NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Moving from seeds to pellets

Q9550

Hi All,

Its been a while since i posted here. Been lurking in the shadows...

This past weekend i went out to get some new food for my little girl Nonesense. I picked up her usual seed mix but next to it was the pellets. We have tried to switch her diet in the past with much resistance and no luck lol. She just will not eat anything unless it has sunflower seeds or peanuts in it. Peanuts are her absolute favorite and she will let us know when she wants one by shouting out "Nonesense peeeeeeanut" ,which is all the time!!!

Anyway, I started giving her the pellets in her main bowl with a tablespoon of seeds and a squirt of Red Palm Oil every morning. When i get home from work the seeds are gone and the pellets have been crushed into a fine powder.

So it got me wondering if shes really eating the pellets. So Tuesday afternoon i threw away the dust from the morning feed and i dropped in a tablespoon of pellets and put that in her cage.

She immediately made her way down to the feed bowl looking rather excited and when she gets to the bowl she picks up a pellet in her talons and starts crushing it with her beak. She does this till all the pellets have become powder and then she retreats to her favorite perch.

At this point i feel as if i just bought her a very expensive toy lol :D

If she is taking the time to crush the pellets than she is trying them.

there are different size pellets for your birds depending on their size.

Myself I stay away from the colored ones because they are dyed and the color is of no value.

I would say she is eating them. All of our birds leave a fine powder behind when they eat their pellets. I use those 'seed corrals' to put their pellets in and eventually there is nothing but poweder left. I leave that in place and they eventually will eat the powder too. Less waste this way. We feed Harrisons pellets and I've switched to the 'fine' size because when they would crack the bigger ones, the pellet parts would fly all over the place creating waste and a mess.

I wish Alfie would eat his pellets. I've been trying him on harrisons recently and he's not interested. I've been sprinkling them on his food, hiding them in his food, giving him pellets with only a few seeds. He always eats round them... or throws them out completely.

On the plus side- he is getting a bit more adventurous with his fruit and veggies these days. He ate a sugar snap pea at my mum's house and normally he wouldn't touch those. I even managed to get him to take a bite out of some brocoli. Not sure he approved of it... but at least he took a chunk out of it rather than just throwing it away!

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great comments.

I'm convinced she is now definitely eating the pellets. Her droppings confirm this. It has changed from greenish to brown. I have read online that seeds will give a greenish color vs pellets which is brown.

@neoow I noticed she became a bit more interested in the pellets after i started adding the red palm oil to them. At first it was straight pellets but she wouldn't go near them. So i used her love of peanuts as an advantage. I would open a nut and squirt just a tiny drop of RPO on it and then give it to her(was done in front of her so she sees the bottle). I knew she would never reject the peanut NO MATTER WHAT so this allowed her to taste the RPO and get use to it. I then started with the pellets and would squirt a tiny bit on a peanut, then 1 full squirt into her feed bowl with pellets, mix well and then show her the peanut goes into the bowl. This made her hunt for the peanut while tasting the pellets + RPO. The rest is history lol.

@SterlingSL i usually add some hot water to the remaining dust and mix in some seeds or some veggies. She enjoys that it seems. My theory is that if it doesn't go flying out the cage she enjoys it lol