NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Soon to be new owner

Hello everyone! I've browsed these forums long enough...so I joined! My wife and I will be adopting a 6 year old female CAF. Her name is Bella, she is coming to us with everything from her previous owner..cage, travel cage, toys, her diet, UV light, ect. The only thing I'll need or build is a mobile perch for her.

We have no kids but do have 3 dogs, a very fat cat, 13ft Burmese python(own room in the basement) and a tegu. We have bird experience but never with a grey. We plan on letting Bella have a spare room upstairs to her self. Now a couple questions...

When we first bring her home, should her cage go in her room? Or a family room so she can socialize?

I know she's going to be in shock a bit from the move. How long should we give her before simply opening her cage and letting her explore?

After she gets settled in, I'd like to keep her cage open 24/7. Again she'll have her own room and it will be shut at all times when she is in there. Good idea? Bad idea? I know I'll have to plug the wall sockets but I have a solution for that already. 

I know I'll have more questions but I should get back to work now lol. Hope to hear from some of you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

:D Greetings and welcome to the Grey Lounge...

37 minutes ago, Rowland said:

Her name is Bella, she is coming to us with everything from her previous owner..cage, travel cage, toys, her diet, UV light, ect.

....including her baggage which at this point you really don't know how much baggage she has. Re-homing for a Grey is extremely life-changing. You almost have to start from anew. I praise you for your efforts. A Grey is usually the head of the group or flock. They don't have an alpha male but they do have a leader of each group and each group consists of one or more families. With your large group, this could pose an identity problem so I don't like to see a Grey in a room by themselves. This could potentially cause social and psychological problems so I would recommend if you are going to put Bella in a room by herself, you might consider getting her a female partner. A possible problem that you need to consider is that each of your pets can be deadly to a Grey but with your experience, I don't see any problems.

When you bring her home, start treating her the same as you would later on...just don't push her, just be a little slower and more forgiving. If she has her own room, leave the cage door open 24/7...no problem. Of all the parrots, our beloved Greys have the most psychological and social problems. Some Greys are extremely social and others can be antisocial. If she is in her own room, I would suggest a radio or TV. Under the right conditions, they can intermingle with other pets. You have to remember, after touching or holding the Tegu and python, you need to wash and change clothing etc. before handling your Grey to prevent cross-contamination.

Thanks and welcome...Jayd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much! Our plan is to have a few stands placed in the family room, dining room, bedroom, bathroom and sun room to have her out with us as much as possible. I kind of want her room to be mainly for security and sleep.

Is this good or bad?

• Like 3

Thanks. About the other pets, well the dogs and cat...I don't plan on introducing them right off. Luckily they are all "older" and have been with us since they were weaned.

Agree with you 100% about washing hands after handling the snake and lizard. It's been a practice in our house for 12 years of owning reptiles, specifically large breed pythons.

• Like 3

Her wings are clipped. Her current owner says it's been about 6 months since she has had it done. I don't plan on clipping her wings in the future either. Here are a couple pictures of Bella. We have another visit with her on Friday, can't wait!

IMG_02731.jpg

IMG_02741.jpg

• Like 5

Pretty girl! I agree with what Jayd said. Greys shouldn't be isolated away from their flock. They love to watch, observe, and eventually learn from you! So, if you can keep her primarily wherever you are, that will be ideal.

Take things very slow with her. They definitely take awhile to warm up to their new  humans.

• Like 4

If she's been clipped a long time she might be like my Dorian.  I let his wings grow out but he doesn't know what they're for.  He's dependent on mom taxi to take him everywhere, unless he gets startled off his perch and he goes flying.  I hope they let your girl fledge before they clipped.  She is a beautiful grey.  How long until you bing her home for good?

• Like 3

We are bringing her home in May with visits in between. I take 2 weeks off every May to open our pool and get the yard summer ready. I figure that would be perfect for her to come home to lots of attention and socialization. Her current owners are friends of ours and are just a few miles away...luckily. 

• Like 3

On 3/8/2018 at 3:03 AM, Greytness said:

Pretty girl! I agree with what Jayd said. Greys shouldn't be isolated away from their flock. They love to watch, observe, and eventually learn from you! So, if you can keep her primarily wherever you are, that will be ideal.

Take things very slow with her. They definitely take awhile to warm up to their new  humans.

I couldn’t agree more, they hate being isolated from the family, that could cause plucking, so be careful with that. Better to keep her in her cage in the family room to start so she gets used to the family and sounds of the home. 

• Like 3

Hello Rowland and welcome to our family. You have been given great advice and I commend you for researching before bringing a grey into your life and thank you for giving her a new forever home. I won't add much more  but am glad to hear you will leave her flighted, she is beautiful and I know you can't wait to bring her home. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Acappella said:

If you're worried the family room will be too noisy for sleep you can always put a small sleep cage in another room where she can get 10-12 hours of quiet dark time for sleep.

She is coming with a travel cage. Will that be alright  for her to sleep in?

• Like 3

Hello! We've had a couple more visits with Bella. She seems to be gaining more trust in me specifically. I got kissed quite a few times lol. One thing we'll have to work is hand/arm training. She is a shoulder bird for sure...which isn't a big problem for me but when the niece and nephew are over I'd like for her to stay on their hand or arm. I wouldn't want the initial "freak out" from either of them. 

• Like 3

Lovely bird, do look into bird proofing your home. No nonstick cookware, not pots of hot liquid without lids, no candle burning and don't spray household products in her area. Move slowly talk to her often, sing and enjoy the new world she will slowly open the door to for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1