NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New member with egg laying African grey.

Greetings and welcome to the Grey Forums! How long have you had this sweet lady? You can either leave the eggs until she ignores them or take them away as soon as she leaves them. They will rot after approximately 20 days so it is best to remove them before then. Once again, welcome.

• Like 1

Hello Roger and welcome to our family. I would advise leaving the eggs with her, if you take them away she may only lay more to replace them and that could deplete her calcium stores. She may be interested in them and sit on them but that is fine, you can remove them after several weeks when she shows disinterest in them. Personally my grey has never laid an egg though she is a dna'd female but my sun conure has and I leave them with her until she tires of them then I remove one at a time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have 20 year old re-homed Lilac headed amazon who has laid eggs.  The advice from the late Dave007 was to leave them alone until  the zon lost interest. 

If you remove them too quickly your parrot might just lay more which is not  a healthy idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave007 egg post

Someone else here just had had this happen to their grey only a few days ago. The person was equally in the dark about what was going on and what to do about it.

I can tell you that periodically this will happen to a mature female grey who has never mated before. Normally, there's nothing to worry about. To much over attention to this situation will make the bird edgy and uncomfortable. More than likely, she will lay some more eggs and that's not unusual. A congo grey's incubation period is 28 to 32 days. Anyeggs that are there should be left alone until that amount of time has passed. Nature will her that the eggs are infertile and she'll spend much less time with them to the point of ignoring them. That'll be the time to take out the eggs and discard them. If the eggs are taken out immediately, it will only cause the grey to create new ones which you don't wanna do. More than likely it won't happen again or it might happen again in the future. The cause of this to happen is an over abundent hormonal period. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. Continue with the same foods. Don't start moving things around in the cage and most importantly, don't make a big fuss over what she's doing. Peeks here and there will tell you everything you want to know. Get a calendar and mark off the day you saw the first egg. Let 30 days go by or when your grey shows no interest in the eggs. Your biird might start eating less and then eat a lot. Not to worry, it's normal. The bird won't starve itself.

The only time to really worry is when a person has a DNAd guaranteed male and he lays an egg. That type of bird is classified as one who has an identity problem and psychiatrics are then implemented.

• Like 2