NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Well my parrot’s condition ,(film attached to the post)

Erfan

Hello guys , it’s been 31 days i guess , and this i my Parrot’s behavior 

I can’t clean his cage properly , when he’s reacting like this.

What do you think guys ?

And since he was afraid of his toy , i put him far away somewhere he can see it , and i put it  closer and  closer everyday , until he  gets use to it . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh my!  Talk to your grey when you enter the room.   Tell him what you are doing.  I would dim the lights and detach the bottom of the cage to clean it.  Hand out pieces of apple through the wires.  Trust is the first thing you must earn and hand feeding a favorite food  is a great way to do this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh poor baby.  He's terrified of humans.  So far they haven't been good to him, and right now he doesn't know you're any different.  I agree you should be talking to him gently while you approach the cage to get him used to the sound of your voice.  Sit in that brown armchair and just talk to him, read to him.  Having seen him now I think you should spend as much time as you can with him.  When you have to be out of the room, leave a radio on very low so he gets used to some ambient noise.  I know your intentions are good, but I hate the industry that pulled this baby from his home and dropped him in among humans.  I hope you've signed on for the long haul because it could take months just for the fear screaming to stop and years before you're able to handle him.  I wish I had more optimistic news for you, but he's terrified and time is the only thing that's going to help.  We're here for support as you go along on this journey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for posting this video...It clears up so much, this poor baby was improperly treated early on. He could have been physically abused or possibly he is a breeder. (Explain this later). This situation will take a long time...there are a couple ways you might handle this. You can do as was suggested by Luvparrots and Acapella or you can do the exact opposite. Basically ignore him when cleaning his cage and let him come to you.  You can get him a companion...it doesn't have to be another Grey, a small Conure is a possibility and put them in a room together out of their cages. Any of these suggestions could take years with little change. They are ALL equally GREAT!

What is a breeder? A breeder is a Grey in the wild that never has anything to do with humans. As far as they are concerned, their whole purpose is to breed. Most Greys, after breeding once, turn this way, having nothing more to do with humans. This also is a possibility.

You need the patience of Job...your baby is going to need all the love and understanding that you can give. You also need to be aware that he may never be more than a captive bird (I am sorry), but he will know your love and will repay you with love in his own way.

I would like you to try something, if you would. Get some chamomile tea and in the mornings, replace his water with a weak chamomile tea to start with and then switch it out for water after a few hours.

When you approach his cage to put something in it, don't do it cautiously, just walk up, change and then walk away quickly as if nothing happened to show him that you are not sticking around or have plans to hurt him. This, too, will get him used to this. Don't stand around the cage when you are done...You want to show him that he is part of the family, not the centerpiece. In a sense, you are basically have to ignore him and just let him fit in as he chooses to. Each day, by ignoring him, he will require more and more of your attention. We do not know how much baggage he has or what stories he has not told us yet. You might want to step aside and have someone of the opposite sex do as you are doing. He may have a per-determined feeling toward a certain sex.

In our years of taking care of taking in rescue and abused parrots, we had a Cockatoo that would have NOTHING to do with me and would only calm down when Maggie, my wife, approached her and cleaned, etc. More recently, we had Pistachio and Buddy (a Ringneck and a Conure both who recently flew over the Rainbow Bridge), who for many years would act this way and cower when Maggie had to clean and change their cage and bowls. After many years, they would let Maggie near them to clean and change without cowering or attacking and Pistachio let Maggie handle him occasionally. Love ya

Edited by Jayd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Luvparrots said:

Oh my!  Talk to your grey when you enter the room.   Tell him what you are doing.  I would dim the lights and detach the bottom of the cage to clean it.  Hand out pieces of apple through the wires.  Trust is the first thing you must earn and hand feeding a favorite food  is a great way to do this.

Well usually I talk  to him while approaching but this time i was filming .

about hand feeding I haven’t tried it , should i try ? Because actually I don’t expect him  to come and take a sunflower seed from my hand when he is  terrified like this 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Acappella said:

Oh poor baby.  He's terrified of humans.  So far they haven't been good to him, and right now he doesn't know you're any different.  I agree you should be talking to him gently while you approach the cage to get him used to the sound of your voice.  Sit in that brown armchair and just talk to him, read to him.  Having seen him now I think you should spend as much time as you can with him.  When you have to be out of the room, leave a radio on very low so he gets used to some ambient noise.  I know your intentions are good, but I hate the industry that pulled this baby from his home and dropped him in among humans.  I hope you've signed on for the long haul because it could take months just for the fear screaming to stop and years before you're able to handle him.  I wish I had more optimistic news for you, but he's terrified and time is the only thing that's going to help.  We're here for support as you go along on this journey.

They smuggle them from Africa:(  , and I’m sure if I hadn’t bought him he would  stay  in petstore maybe for ever. 

When i  sit in that brown chair  he screams should I ignore him ? 

• Like 2

In all the years and with all the parrots that have come across our paths, the hardest thing besides losing one is to not being able to communicate with one. To paraphrase, it's a long and winding road...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jayd said:

Thank you for posting this video...It clears up so much, this poor baby was improperly treated early on. He could have been physically abused or possibly he is a breeder. (Explain this later). This situation will take a long time...there are a couple ways you might handle this. You can do as was suggested by Luvparrots and Acapella or you can do the exact opposite. Basically ignore him when cleaning his cage and let him come to you.  You can get him a companion...it doesn't have to be another Grey, a small Conure is a possibility and put them in a room together out of their cages. Any of these suggestions could take years with little change. They are ALL equally GREAT!

What is a breeder? A breeder is a Grey in the wild that never has anything to do with humans. As far as they are concerned, their whole purpose is to breed. Most Greys, after breeding once, turn this way, having nothing more to do with humans. This also is a possibility.

You need the patience of Job...your baby is going to need all the love and understanding that you can give. You also need to be aware that he may never be more than a captive bird (I am sorry), but he will know your love and will repay you with love in his own way.

I would like you to try something, if you would. Get some chamomile tea and in the mornings, replace his water with a weak chamomile tea to start with and then switch it out for water after a few hours.

When you approach his cage to put something in it, don't do it cautiously, just walk up, change and then walk away quickly as if nothing happened to show him that you are not sticking around or have plans to hurt him. This, too, will get him used to this. Don't stand around the cage when you are done...You want to show him that he is part of the family, not the centerpiece. In a sense, you are basically have to ignore him and just let him fit in as he chooses to. Each day, by ignoring him, he will require more and more of your attention. We do not know how much baggage he has or what stories he has not told us yet. You might want to step aside and have someone of the opposite sex do as you are doing. He may have a per-determined feeling toward a certain sex.

In our years of taking care of taking in rescue and abused parrots, we had a Cockatoo that would have NOTHING to do with me and would only calm down when Maggie, my wife, approached her and cleaned, etc. More recently, we had Pistachio and Buddy (a Ringneck and a Conure both who recently flew over the Rainbow Bridge), who for many years would act this way and cower when Maggie had to clean and change their cage and bowls. After many years, they would let Maggie near them to clean and change without cowering or attacking and Pistachio let Maggie handle him occasionally. Love ya

Thank you , I’ll do my best , and fortunately chamomile is widely available in my region ( asia ) , so I’ll definitely do it 

Thank you guys for your support and tips and guidance, 

• Like 1

I wasn't blaming you for the capturing of wild birds, I can tell your heart is in the right place.  I noticed he only started screaming when you got quite close to the cage.  Can you move the chair to just outside the range where he starts with the screaming?  The goal is to get him used to your voice and your presence, then gradually move closer, maybe an inch at a time.  You're right, he's not going to take food from your hand right now, but it can't hurt for him to see you putting good things in his food dish.  Chop up a slice of apple, put in an almond or some walnut pieces.  Those are my Dorians favourites.  Bring your meals and eat by the cage, letting him see you eating.  When you have to clean the cage or change the food and water dishes just do it as quickly as possible, talking to him calmly the whole time.  

Guys, do you think Rescue Remedy would do any good in this situation?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Erfan, Acappella, and to all who are following this thread. In the end, we have to weight all info we receive, and decide what action we feel is the best...It's our decision and ours alone...This is solely my option...I personal don't use "supplements" or patent Cure-all's" even if they're natural safe ingredients... Why? sometimes when two or more ingredients are combined, they become detrimental to each other and cause bad reactions......

By all means, if you feel like you would like to try " Rescue Remedy" please do so, Whatever choices you make we all know that it is in the best interests of your baby.

Edited by Jayd
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys for answering ,I really appreciate your help . 

What is rescue remedy ? I googled it and it was available on Amazon and other websites but I can’t order because actually they don’t support my country ( political problems:/ and people are always the victim) . So i was talking about rescue remedy, what is it ? Because I’m trying to find a exact word in my language to actually means this word . 

• Like 2

It's a herbal liquid that some members here have used successfully with nervous/plucking birds.  It seems to calm them a little.  No one here has used it on a wild caught bird though, that's why I was asking for some other members thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

According to your tips and help  i came to the conclusion these are what I should do 

1.Talk to him everytime. 

2. Spend a lot of time being next to him and let him know that im here.

3. Eeat food next to him. 

4.read a book or something loudly 

5.Always some background noise in order he gets use to it.

6. Put his favorite foods in his cage but not so much . 

7. Chamomile tea :)  In the morning for 3h 

I think that’s it if there’s something that i miss plz tell me. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Acappella said:

It's a herbal liquid that some members here have used successfully with nervous/plucking birds.  It seems to calm them a little.  No one here has used it on a wild caught bird though, that's why I was asking for some other members thoughts.

Interesting , never heard of it 

maybe it’s something like a natural sedative. 

• Like 1

You don't have to read loudly, just a regular, soothing tone of voice will do.  Background noise like music only during the day.  Night time should be quiet and dark.  If you do these things and don't give up he may start to figure out that you're not going to hurt him.  That's a good first step.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Acappella said:

You don't have to read loudly, just a regular, soothing tone of voice will do.  Background noise like music only during the day.  Night time should be quiet and dark.  If you do these things and don't give up he may start to figure out that you're not going to hurt him.  That's a good first step.

Thanks 🙏 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jayd said:

:)If you use Rescue Remedy or something like it, I would advise not using  Chamomile tea. it could be too much...B|

Love-ya all

Well I didn’t even know such things exists actually::)) , but certainly i ll give him chamomile tea. 

thank you 🙏

• Like 2

:DPlease, just because I don't like something or wouldn't use it myself, doesn't mean it is not any good. As some of you know, I don't like using outside influences, especially when it comes to chemically-altering ingredients. I will give you an example: Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are great for our birds and loaded with nutrients. But they bond with other chemicals in the blood and deplete them so, you don't feed as much chickpeas as you would other beans. Another example: I am on Plavix, a blood thinner, and I can't eat grapefruit. The same thing, it makes the Plavix less effective. To sum it up, always research the researcher...B|

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Timbersmom said:

Erfan, have you tried whistling with him or to him? That was a great help when Timber was new to my house and afraid of me.

I whistle back when he whistles but sometimes he answers  back with whistling and sometimes he screams exactly like the video when i was about  approaching. ( not continuously) 

• Like 2

Well, keep whistling! Try whistling when he doesn't do it first and see if he will respond.  That was one of the first ways Timber and I established communication and I think it helped a lot.  The little things are often what makes the difference in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a work in progress and will take time, you do have to feed and give water to him so being close is unavoidable but do so slowly and talk softly as you do it. Once you have done the necessary things then back off to where he will settle down some and carry on a conversation with him in a gently voice. I know this seems like it is taking forever but grey time is slow and trust must be earned, its never rushed or it will backfire on you. Just take it slow and easy and soon you will be able to do things for him without the growling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3