NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Does anyone make Chop?

murfchck

I always have chop on hand for the fiddo's. Mine will vary with what is in it but the staples are kale, carrots, red peppers, broccoli and dandelions. I also add oats to soak up the moisture. From there I will add whatever veggies are in season. I also add fresh ginger when I can. How do you make yours? This is a great way to start your babies on a healthy diet. Kane was the only one I have since she was a baby and I would always have this for her, now veggies are her favorite treat, the others pick and choose which is why my chop has so many different things in it, I want to make sure that everyone has something they love in it!

https://goo.gl/photos/iFF7zb2ba1xiQgpH9

I do, but if I put mine through a food processor, they won't eat it, so I spend quite a bit of time daily preparing it for them.

Kya is more picky than Gracie Lou, my Chihuahua waits patiently for his rejects. Gracie Lou will eat anything fresh.

My staples are kale, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, bananas, apple, (always apple - Kya never shuts up about apples) and I keep a bag of Oats Groats on hand to sprinkle on top. Occasionally, (about once or twice a week) I will cook whole grain pasta, and drizzle coconut oil on it, then add cayenne pepper and some other spices for a little flavor. And yes, I usually have to throw a few bits of apple in with it to get Kya interested.

It doesn't work for me to prepare a large batch and freeze portions. They won't touch it once it's frozen. And, they prefer it a bit on the warm side, so I always have to add something cooked, usually sweet potato.

My version is like chop but with larger chunks. I am so envious of those who can get away with batching and freezing it. The birds eat before we do most evenings.

I use a Ninja Master Prep Pro, which I love a lot. I usually make 4-6 wks & freeze it in 1-2 day portions that I leave to thaw in the fridge overnight.

Kya, have you tried putting it in the microwave just long enough to take the chill off, but not long enough to cook &/or to melt a bit of RPO?

I don't have staples, so much. I go w/the seasonal flow because I've found my guys start getting picky (literally) if I use the same ingredients m/t 2 batches running. I try to use about 1/2 greens, 1/2 everything else. That includes other veggies, fruits, pasta & grains.

Greens aren't their favs. Although broccoli or rabe is the exception. The first real food Phenix ate was broccoli buds in apple sauce. Otherwise, I rotate dandelions, chard, beet greens, turnip greens, kale.

Veggies are where I like to make the color & texture happen. Love the way Lisa's chop looks, well, yummy. Winter is long & cold in New England. So sometime I'll add some well boiled "big" beans, whether from a can or dried bean soup mix, too. They are on some toxic food lists because of the presence of hemaglutin in under cooked beans, though.

Fruits are generally limited to the drier types; apples, pears, cranberries, etc. I may use dried fruits, too, as long as they don't contain sulfides or sulphates.

Grains I usually use to mop up the juices so the chop freezes "drier". The icier the more damage it seems to do to the ingredients & the less likely the fids will be interested. Raw Bulgar wheat & quinoa work well.

I make large batches of peas, carrots, corn, spinach or Karl, rice or quinoa, some pasta, peppers, broccoli, stuff like that, mix it all together and freeze in small portions. I have never "chopped" but thinking I should try it..

Great Thread!

I hand chop every morning for my 10 fids the following: carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, baby swiss chard, kale, sweet potatoes, a grape, banana, pomegranate, red bell, blueberries, and then I throw in my home made birdie bread consisting of 9 different veggies blended in with a Harrison's 'flour base and more nutrient packed goodies.

I make chop when ever I have enough fresh ingredients. Mine often has a base of Kale, Carrots, beets (red or golden), sweet potato or pumpkin, radish, pomegranate, apple or applesauce, mango or papaya and when available some minced fresh Ginger and Tumeric. Sometimes I add Quinoa, spelt, oats and a handful of seed mix. Sprinkle with a little apple cider vinegar, coconut oil or red palm oil and feed out. Another idea to use any leftovers that have been frozen is to make an omelet or scrambled eggs with some chop stirred in and try feeding that to them still warm, sprinkle with Paprika or red pepper flakes for a more colorful presentation.

My chop, my beautiful chop. I was taking it out of the fridge and the lid came off and it dumped to the floor. So sad. On the bright side though i get to make more again tomorrow and you all have added so many options for us! I forgot that i also use beets and ginger and cilantro. Lol

Aww jeez!! Sounds like something I'd do ...okay I've done. lol But like you said, you're looking forward to making the next batch, at least. Also, now you have the big dawgs to help you clean it up. Or have the parrots "adjusted" their diets yet?