NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey - Falling Issue

Gavin

Good Evening All,

Apologies if i have posted this in the wrong forum but i wonder if you can provide some advice before i book my grey into the vets.

I have a grey around 10 years olds and recently she has started falling from her perchs not all the time but sometimes she seems to stumble then falls to the bottom of her cage, i check her over well i try to but she quickly climbs back onto her perch whistleing away telling me to leave her alone. I have not had her long i had her passed to me by a family member who was not able to look after her anymore, i have spoken to them ad they say she used to do it but very rarly but im really concerned she is going to hurt herself. I have seen her fall between 2/3 times she is still very livly and very alert to her surroundings her food has not been changed and still remains on the same food she has always been, she has fruit daily but most of it ent up at the bottom of her cage as she dose not like them but really enjoys apples and grapes - non seed. im just wondering if any of you people have had simular issues like above that has been easly resolved. i am ooking at booking her into the avian vet asap just as a precation

Thank you all in advance

• Like 3

I have heard that lack of calcium can cause greys to be prone to falling off their perch, it is a good idea to have her checked out as soon as possible to see what is going on. I hope it is something that can be easily corrected and be sure to come back and let us know what is found out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome and please go to a vet as Judy suggested, I agree with Judy...A lack of D3 and  calcium are of major concern..Get your baby some sunshine and hard boil a egg, cut in half and feed it, egg shell and all. I personally wouldn't give  any supplement without a vets okay..

Edited by Jayd
  • Like 2

Hello all,

thanks very much for all your feedback.

my parrot is booked into see the avian vet this Friday as that’s the only date they have available. As for the calcium I do add a pinch of supliment to her food calcium/vitamins at lest one a week when her food is changed. I have been advised to try her on some Harrison high potency pellets as well as her low sunflower seed mix. We noticed she was seems to be falling more when we had fresh flowers in the same room as her so I lowered all her perches for the time being she really wasn’t happy and also removed the fresh flowers from the room since then she has not fell fell so hopefully we may have found the cause possabily touch wood however I think it’s still best to see the vet just to be safe. They also mentioned it could be possible that her wings have been clipped but I haven’t had these done but the previous owner could have but I have noticed she don’t try and fly much when she is out of the cage. If she has had her wings clipped will these grow back ? Could this be causeing her to fall off her perches as she seems to just loose her balance.  

• Like 2

On 19/03/2018 at 6:04 AM, Jayd said:

Welcome and please go to a vet as Judy suggested, I agree with Judy...A lack of D3 and  calcium are of major concern..Get your baby some sunshine and hard boil a egg, cut in half and feed it, egg shell and all. I personally wouldn't give  any supplement without a vets okay..

Thanks very much for that I’ll stop the vitamin supliment for the time being and try your sugestion with a hard boiled egg thank you 😊 

• Like 1

xDThat's great!! Clipping shouldn't be a problem. Keep up the good work! Included is a portion of our main diet. This is all healthy and "Volkman's Large Hookbill [Saffron]" is really good for them and has no sunflower seeds. We don't feed pellets but a lot of people like Harrison high potency pellets .

"Greetings, (Maggie (Spock) writing for Jay)... If I may, We feed mainly "Volkman's Large Hookbill [Saffron], There are many good foods out there. Over the years we have fed our fids many different forms of food, please check some of our past posts. An excellent pellet is "Harrison's". We still feed our fids a warm dinner which is usually some type of veggies, warm sweet potatoes, rice, pasta, chicken, chicken bones with meat, scrambled egg, etc. (you get the idea :D) They also eat off of Jay's plate (not mine LOL what I eat might not agree with them LOL) like Cheerios, Bran flakes, quinoa with kale (cooked), kale slushes, brown rice with swiss chard and tofu, fish, salmon, cod, halibut (bites), and their favorite, Tuna sandwich on 12 grain bread (LOL)...We make sure they have non-colored pellets, only vet-ordered supplements, no added salt, salt-free, no added sugar, no monkey nuts, (ONLY human grade roasted unsalted nuts). Concerning peanuts, we do not serve them too often because of high cholesterol and fat content. Sunflower seeds....very, very, very few...they are fattening and addictive...they are excellent for a training treat (3-4 a day). Pistachios (roasted no-salt) are an occasional great treat. Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) occasionally (once a week) are good because they bind good vitamins from the parrot. Walnuts are excellent and three almonds a day will turn your parrot into an Einstein" (Post from BIRD FOOD)

• Like 1