NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Blessed with 2 Greys

Jet

My daughter and I have been blessed with two African greys. They are 18 and 16 years old. Both came from the same owner who raised them since they were babies. The male was very friendly when we meet him at his home. The female was very shy!  Three weeks later, she has become a very loving bird!  She loves interactions, stepping up and will even walk the house looking for us. She talks and talks!  

He has changed and refuses to step up. When we approach him, he fluffs his feathers, puts his head down and will lunge to bite if pushed. This makes going into his travel cage very difficult.  He will take treats and food from our hands.  If he flies to the floor he will step up without any hesitation.  

Any advice?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

:) Wow!! Thank you for giving these babies a new forever home!! just from your attitude, i can tell they are in good hands!! Be patient..this is normal in many cases...as I have said before, Rome didn't pop up overnight....:P

(PHOTOS, PHOTOS PHOTOSB|)

Edited by Jayd
added
  • Like 3

If he steps up from the floor i t`s just a mater of time and he will step up from any place.

Remember grey time is slow motion and they need to build a relationship with you.

It sounds like they had a good life in their old home so I believe this will continue with you.

Good Luck

Edited by Ray P
  • Like 4

It is so interesting!  He is actually a she, according to the vet!  So she watches me endlessly and if I sit down in my chair next to the cage, she will move onto the gate protecting her cage.  This puts her very close to me!  Slowly she inches her way closer to me, especially if I pretend like I don’t see her!!! She tops about 1 foot from me, puffs up, pulls one leg under and takes a nap!  I can not move closer to her yet but I can talk to her.  I’m on Grey time now!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, he's just being cautious, especially since he's now decided to step up.   Our Huey took about three months before he started to trust us.  Now he bites when we want to put him down and he still wants more dancing (bouncing around).   That's a beautiful boy there ❤️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1