We have already started her on a pelleted diet and will be adding in freeze dried vegetables to it as well. 

I am looking for any holistic remedies I might also use as well. I heard about Milk thistle extract at the Aviculture summit that was held in CT last summer. However, I think that was for respiratory issues which Piper doesn't appear to have. Originally, the vet was talking about her going on medication to help with the feather plucking. I have decided against that due to the levels being out of whack. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am attaching a photo I hope so you can see how she looks. She loves to hang like a bat and bop to music. Very funny bird. You can read more about her at my husband's posts (CT Gull). 20180523_173313.thumb.jpg.72f46bfdf1a5dc821a8d1bff830c96b5.jpg

Edited by Deb Tegu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jayd said:

Thank you for the photos and post! If I may, Walmart sells "ALOE VERA Juice". Your baby should be sprayed heavily every 2-3 days. Thank you Rev Jayd

9 hours ago, Jayd said:

Thank you for the photos and post! If I may, Walmart sells "ALOE VERA Juice". Your baby should be sprayed heavily every 2-3 days. Thank you Rev Jayd

I actually have Aloe Vera juice for me. Problem is,  Dave tried to spray her with water and she got scared. Can I put it in her water or won't that help? Thanks for your help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1