NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Small Chip Towards the Tip of Beak

Hi all, new member here!

I have a 15 year old African Grey and yesterday I noticed she has chipped one side of the tip of her beak off. She has no problem eating, doesn't appear to be in pain and when given a cuttlefish bone she ripped it apart with no hesitation, she even nipped me haha. 

Anyway, this is the first time I have noticed this in the 13 years we have had her, will this grow back like normal? How long will this take if it does? Or will a vet visit be needed to re shape the beak, there was no bleeding involved it's just like part of the tip has come off with her playing or possibly a fall off her perch. 

As you can see by the images, it's really small but in all these years she has never (touch wood) had any health issues or needed a vet visit.

Any help would be great and would put my mind at ease, thanks a lot!

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're talking about the missing part on the very tip, that's definitely not an issue.   I will regularly dremel my problem birds past that point on their beaks safely, including one of my Greys.   If my Greys beak was that overgrown, I will dremel it but I'm not advising you to do the same.   You have to know what you're doing.

Edited by SRSeedBurners
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1