NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Extreme Violent Senegal Parrot

Good Day Everyone

I have joined GreyForums because I am in a very difficult situation and dont know what to do from here. First of all I would like to say that I have 15 parrots, and we have built a huge aviary so that each one may have huge space to fly and play. Much more space than I could provide with store-bought cages, however they are all tame and hand-reared by me (with the exception of a few rescued Greys). My problem at the moment is my female senegal parrot. I have handreared her from the age of three weeks, and she is 6 years old now. Over the years she has shown abnormal behaviour where she snaps and tries to kill another, bird or human, and it has been getting worse with time. She goes for the jugular, or the eyes without being provoked and for no apparent reason. And then the next minute she is normal again. I have seen this behaviour before but not as extreme with other birds as I am an avian behaviorist, and I feel that I have tried everything to help her. From supplements, veterinery care, reassurance, scheduled times, food, treats, toys. But she continues to grow worse. This past week she killed my female ringneck. She found a way to squeeze through a gap in the mesh not more than 1,5 cm in length and width, and she flew in from above to get my female ringneck in her eye and tried to take her head off. She had no other wounds on her body, just this one. It was absolutely horrific to walk in on her little body like this, and the senegal standing over her... And the senegal has it out for the other birds. She has tried to kill one of the pionus by taking out her stomach. I had to intervene with my hands as it happened so fast. She has tried to kill the other male indian ringneck to the point where she took out one of his ears, a portion of his throat, and his wing. He had to go for reconstructive surgery for his throat and wing, and it was a miracle that he survived but he can never fly again. She removed too much of his wing and it wasnt able to heal. And she tried to kill my cockatoo, even my greys are terrified of her. I believe that they can sense when another animal is not stable, as I have had many rescues over they years. This behaviour has occurred since she was a baby, and I am in absolute grief over losing my female ringneck and knowing that the others are in constant danger and that she has a serious mental disorder. I dont know what to do anymore, and am considering giving her to a good home. My husband and I have found such a place. But this is such a difficult decision for me as I am trying to balance my emotions for her versus the need to protect all my other birds. I cannot seem to find a way around keeping her and protecting the others. Over the years she has has found opportunities when maybe a feeding bowl wasnt clipped in from the outside, or the mesh had a small gap in it, or maybe when feeding or cleaning bowls. And I shudder to think that if I dont act now and something had to happen to any other birds over time, knowing that I could've prevented it... I just wanted to know if anyone has any understanding on mental disorders treatment for birds, or perhaps any suggestions? My family believes that both her and her partner were inbred as they both display this abnormal behaviour and were both adopted from the same breeder who has proven not to be a good over the years. I rescued one of my greys from him because he kept her in a cage in a room separate from the house for three years in complete solitude, only giving her basic sunflower seeds and water when he had to. Needless to say, she had some serious behavioural issues. And this I realised too late, after already having adopted and raised both senegals long before.

Thank you so much for hearing me out

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thank you so much for joining the Forum..We would love to hear your  about your flock and see photos..With your Senegal, I'm going to do some research. For now I would put the fid in it's own cage, away from the others birds...

• Like 2

You might talk to your vet about trying Haloperidol.   I have a bird that is on it.  I hate using meds on birds but with my guy, if I don't use it, he'll tear his feet up enough that he'll get infections and eventually it will kill him.    We've also considered trying a prozac type med too but decided against it since what we use now is working.

• Like 2

Greetings, After researching the drugs mentioned, I recommend you research them yourself, You have decision  too choose from on what to do.......You could try Chamomile tea...

Edited by Jayd
corrected
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Senegals seem to be such great birds and flock well usually except at the hormonal times of year when they have been known to kill each other. We have some at the Sanctuary and we have to monitor them as all can be well for months then they single out a bird in the flock to gang up on I don't understand what triggers this behavior but your bird sounds like she has taken this to an extreme level. I wonder if she may have a hormonal malfunction? or if indeed she is one of those odd inexplicable killers? Total separation sounds like the best choice for the rest of your flock. Chamomile tea helps soothe an overactive or stresse3d bird but I have no idea how would affect her vicious cycle. Perhaps the Vet can recommend something like the Haloperidol.

• Like 1