NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chickens and Parrots

Giannine

I have about 30 chickens running the place and some of them get into the aviary where my birds stay. I also have 5 silkie chickens that are considered the after hours aviary cleanup crew. No problems so far.

That is what we got—Silkies:D Were your chickens vaccinated? I am assuming mine weren't since the guy I bought them from recommended I buy medicated feed for them

I have no idea if mine were vaccinated or not. When they come vaccinated, that means vaccinated against Mareck's disease. Chickens are particularly susceptible to it. I've never heard of it affecting parrots.

Medicated feed is for different issues. They've almost stopped selling it everywhere that I buy feed. You don't need it if you keep the chicks living area clean and don't let them mire in their own poop for days on end.

It says that the medicated food is to help the chicks build up immunity to coccidiosis which is apparently everywhere in the environment so the medicated food acts as a preventative. Really, it just help them build resistance. They do offer a vaccine for coccidiosis so if chicks receive that, feeding the medicated feed will cancel out the vaccine effect. I did read that medicated feed is not necessary, especially if you have a small number of chicks as opposed to hundreds or thousands, in which case, they would be at greater risk because of a likely less clean environment.

Yes - Coccidiosis. I had forgotten what the medicated feed was for. I don't think you need it if you have just a few chicks and you take care of their living area. In 20 years of raising poultry here I've only ever had issues with Cocci once. 2-3 years ago it started raining here and wouldn't stop. I had just bought 30 young chicks and had them in my regular grow out pens. When it started raining non-stop I was forced to move them inside the main chicken house and fenced off a small corner so the big ones wouldn't kill them. Like I mentioned earlier, they've pretty much stopped selling medicated chick feed, I don't know why. I really needed it then because with the cramped conditions and high humidity and just wet nasty everywhere, Cocci got hold in my flock of little ones and wiped out a good 1/3 of them.

Other than that, I've never had an issue with it. Mine get to go out and wander when we're home and their grow out pens are large enough that cleanliness isn't an issue.

Here's Tinkerbell tending to our flock just this morning! Usually GreycieMae gets to go do the chickens and pigeons but today was Tinky's turn.

TinkysFlock01.jpg

TinkysFlock02.jpg

Wow, that's tinker bell? You need more flock to train!

Yep, that's the lil Tinkerbell. I forgot how much I love conures until this little girl came along. It's weird how it's worked out. Tinkerbell and GreycieMae both claim me as their human slave. GreycieMae tolerates Tinky, only a stab at her tail feathers or maybe chase her off my shoulder to keep Tinky remembering who's large and in charge. Tinky on the other hand gives GreycieMae a wide berth but will fight to the death any of the other birds that try to get my attention. She even goes after Rio, the bird with the worst bite in the house.

It's coming up on 1 year (~Sep 15th) since I've had the lil sweety.

• 6 months later...