NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Working Birds

neoow

I was having a conversation with colleagues about Alfie earlier this week. My boss also has an African Grey parrot and he knows Alfie is at home all day on his own whilst I work. So he turned round and asked "why don't you bring him to work with you?". I said that I wish I could but didn't think I'd be allowed. This prompted a discussion with some colleagues who were in the office at the time and they all said they wouldn't mind. My boss told me to seek the opinions of my other colleagues, which I did. None are allergic and none would have a problem with Alfie coming in to work with me. However, it still needed to be run by the higher ups and health and safety etc... and that's where the idea was squished. It's a no pet workplace. Only guide dogs and therapy dogs/pets allowed.

I figured that would be the case so I wasn't too bothered by it. The thought of Alfie being able to come into work with me was a fun idea whilst it lasted and sparked quite a few humorous conversations around the office!

Does anyone here take their birds (or any other pets) into work with them?

• Like 2

I would love to but the office building we're in has a no pets policy.   I have a 'keep your nasty children away from me policy" but it keeps getting broken.

Which reminds me of an incident in Lowes today:  two lowes chimps saw me wheeling the cart around with Greycie sitting on the end of it having her usual fun scooting around the store.   I overheard one of them: "look that dude has a parrot riding on the buggy" then the other dude "great now we're going to have to pick up bird shit all over the store".   I promptly turned around and confronted.  Told them my Grey is trained to poop on command (she is as long as she has a fresh bomb loaded).  I told them I pottied her in the parking lot before I came in (my habit so I don't have to deal with a potty in the store).    Then I told him I can't stand everyone's f'n kids but I don't see you keeping them little shits out of the store. 

Edited by SRSeedBurners
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Timbersmom said:

"They" say it isn't difficult to get a letter from your doc saying your bird/cat/whatever is a service animal for your emotional health.  I have friends who did that so their cat could fly in the cabin with the on a trip to Africa.  Might be worth a try ;)

My daughters roommate did the same thing with her cat to get around the apartments no-pet policy.  Apparently there is an online service that will do it - no doctor needed.  It worked for her too. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, SRSeedBurners said:

My daughters roommate did the same thing with her cat to get around the apartments no-pet policy.  Apparently there is an online service that will do it - no doctor needed.  It worked for her too. 

7 hours ago, Timbersmom said:

"They" say it isn't difficult to get a letter from your doc saying your bird/cat/whatever is a service animal for your emotional health.  I have friends who did that so their cat could fly in the cabin with the on a trip to Africa.  Might be worth a try ;)

Interesting. Not sure if that would work over here or at my workplace.

I'm not going to kick up a fuss about it or force the issue as I figured I wouldn't be allowed which is why it had never come up before. I was actually surprised by how receptive my co-workers were about the idea, I figured someone would have an allergy or not like birds etc. But everyone seemed quite amused by the idea. The only concern from one colleague was whether there would be too much noise when making phonecalls etc- but Alfie is pretty quiet compared to some birds, especially when others are in the room. He may make the odd noise but I think he would mostly sit and watch the world go by.

54 minutes ago, Greywings said:

I used to bring my Irish Wolfhound a tabby cat, an Amazon and a dwarf rabbit every day but then it was my grooming shop.

I guess it's easy when you own/run the place! xD

• Like 1