NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Light weight Travel/Sitter/Vacation Cage.

phangtonpower

I'm looking for a light weight cage for my cag for when I go on vacation. Bringing her with us isn't always an option. I live in Japan and most hotels wont allow pets. The closest boarding place is a 3 hour trip away and their boarding cages are really small, so our only option is to take her to my mother in laws place.

Here's is the thing. MIL and family are the only ones willing to watch her and are also scared of her, so she probably wont come out. Most cages they sell here are only about 20" wide, but most travel cages I have seen online in the US are about the same. They aren't really willing to stay at our house were she has 3' by 4' cage.

My only options are ordering a larger cage from the US, but I'm looking for something lighter and a little wider than 20", so shipping wont be crazy and so it would be easier to transport from my house to MIL's place.

We ordered our cage from the states. It was only $200, but after shipping, it came to $600. Still cheaper than anything here and a lot larger.

Have you tried the Japanese portal for Ebay? Maybe you can find something there that you won't have to have shipped half way round the world.

I have this model as one of my temp cages. It started out as a deck cage. Although some parts like the doors do need parrot-proofing it's light weight, but sturdy. Surprisingly good sized. And the best part about it is that it's collapsible. It sets up effortlessly. But its original shipping state was "flat" enough to store quite nicely in 4 big pcs not counting the perches & (optional) stand etc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26867&stc=1

PS the fid is photoshopped. It's not that big!

prevueCage.JPG

What about using a large dog crate for traveling? They are collapsible and you could store them easily when not in use. The tray in the bottom slides out, but is usually plastic so you might need to replace it with newspaper or whatever you normally use to line the bottom of the cages. And, you should be able to buy one of those locally, without worrying about shipping.

I have small travel cages for both of mine that we use to take them outside with us when we are working in the yard or just hanging out, but they are not large enough for a few days of not being allowed out of the cage. They would work great for overnight trips with us, because they would be allowed out in the hotel room.

What about using a large dog crate for traveling? They are collapsible and you could store them easily when not in use. The tray in the bottom slides out, but is usually plastic so you might need to replace it with newspaper or whatever you normally use to line the bottom of the cages. And, you should be able to buy one of those locally, without worrying about shipping.

I have small travel cages for both of mine that we use to take them outside with us when we are working in the yard or just hanging out, but they are not large enough for a few days of not being allowed out of the cage. They would work great for overnight trips with us, because they would be allowed out in the hotel room.

I already have a medium sized dog crate that she uses as her sleeping cage. It's not the collapsable kind, but one of those plastic ones, so not much light comes in. It's fine for sleep and trips, but I don't think she would be happy in it if she had to stay at the in laws for a good amount of time. The collapsible cage style ones I feel have the bar spacing too far.

I know bar spacing should be 3/4" to 1", but has anyone used anything wider?

I was also looking into ferret cages since they are usually a lot wider than bird cages.

Have you tried the Japanese portal for Ebay? Maybe you can find something there that you won't have to have shipped half way round the world.

I have this model as one of my temp cages. It started out as a deck cage. Although some parts like the doors do need parrot-proofing it's light weight, but sturdy. Surprisingly good sized. And the best part about it is that it's collapsible. It sets up effortlessly. But its original shipping state was "flat" enough to store quite nicely in 4 big pcs not counting the perches & (optional) stand etc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26867&stc=1

PS the fid is photoshopped. It's not that big!

I'm trying to find something locally. I found this one so far which is the largest cage I have found period.

http://www.shopcompamal.com/shop/item_detail?category_id=351230&item_id=2073378

Kind of pricey at 200 bucks. It's also made of chrome covered iron. Don't know if that would be an issue? I don't think it's collapsible either. I also think it's made for cockatiels, so I don't know if the door is big enough. Funny how the largest cage you can find here are for smaller birds.

These are the ones meant for Medium sized to large birds here.

http://www.shopcompamal.com/shop/item_detail?category_id=351230&item_id=1281084

I'm going to make the 3 hour trip next week to give it a look. If it's not that great, I can at least buy toys, so the trip wont be a complete waste.

Edited by phangtonpower

Oh absolutely. Toys are the best part of some trips.

The cage I showed wasn't actually billed as a collapsible cage. It is just a design that conveniently knocks down "flat" whenever I take it apart. There's the roof, floor grate & base. Then, the sides fold together. So I can keep it in the closet. When it's not being used, it's not taking up space. I do have to use quick links to secure things. But it's still much less vulnerable than my wire collapsible travel cages. Especially for my Grey. But I've long since given up on him. He's got a King's travel cage which even he can't get out of. And believe me, he's tried!

So, idk about this because of the translated pages. But does any of this help?

http://global.rakuten.com/en/category/204185/?sm=1&p=6

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=parrot+cage&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aparrot+cage

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90%E3%83%97%E3%83%AC%E3%83%93%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9A%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%80%91%E3%80%90%E9%B3%A5%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E3%80%91PrevuePet-%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%83%91%E3%83%AD%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8Black-Parrot-Cage-%EF%BC%91%EF%BC%92%EF%BC%95%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF/dp/B00BTA29XQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1493141785&sr=8-4&keywords=parrot+cage

Rakuten translation link didn't work for some reason. But there is a portal for Japan. You never know what they're going to have for sale or at what price. Good or bad. So may be worth Googling your way in so to speak.

Also good to remember that any painted cage should specify that it's safe for birds. The powder coating is specially formulated to eliminate the heavy metals & VOCs in normal paint because they're hazardous for birds. I don't think they use this same paint for any other cages.

I did have a very nice chrome plated cage. One of my favs. But I can't say if all chrome plating is bird safe or not.

Also, travel cages for dogs have a grill on the floor of the cage which has a large grid pattern under it. So I would worry that would allow a fid to chew apart the tray & escape or possibly injure himself trying.

A bird's travel cage has the tray under a grate to keep that from happening. However, most tend to have spring hooks. My little problem child picks these apart quite easily. So that's why I got the King's cage to travel & have a real cage as a temp cage for him.

Edited by birdhouse

Rakuten translation link didn't work for some reason. But there is a portal for Japan. You never know what they're going to have for sale or at what price. Good or bad. So may be worth Googling your way in so to speak.

Also good to remember that any painted cage should specify that it's safe for birds. The powder coating is specially formulated to eliminate the heavy metals & VOCs in normal paint because they're hazardous for birds. I don't think they use this same paint for any other cages.

I did have a very nice chrome plated cage. One of my favs. But I can't say if all chrome plating is bird safe or not.

Also, travel cages for dogs have a grill on the floor of the cage which has a large grid pattern under it. So I would worry that would allow a fid to chew apart the tray & escape or possibly injure himself trying.

A bird's travel cage has the tray under a grate to keep that from happening. However, most tend to have spring hooks. My little problem child picks these apart quite easily. So that's why I got the King's cage to travel & have a real cage as a temp cage for him.

I know I know rakuten quite well. did you see those prices though. Also one of the worst pages to try and navigate.

I got my cage from the states for about $600 shipped here. It is about 4 foot by 3 foot cage made of powder coated iron.

$400 for a 19" by 27" cage that my cag can bend the bars is a joke. Plus those are mostly the same brands as the links I provided. Japanese don\t label anything. And even calling will provide no answers. The link you provided on Rakuten shows all acrylic cages for winter that are meant to be heated.

According to others on here, heat and acrylic are a big no no.

Do you have a link to the cage you have? It would probably be cheaper after shipping than the ones we have here. Plus foldable.

Sorry but they don't make them any more. The Amazon cage I linked is kind of close. Heavy gauge wire which is solid & safe. Lighter weight than wrought iron for shipping & everyday handling. They don't knock down, though.

I thought that Amazon link was for a local vendor? It said the shipping was free.

Yes, Rakuten is total madness. I once posted about a jar of plain old Nutiva Red Palm Oil for 4 digits AND they didn't even pay freight. BUT if you're willing to dig thru the insanity you might also find some equally crazy good deals on the right day.

Sorry but they don't make them any more. The Amazon cage I linked is kind of close. Heavy gauge wire which is solid & safe. Lighter weight than wrought iron for shipping & everyday handling. They don't knock down, though.

I thought that Amazon link was for a local vendor? It said the shipping was free.

Yes, Rakuten is total madness. I once posted about a jar of plain old Nutiva Red Palm Oil for 4 digits AND they didn't even pay freight. BUT if you're willing to dig thru the insanity you might also find some equally crazy good deals on the right day.

I think the one I linked is of the same quality and $200 cheaper.

Thanks for all the help.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, but a little small if I'm gonna be out of town for a few days to a week, and she's at my Mother in Laws.

I use her sleep cage, a dog kennel, for when I have to take her to the vets or things like that. She is also harness trained for small outings.

Thanks for the link though.

I have two of these, and they are really good quality. We use them to take the greys outside with us while we are working in the yard, until the aviary is completed. Then, when it is, we can use these to take them straight into the aviary.

If I traveled a lot and had to use a sitter, this cage would not be large enough, but it's perfect for traveling and for an emergency situation. A larger dog kennel would be a great idea to use when they are staying somewhere and they won't be let out as much. They are collapsible, too.